2019 Broncos Line-up

Sharpshooter Isaako handling the heat

Jamayne Isaako is ticking all the boxes to ensure he improves on an impressive debut season.
Wednesday was a training day off for the Broncos players but he tied up the laces and went out in the 37-degree heat to make sure he kicks his weekly quota of 100 goals.

Been so long since we've had a kicker who actually took pride in his goal kicking, last one was probably De Vere.

Parker & Lockyer were both terrible makeshift kickers.

Brisbane rookie Andre Savelio fit again and ready to prove himself

FEBRUARY 12, 2019
Andre Savelio was once compared to Sonny-Bill Williams and now the Broncos’ English sensation is ready to show the NRL what he is made of.
This week marks a year since Savelio’s NRL dream was shattered by a knee injury in a Broncos pre-season trial in regional Queensland.
Ironically, Savelio will pull on a Broncos jersey for the first time since undergoing a knee reconstruction when Brisbane faces Souths-Logan in Warwick on Saturday night.
a262bfef32bdcea13dc160b9efc163c4

Savelio impressing for St Helens back in 2015. (Gareth Copley/Getty Images)
The Broncos brought Savelio to Brisbane in late 2017 with the hope he would develop into a destructive backrower.
Likened in physical stature to dual-code superstar Williams, Savelio was a gun on the rise with Warrington in the Super League before making the long trek to Australia.
But Savelio’s NRL dream hit a hurdle when his knee buckled just 14 minutes into his Broncos debut, relegating him to the sidelines for the entire 2018 season.
At 188cm and 108kg, the New Zealand-born Savelio is an imposing prospect for the Broncos and will start in the backrow against the Magpies alongside Redcliffe’s Jamil Hopoate.
Savelio, 23, has age on his side in his quest to make it in the NRL like English imports Sam Burgess and James Graham.
And the Broncos are expecting big things from him this season after he fought back from injury to get back into the NRL selection mix.
“Andre has done a lot of work to get his knee back to what it was at this time last year,” said Broncos hooker Jake Turpin.
“I hope Andre is full of confidence this weekend because he is a special player as well.
“All the boys are pretty happy for him to get out there and play footy again.”
Competition is fierce to play in Brisbane’s back row this year.
Test and Origin star Matt Gillett will return from a neck injury in Round 1 and new coach Anthony Seibold has to pick a partner for him out of Alex Glenn, Jaydn Su’A and David Fifita.
Tevita Pangai Jr is expected to start at lock, however he is another potential edge backrower for Seibold to choose from.
Seibold will hand over the clipboard to assistant coach Kurt Richards for the Warwick trial.
The Broncos will play Wynnum-Manly (February 23) and the Gold Coast Titans (March 2) in their other pre-season trials. Source: Courier Mail.
Have a good feeling about this fella. Might be our dark horse (pun intended).

Have a good feeling about this fella. Might be our dark horse (pun intended).

I like the thought of him in the backrow for us. If he plays anything like Sonny Bill that'd be amazing

Oh God, we are about to get bombarded with more WB stories. I thought this crap was over. It will never be over as long as he draws breath.

I moved it to another thread as I had a rethink after posting not suitable in this thread, enough of them to have this sort of discussion then one dedicated to the Broncos lineup for 2019.

Last edited:
Oh God, we are about to get bombarded with more WB stories. I thought this crap was over. It will never be over as long as he draws breath.
Correct. Get used to it and get over it.

Broncos’ plan to make James Roberts into a deadlier weapon
7bd3e7cd157093c629fe9579d79c4355

James Roberts says he is primed to become even more lethal this season, revealing Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has formulated a new game plan for “The Jet” to terrorise NRL rivals.
The Broncos’ fastest player launches his 2019 campaign when he turns out for the Indigenous All Stars against their New Zealand Maori rivals at AAMI Park in Melbourne.
The 25-year-old runs out for his Aboriginal people buoyed by the most rewarding season of his career last year, having clinched his maiden NSW Origin jumper, sweet reward for his try-scoring brilliance at the Broncos.
Now Brisbane have plans to take Roberts to another level of dominance, with the speed machine hoping a new attacking approach under Seibold can make him the NRL’s No.1 centre.
93319de78131fa3d0e5da1d61497ad11

Roberts is enjoying a fresh approach under Seibold. Photo: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
Speaking for the first time since the sacking of Wayne Bennett, Roberts says he never planned to follow the super coach to South Sydney as he sets his sights on premiership glory at the Broncos.
“I definitely think I can get better this year, a lot better. I haven’t reached my peak,” said Roberts, who will partner NSW Origin teammate Latrell Mitchell in the centres on Friday night.
“I will attack a bit more this year I think. ‘Seibs’ has changed our structures in both defence and attack and I believe it will suit the type of players we have in our team.
“I was always happy to stay at the Broncos. Wayne was good to me but I wanted to see what Seibs could bring as a coach and he has been excellent. He’s a great bloke and I like the way he is planning on using me this year.
2941b1233d864e070e6fbdde92cf54fd

The Indigenous All Stars will unleash Roberts against the Maoris. Photo: Kelly Defina/Getty Images
“I’ve been working on some smaller things in my game. I need to be more consistent and that’s something the coaching staff are working on to get me to that level.
“I’m really excited about our game plan this year, Seibs has definitely refreshed the group and his ideas have helped me, too.
“Wayne has a job to do with Souths now and I wish him well, but I’m contracted to the Broncos so my focus is on them.
“I need to perform week to week during the season.”
Roberts, who scored one of the tries of the 2018 NRL season with his 70-metre scorcher against the Roosters in round 11, admits he still battling a niggling Achilles injury that affected him last year.
Brisbane’s new training regimen under Seibold has seen Roberts bulk up to 96kg, two kilos heavier than his playing weight last season.
6b6bad08bc6c8020f8a1e3ab9e515536

8fbeff1c608fe2f689de4379d04efe9f

'Wayne has a special aura'
“I’ve put on a few kilos, I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been,” he said.
“It wasn’t quite planned that way. I’m still not 100 per cent fit, I’ve had a few niggles with my Achilles still, so I’m trying to train hard while managing the load I put on my Achilles.
“It’s taken ages for it to heal but I won’t need surgery on it. The medical staff say it will get better with time, so I will definitely be fit for round one.”
Roberts hopes to come charging out of the blocks on Friday night.
“I’m very proud to be wearing the Indigenous jumper again,” he said. “I’m really proud to represent my family and my people … I’m feeling fresh and ready to go.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...n/news-story/62b35299015f54958d3bd1271a681474

There's an interesting article up on NRL.com where Seibold highlights two areas he wants to address.

Last year the Broncos finished 15th for play-the-ball speeds in attack and shifts. He wants the forwards to fight harder in the play the ball and give Anthony and Kodi more time to use the football.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/14...to-unlocking-best-in-brisbane-broncos-halves/

I know it's borderline common sense stuff like 'miss less tackles, score more points' but it's reassuring to hear the coach touch on a problem, why it's significant and how he plans to address it.

Last edited:
There's an interesting article up on NRL.com where Seibold highlights two areas he wants to address.

Last year the Broncos finished 15th for play-the-ball speeds in attack and shifts. He wants the forwards to fight harder in the play the ball and give Anthony and Kodi more time to use the football.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/14...to-unlocking-best-in-brisbane-broncos-halves/

I know it's borderline common sense stuff like 'miss less tackles, score more points' but it's reassuring to hear the coach touch on a problem, why it's significant and how he plans to address it.
In what is a completely unrelated coincidence, we also received the least number of penalties last year.

Conspiracy theory:

Thomas Dearden is 17 years old, yet he is named in the Broncos first grade squad on the Broncos website.

Want to know when he turns 18 and is officially available for selection? The day before the Broncos play the Storm in Round 1.

6. Milford
7. Dearden

14. Nikorima

Conspiracy theory:

Thomas Dearden is 17 years old, yet he is named in the Broncos first grade squad on the Broncos website.

Want to know when he turns 18 and is officially available for selection? The day before the Broncos play the Storm in Round 1.

6. Milford
7. Dearden

14. Nikorima

Coupled with Niko’s position on the site being hooker

He’s come so far. A wasted opportunity if he doesn't knuckle down.

I said this several times last year on Fai when people randomly selected him in the Broncos. He just wasn't interested, he looked unhappy all season. He couldn't even follow Dennis and for a fringey that's life made.

Conspiracy theory:

6. Milford
7. Dearden

14. Nikorima

Brother plays for Tweed 18's this year and was at the Broncos the other day talking to important people.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • porouian
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Allo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Justwin
  • Fatboy
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • levikaden
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Brotherdu
  • winslow_wong
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Volvo Driver
... and 41 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.