2020 Origin Discussion

If I recall over the years, there's been a few members who would complain that we have too many origin players. Now, it looks like we will only have 1-2 players who are good enough for origin. Does that mean our team will be playing better?

Last edited:
channel nine believe that Carrigan and Ofahengaue are the only Broncos likely to be named in the Maroons train on squad

also saying that Mal could be the caretaker coach for QLD if Kevvie has to step down for this years series

giphy.gif

If I recall over the years, there's been a few members who would complain that we have too many origin players. Now, it looks like we will only have 1-2 players who are good enough for origin. Does that mean our team will be playing better?
I don't think you recall correctly.
Of course Bronco fans complain of the impact Origin has on the team, and that is directly related to how many Origin players we hae, but nobody has been saying oh damn I wish we had less good players.

QRL boss: Walters to stay involved with Maroons
Joel Gould
Tue 29 Sep 2020, 12:56 PM

Broncos coach-in-waiting Kevin Walters is set to stay involved with the Maroons for this year's State of Origin series following talks between powerbrokers at Brisbane and the QRL.

While Walters, who is set to be unveiled as the new Broncos coach in the coming days, won't be staying on as Maroons coach he will be involved in vital work in the leadup to the series which starts on November 4 in Adelaide.

QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher has spoken to Broncos chairman Karl Morris and said he had agreed "in principle" that Walters could have an input, with the nuts and bolts still to be nutted out.

"We expect and know that Kevin will be involved in the upcoming series in some shape or form. I have rung [Broncos chairman] Karl Morris this morning and said that we expect they would be flexible," Hatcher told NRL.com on Tuesday.

"That is given that Kevin has been our coach the whole year, that it is very late in the piece and there is a lot of work to be done with the train-on squad which will be based in Queensland – and Kevin is really the only one that can do it.

"So we expect to have him look after that aspect of it which will take us up to the end of October when they will go into a camp.

"This week we expect to know who the new coach for 2020 will be, and we expect him to be supported by all the intellectual property and knowledge that Kevin has at his disposal."

Hatcher said the extent of Walters's involvement would be "fair to him and fair to us".

"He has been appointed at the Broncos very late and he has all the player rosters, culture and other issues to deal with," Hatcher said.

"We don’t want to be left without all the knowledge and work he has done and we want to make sure he can do his big job now, which is as head coach of an NRL club."

Hatcher said he appreciated the understanding of Morris who just wanted to be sure that Walters’s commitments to the Maroons were not "too onerous".

"His big question was whether it was going to be 50 hours a week, which it won’t be," Hatcher said.

The QRL has put together a committee to decide on the appointment of a head coach for the 2020 State of Origin series only, given the extraordinary and unprecedented developments that have unfolded.

The race looks like ultimately being between Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga, who coached the Maroons to nine series wins, including eight in a row, and Wayne Bennett who won five of the seven series he coached.

"It is a three-man battle between Paul Green, Mal Meninga and Wayne Bennett and given the peculiar circumstances of the appointment and the lateness of the situation it is more than likely to be between two – Meninga and Bennett," Hatcher said.

"Paul has never coached Origin and the other two guys both know what Origin is all about.

"This year is different. Origin is on at the end of the season and we have got a train-on squad and people who play through the finals, so it is going to be straight into camp in early November and hit the ground running.”

Hatcher said Meninga's availability had the support of the ARLC.

"They think that given he has not done any coaching this year and may not do any next year, because it is questionable the World Cup will go ahead, that this situation is a specific case," he said.

Good. Kevvie can get in the ears of a few of the Qld boys about potentially wearing maroon and yellow.

If he keeps playing like shit, sure. I'd definitely prefer to see him turn it around, especially with him being a Broncos junior.
I don't reckon he has been anything other than a plodder anyway.....
I'd be happy to cut him loose right now.

The fact he's even being mentioned in the same topic as origin is a sad indictment of just where QLD is at.

Last edited:
I'm Ok with this from the Broncos ... seems like a good compromise. especially since pre-season training will start latter than usual.

so with the required 7 weeks off the players get, our pre-season can even begin until mid-late November. (it will be after xmas before the couple of origin players we have can return).

I'm Ok with this from the Broncos ... seems like a good compromise. especially since pre-season training will start latter than usual.

so with the required 7 weeks off the players get, our pre-season can even begin until mid-late November. (it will be after xmas before the couple of origin players we have can return).
Gould hinted last night that V’landys will not allow any clubs to start pre-season before January.

I think it's absolutely fair enough. It's not like Kev is coming from another club and needing a break either, he's been working up to this Origin series for nearly 18 months now.

An extended break for the club is probably a good thing given our 2020 to be honest.

Last edited:
Good. Kevvie can get in the ears of a few of the Qld boys about potentially wearing maroon and yellow.

he can start with Munster ... I personally like him at fullback ,,, but he could also be the perfect partner for Dearden in the halves

Last edited:
Bennett to coach Qld, QRL feel it's best they have a coach who has had experience with the rule changes.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, this six again stupidity is going to be in origin???

So...Paul Green, poor dude, left standing at the altar of 5 coaching vacancies. Would he come on board as an assistant? Would he want to? Would we want him to?

Right, because Wayne won't be distracted by coaching a side that's challenging in the finals or anything.

What a stupid decision to take the gig off KW when he's been preparing for it all year. The rule change justification is nonsense.

Right, because Wayne won't be distracted by coaching a side that's challenging in the finals or anything.

Finals will be well and truly over before the Origin camp starts, why would they affect anything?

Finals will be well and truly over before the Origin camp starts, why would they affect anything?

Reckon Wayne has been watching games this season thinking about which players he'll pick for Origin?

I take your point and I didn't realise there was such a big break, I just don't see why KW didn't keep the role for this series.

What a stupid decision to take the gig off KW when he's been preparing for it all year. The rule change justification is nonsense.

QRL didn't take the gig off Walters.

that was his and the Broncos decision.

the last report had Walters taking care of the train-on squad and then handing over to his replacement.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.