2019 Broncos Season Review

Easy. Started out as pure shit, then graduated to mostly shit where you think it might possibly start to become less shit, then back to pure shit, then finished up as **** me drunk this shit is so bad it makes me pine for the games when we were just pure shit.

We got what we deserved, as well as the organisation as a whole.
This side needs a complete overhaul.
An entirely new spine is needed imo.
I’m more then happy not to see Boyd, McCulloch, Milford, Oates, Isaako at the club in 2020.
We must go after Sezer or Croft in the off-season.
Turpin to 9. Bird or Staggs to 1. Seggy to keep his 14 jersey.
Milford for mine has been the biggest disappointment (obviously along with Boyd,) and shouldn’t even be on 400k a season let alone a million.
He hasn’t done a thing since 2015, very overrated imo.
Dearden, Herbie, Coates and paix to all become regulars throughout 2020, starting from rd1.
Seibold has the off season to completely turn around this side, including key positional changes or his NRL coaching days will be over before 2020 is done.

This club has turned into an absolute embarrassment and laughing stock of the NRL.
They will be in massive trouble if a second Brisbane team is introduced, no doubt about it!

1. Boyd - MAJOR FAIL. There has been a lot said about him already. Absolutely dreadful display this year.
2. Oates - FAIL. He started sort of on fire, scoring 7 or so tries in the first 3 or 4 matches. From then on he's mostly been terrible. Only 2nd to Dugan in terms of errors this year NRL wide. Of course having Boyd there doesn't help him, but we can only judge what we see.
3. Glenn - PASS. He's been one of our most consistent players this season. Consistent, without being great though.
4. Staggs - PASS. He's been a bit of a revelation in attack, but good god his defence is incredibly poor.
5. Isaako - MAJOR FAIL. He's had a couple of great games, but rubbish in every other one.
6. Milford - FAIL. He's just nowhere near as good as we thought he'd be. Traded his running game for an occasionally good kicking game. No support, but a real gun half would still do more than what he did.
7. SOS/Dearden - PASS. Nothing impressive yet, just kids. They have a LONG way to go, and if we think they'll turn this side around next year at their age and level of experience, we have another thing coming.
8. Haas - MAJOR PASS. Everything about him has been said already. Our best player.
9. McCullough - FAIL. Again, everything has already been said, nothing more to add.
10. LODGE - PASS. I actually think he's overrated, a penalty and error magnet and a late tackle count runner. Obvious quality, but needs to fix up those problems ASAP.
11. Fifita - MAJOR PASS. Playing really well. Gun running the ball. Needs to be more of a team player in the future, hopefully he'll learn. Maybe it's not his fault.
12. Gillet - FAIL. Just looks waaaay past it most of the time.
13. Ofahengaue - FAIL. No idea. He hasn't been terrible, but he's capable of bad misses and is Lodge like in his errors and penalties given. Can't believe we signed him on $500K. Players like him a dime a dozen.

14. Turpin - PASS. Clearly our best hooker now. Clearly our worst half next to Boyd too. Don't see him as a long term option, but hopefully he pushes Macca out.
15. TPJ - PASS. Can be devastating, but has to be the dumbest player in the squad. Needs to stop getting suspended every other game.
16. Flegler - PASS. If it wasn't for Haas, he'd be Rookie of the Year with Turps. Looks quality for a 19 year old.
17. Carrigan - PASS. He's been solid, but I don't see a superstar in him. 2 years older than Flegler, and doesn't look any better really.

18. Segeyaro - PASS. He's helped win a couple of games for us. Not a gun runner like we wanted him to be.
19. Shibasaki - FAIL. Yikes.
20. Bird - FAIL. Turning out to be one of our worst ever buys so far. Has barely played a dozen games over 2 years. Needs to have an insane season next year.

Seibold - FAIL. Season has been a massive failure so far. It doesn't feel like he has a long term plan other than hoping and praying these kids turn out to be stars.

Easy. Started out as pure shit, then graduated to mostly shit where you think it might possibly start to become less shit, then back to pure shit, then finished up as **** me drunk this shit is so bad it makes me pine for the games when we were just pure shit.

1. Boyd - MAJOR FAIL. There has been a lot said about him already. Absolutely dreadful display this year.
2. Oates - FAIL. He started sort of on fire, scoring 7 or so tries in the first 3 or 4 matches. From then on he's mostly been terrible. Only 2nd to Dugan in terms of errors this year NRL wide. Of course having Boyd there doesn't help him, but we can only judge what we see.
3. Glenn - PASS. He's been one of our most consistent players this season. Consistent, without being great though.
4. Staggs - PASS. He's been a bit of a revelation in attack, but good god his defence is incredibly poor.
5. Isaako - MAJOR FAIL. He's had a couple of great games, but rubbish in every other one.
6. Milford - FAIL. He's just nowhere near as good as we thought he'd be. Traded his running game for an occasionally good kicking game. No support, but a real gun half would still do more than what he did.
7. SOS/Dearden - PASS. Nothing impressive yet, just kids. They have a LONG way to go, and if we think they'll turn this side around next year at their age and level of experience, we have another thing coming.
8. Haas - MAJOR PASS. Everything about him has been said already. Our best player.
9. McCullough - FAIL. Again, everything has already been said, nothing more to add.
10. LODGE - PASS. I actually think he's overrated, a penalty and error magnet and a late tackle count runner. Obvious quality, but needs to fix up those problems ASAP.
11. Fifita - MAJOR PASS. Playing really well. Gun running the ball. Needs to be more of a team player in the future, hopefully he'll learn. Maybe it's not his fault.
12. Gillet - FAIL. Just looks waaaay past it most of the time.
13. Ofahengaue - FAIL. No idea. He hasn't been terrible, but he's capable of bad misses and is Lodge like in his errors and penalties given. Can't believe we signed him on $500K. Players like him a dime a dozen.

14. Turpin - PASS. Clearly our best hooker now. Clearly our worst half next to Boyd too. Don't see him as a long term option, but hopefully he pushes Macca out.
15. TPJ - PASS. Can be devastating, but has to be the dumbest player in the squad. Needs to stop getting suspended every other game.
16. Flegler - PASS. If it wasn't for Haas, he'd be Rookie of the Year with Turps. Looks quality for a 19 year old.
17. Carrigan - PASS. He's been solid, but I don't see a superstar in him. 2 years older than Flegler, and doesn't look any better really.

18. Segeyaro - PASS. He's helped win a couple of games for us. Not a gun runner like we wanted him to be.
19. Shibasaki - FAIL. Yikes.
20. Bird - FAIL. Turning out to be one of our worst ever buys so far. Has barely played a dozen games over 2 years. Needs to have an insane season next year.

Seibold - FAIL. Season has been a massive failure so far. It doesn't feel like he has a long term plan other than hoping and praying these kids turn out to be stars.

Agree with everything you said, pretty much.
[automerge]1568535583[/automerge]
I started hearing those winds of shit back in the trial games.

Last edited:
To me, the issues were obvious last year. I'm not talking Boyd, or McCullough, or Bird, or any player at all. To me, the issue was that we just simply weren't doing the fundamentals. Discipline, possession, field position, pressure. Most people were fucking delirious when Bennett was punted for Mr Harvard. **** yeah, music in the gyms! High five! Faster than game speed. What a concept, high ten! Metrics, buzz words, shiny stuff, let's rub our genitals together in anticipation!!!

For me it meant **** all, because it was pretty fucking obvious what the problems were, and it hasn't changed. It's fucking gone backwards. Anyone who wants to argue otherwise can **** off back to Disneyland.

Players have to go, that's for sure. Boyd is cooked. I have never once bought in to the McCullough is shit idea, even though it's now the fallacy that has become truth because it's been repeated often enough. But there's no room for 3 hookers at the club, and if Turpin is cheaper, or if it's deemed McCullough is mentally fucked like half the 2015 squad, then he can go too.

I'd allow Seibold the same leeway I afforded Bennett in that injuries played a part - right now we're missing Bird (again), and our two genuine halves. But Seibold had SOS available last week, and decided to overlook him, he had the chance and proved he would rather play Turpin and Boyd in the halves.

I don't want an off-season telling us how X player is the fittest they've ever been. Or records are being broken in the gym. Or there is this amazing technique being used in the NFL where they don Astronaut suits and practice flick passes in zero gravity. I want to hear that the players are getting flogged to within an inch of their lives, and if they still aren't making second and third efforts under extreme fatigue then they're being sent to dig ditches for a week. I want to hear that the players are being thrown footballs from all directions while having lazers pointed at their eyes and if they don't catch the ball, they're having their hands held in boiling water for a week. I want discipline instilled, attention-to-detail, and the fundamentals drilled in to them way before a fucking buzz word is even uttered.

Honestly, I'm an optimistic person in most areas of life so I always look for signs of progress but I just have not fucking found any.

I was always a Bennett fan but our regression and performances in the games that count weren't great, still, there was always some backbone and belief that if we turn up, we were good enough to match any team (except Melbourne).

So every game this year I've been watching, with the exception of a few games we have been utter shit in every game. I've been looking for little subtle signs of improvements.

Under the previous coach we did a lot of things well, but just lacked in a few key areas.

1 - Spine - It wasn't the worst but there was definitely adjustments needed
- It has just been worse this year by absolutely any measure
2 - 5th tackle set and game plans - We used to play the same almost every week and our 5th tackle options were pretty dumb, execution pretty bad
- We're worse in that department too
3 - The basics - Set completions, building pressure slowly
- Actually worse again
4 - Mentally weak - Well we were always bad there
- Even worse this year, we went from 1 capitulation a month to 2-3 a month
5 - Making better use of our forwards
- Zilch
6 - Having an attacking structure that doesn't rely on individual brilliance scoring a flukey try?
- Even worse, we don't even have a 3 on 2 overlap, there's not a single set play I can say we're decent at
7 - Ruck control - Bennett is famously against the wrestle, Seibold said it's a core part of the game
- Absolutely nothing I've noticed in this area either.

Honestly, I'm not being negative for the sake of it but if someone can tell me any concrete areas they've noticed that we have improved at as a team that gives them confidence for next season I'd love to hear it because as it stands, going into next year without significant personnel changes I can only see us getting even worse somehow.

Last edited:
As bad as this season has been, and it's been a dreadful season, I think we can give the comp a real shake next year if the organisation has the nuts to make tough calls. We can make a side like this happen:

1. Milf (get him fit and emphasise his running game. If he can't rediscover it cut him)
2. Farnworth/ Coates/ Perese/ Kennar/ Vudogo
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Refer to the above. Seriously, we have plenty of options
6. Foran
7. Croft/ Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan
14. Seggy/ Paix
15. Offa (almost in cya later territory)
16. Flegler
17. Glenn

Last edited:
Agree with everything you said, pretty much.
[automerge]1568535583[/automerge]

I started hearing those winds of shit back in the trial games.

Since about round five the shit birds had well and truly covered our season in shit.

Brilliant
[automerge]1568535989[/automerge]
That's a LOL compliment bty😅

Last edited:
58-0 smells of massive cultural issues.
The organisation needs an independent review, board down.

Get it done.

I had turned off after the first 20 so I only learned of the proper scoreline recently.

I'm sorry but I just cannot lie, I do not trust Seibold to take this team into the future. He will slowly but surely squeeze the players that are actually worth a pinch of shit right out of this place.

So.....

Anyone else play 2K20? Long off season coming up.

Active Now

• Battler
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.