2020 Origin Discussion

Yet he has 8 origin games, in which he was quite good. Dane Gagai has been rubbish for Souths, he is still getting picked. Runs on the board means a lot in origin.

Huh?

Sure he's not the best player in the comp but I think he's actually been one of their better players this year.

Huh?

Sure he's not the best player in the comp but I think he's actually been one of their better players this year.
Seriously? Gagai is basically Nate Myles. Hasn't played well in club land since he was at Newcastle.

Seriously? Gagai is basically Nate Myles. Hasn't played well in club land since he was at Newcastle.
He's been very good in the games I've watched him this year.

Gagai has been significantly better at club land this year than any previous year. The numbers back that up, he's playing very well.

He has a few good games a year. Really depends what games you've watched.
I haven't watched every game, but I've watched most games this year and he's been very good every game I've watched. I know he's been pretty poor in previous years but he's been excellent for mine at club level this year. He's a walk in for origin on form, or incumbency.

I haven't watched every game, but I've watched most games this year and he's been very good every game I've watched. I know he's been pretty poor in previous years but he's been excellent for mine at club level this year. He's a walk in for origin on form, or incumbency.

Second this. I haven't watched every Souths game either but seen most of them and he's been excellent.

Which games have you watched, @BooKhaki ?

Allan on the wing please, anything to keep Oates far away from the side

In the previous seasons Gagai definitely Nate Myles'd it up a bit, but he still wasn't even close to being as bad as Oates has been this year, and Oates never came close to being as good as Gagai was when both played for QLD, so I don't think you can really compare them.

Second this. I haven't watched every Souths game either but seen most of them and he's been excellent.

Which games have you watched, @BooKhaki ?

He believes Turpin is a top 5 number 9, he isn't the best judge of talent at present.

In the previous seasons Gagai definitely Nate Myles'd it up a bit, but he still wasn't even close to being as bad as Oates has been this year, and Oates never came close to being as good as Gagai was when both played for QLD, so I don't think you can really compare them.
It was an example, not a comparison, and they also aren't competing as Gagai is 100% if fit. My point is Oates has had a bad year, but has 8 good games for QLD. He is a better option than debuting people who would need to play out of position. Oates is a confidence player, get him out of the dumpster fire that is Brisbane, and in a team with some talent and he'll be sweet.

Yet he has 8 origin games, in which he was quite good. Dane Gagai has been rubbish for Souths, he is still getting picked. Runs on the board means a lot in origin.
In the past.....history
He isn't an origin standard winger NOW

In the past.....history
He isn't an origin standard winger NOW
QLD have a history of people who weren't origin standard at the time, and they produce the goods.

If you give me a choice between Oates and playing someone like Allen or Brimson out of position, I'm taking Oates every time.

QLD have a history of people who weren't origin standard at the time, and they produce the goods.

If you give me a choice between Oates and playing someone like Allen or Brimson out of position, I'm taking Oates every time.
Won't argue the bolded bit.
As for picking Oates over Brimson, well that depends.
If picking Oates keeps Brimson out of the side then no way, I will definitely pick AJ over Oates.
But if AJ is still picked somewhere else, and Oates is literally the last man standing, yeah pick him on the wing and hope he does the classic QLD thing and play above his level, coz he will need to.

Has Brimson ever played on the wing? Even in reserve grade at all?

Haas, McInnes, Frizell, T.Trbojevic & J.Trbojevic the 5 players selected from the bottom 8 sides for the Blues extended squad.

Vaughan & T.Sims both left out, unsurprisingly, given their form.

Can probably pencil in the majority of the remaining 22 players with a decent amount of confidence:

Front rowers - Haas, Klemmer, D.Saifiti, Campbell-Gillard, Paulo
Second rowers - J.Trbojevic, Frizell, Murray, Matterson, Yeo, Cordner, A.Crichton
Hookers - Cook, McInnes
Halves - Cleary, Keary, Walker
Outside backs - T.Trbojevic, Wighton, Cotric, Addo-Carr, Ferguson, C.Graham, Mansour, D.Tupou
Fullbacks - Tedesco, Gutherson

That's 27, the number they're naming. Only players I could see maybe pushing in to that list are Wade Graham, Nathan Brown, Dale Finucane, but I'd say they're doubtful.

I'm not surprised Turbo has been selected but it's a little concerning a bloke can miss so much football yet still walk straight into the starting NSW team.

Turbo's quality is undeniable but it doesn't really send the right message to the other guys like Lomax who have been exceptional this season yet are being overlooked.

Active Now

• Stix
  • jd87
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • RolledOates
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.