2019 Origin Discussion

Friend was absolute dogshit for most of last year.

I still think he was made for origin and would gel better with the side than Macca has done. Can tackle all day and has more variation in attack too.

He was always the guy next in line to replace Smith up until Mal left and Kev took over (Broncos Bias). Kev has completely overlooked Friend in favour of Macca.

And I believe Kev is considering Hunt at 9 this year or as a bench hooker... It's pretty bad. Just pick Friend.

Last edited:
I still think he was made for origin and would gel better with the side than Macca has done. Can tackle all day and has more variation in attack too.

He was always the guy next in line to replace Smith up until Mal left and Kev took over (Broncos Bias). Kev has completely overlooked Friend in favour of Macca.

And I believe Kev is considering Hunt at 9 this year or as a bench hooker... It's pretty bad. Just pick Friend.
He was first in line until he turned to shit and McCullough was better than him. Roosters fans were calling for him to be dropped

Upload 2019 2 12 15 38 54

He was first in line until he turned to shit and McCullough was better than him. Roosters fans were calling for him to be dropped

I remember how he played. He had a rough patch.. Fans have short memories though

Last edited:
First half of the year, Macca was definitely the best of the non-Smith competition - Friend and Granville were terrible. Friend definitely got better towards the end of the season, but too late to be picked for QLD that year obviously.

First half of the year, Macca was definitely the best of the non-Smith competition - Friend and Granville were terrible. Friend definitely got better towards the end of the season, but too late to be picked for QLD that year obviously.
Exactly right. Friend was terrible until after Origin and Roosters fans wanted him gone. Based on that form, plus McCullough actually playing pretty well, Friend had no chance at Origin.

That was not what one would call an entertaining highlight reel. Also what year was that, 2015? You think Friend should have been picked over McCullough because he had an alright year 3 years before?

More highlights in one year from Friend than Macca has made in however many hundreds of games he's played.

The clip was an irrelevant post with no point to make though.

More highlights in one year from Friend than Macca has made in however many hundreds of games he's played.

The clip was an irrelevant post with no point to make though.
That is simply not true at all and shows that this conversation isn't worth anyone's time.

I remember how he played. He had a rough patch.. Fans have short memories though

That highlights video was from bloody 2013 ... you think Friend should have been picked for origin based off his highlights from 5 years earlier FMD ... plus that was only 1 min 28 seconds out of the entire 2013 season

see evidence below:

Capture

Last edited:
Friend & McCullough are apples and apples if you ask me, very similar players. Both make their living on the defensive end, neither of them have great kicking games or electric running games. Kev chose McCullough, unless there's a smokey that comes out of the wood works, I can't see any scenario Macca isn't the 9 for QLD again this year.

Friend & McCullough are apples and apples if you ask me, very similar players. Both make their living on the defensive end, neither of them have great kicking games or electric running games. Kev chose McCullough, unless there's a smokey that comes out of the wood works, I can't see any scenario Macca isn't the 9 for QLD again this year.

It's more personality wise, and cohesion between spine players on the field. I think Friend would gel nicely with DCE and Munster.

I do think Friend is a more naturally gifted footballer, rather than a manufactured knock off of Cam Smith.

Macca just doesn't have that next level (mentally or physically) where he can just turn it on for the 80 and decide a game. His version of that is deciding he'll attempt a couple of 40/20's. It's pretty boring and is the reason why having a bench hooker with a bit of spark is a good thing with him.

Walters will probably pick Macca at 9 and Hunt on the bench as his replacement. Hunt will be used when the side actually needs something out of dummy half other than passing.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.