2020 Round 1 Line up

What about signing some of those Fijians that played Australia yesterday. They could play fullback and both wings. Just a thought....

You can rule Croft out fellas, he won't be playing for us next year. Don't rule Blake Austin out of the equation to be signed to a halves spot is what I have been told.

I also heard the Austin thing (on the LU which is a meme, but the source seems trusted). Not the sort of half we need, but he’s been tearing up in England and is a quality player. Definitely better than Cody Walker the MIA merchant if we’re looking at those two.

I just can't see the point of Austin or Walker. We really need a halfback, not a running 5/8th... unless Seibs is 100% sure that Dearden is already one and will be the answer we need straight away.

I just can't see the point of Austin or Walker. We really need a halfback, not a running 5/8th... unless Seibs is 100% sure that Dearden is already one and will be the answer we need straight away.

I just watched the highlights of our win over the Rorters in Round 10 and I tell you what, I had forgotten just how much potential Dearden had shown. He is certainly worth persisting with but he needs a mentor.

1. Valentine Holmes
2. Corey Oates
3. Darius Boyd
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Jamayne Isaako (gk)
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ash Taylor
8. Matthew Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. James Segeyaro
15. Alex Glenn
16. Joe Ofahengaue (vc)
17. Thomas Flegler

Backs Depth: Jesse Arthars, Izaia Perese, Xavier Coates, Herbie Farnworth, Gehamat Shibasaki, Fanitesi Niu
Halves Depth: Thomas Dearden, Corey Paix, Sean O'Sullivan
Forward Depth: Rhys Kennedy, Keenan Palasia, Ethan Bullemor, <Insert some young guy I haven't heard of>, <Insert new veteran signing>

Released: Jack Bird, Andrew McCullough, Matt Gillett, Richie Kennar
Signed: Valentine Holmes, Ash Taylor, Jesse Arthars

Why no Croft?
Because he is shit and is not who we need as a halfback. If the Storm don't think your good enough for them, there is generally a good reason and they of all clubs usually have someone better in waiting to fill a spot. Most players who leave the storm are suddenly shit and don't live up to expectations

In a perfect scenario we'd have:

1. Holmes
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Sezer
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. TPJ

14. Seggy/AM9
15. Ofahengaue
16. Gillett
17. Flegler/Carrigan

I'd have Boyd, Glenn and Lodge as a leadership group. Lodge can stay out of the public/commercial side of things initially while he refines his leadership and learns as much as he can from the other senior players with a goal of transitioning him to the senior leader over the next couple of seasons as Boyd and Glenn retire, either becoming our outright Captain or forming a new group with Fifita, Carrigan etc.

This obviously hinges on us being able to release Bird and use those funds to sign Holmes and Sezer. I'm not sure how realistic that would be but I think if it was possible it's something we should definitely pursue. Holmes speaks for himself, he's the best Fullback potentially on the market and Sezer could really help to unlock Milford at 5/8 and obviosuly nurture Dearden along as our long term prospect as well.

Last edited:
Seriously. She’s fantastic.
I said the exact same thing last year and included brailey in the statement. The way they drove that team around the field made our spine look like under 7s.
[automerge]1569207104[/automerge]
Other than the price tag, the thing about holmes is that he is likely to have lost a lot of the aerobic capacity/endurance required for the position. NFL has a break every 8 secs so there is need to maintain his endurance. That will take time to build back, or we end up with another lazy fullback

Last edited:
Because he is shit and is not who we need as a halfback. If the Storm don't think your good enough for them, there is generally a good reason and they of all clubs usually have someone better in waiting to fill a spot. Most players who leave the storm are suddenly shit and don't live up to expectations

it is not that the Storm don't think he is good enough for them. He was the halfback that got them the minor premiership ... the rumour is that Pap needs a substantial upgrade and they are looking to move Croft on so they have the space in their salary cap to give him the upgrade ...

Croft is not the answer and I really hope we don't sign him. Would much prefer Sezer or Townsend for a couple of years.

Yes but not necessarily with halfs. Melbourne's halves play a structured game. Cody Walker, Maloney, and
it is not that the Storm don't think he is good enough for them. He was the halfback that got them the minor premiership ... the rumour is that Pap needs a substantial upgrade and they are looking to move Croft on so they have the space in their salary cap to give him the upgrade ...

Croft is only a year or two in front of Dearden in terms of experience.Townsend won't leave Cronulla and I don't think he is one of the better options. I think it comes down to Sezer, Lewis or Croft

Croft is creative playmaker with defensive flaws.
Sezer is a good kicker and organiser but doesn't always put it together
Lewis has a good kicking game and a great defender but like Croft only a year or two in front of Dearden.

No standout options here. I like Lewis because of his defense.

If we could nab two of Sezer, Lewis and Croft while offloading Boyd and Bird I'd take that

Last edited:
I seen someone mention Elgey earlier in a thread, no idea what he’s like now but that 2015 highlight video of him is pretty nice.

Not sold on Townsend and fairly on the fence with Sezer.

Who is he even playing for? Haven't seen him play for ages.
I believe he moved up to Manly then got putned to reserves there and last I heard he's looking at actually retiring since he doesn't see a future in the NRL. We could probably get him at minimum wage but there's nothing I've ever seen in him that tells me he's worth a punt. He's like a poor man's Milford.

Woeful defence, not much of a kicking game, can score the odd try but that's not what we need. He's a liability.

Last edited:
Wasn't that Sam Scarlett bloke carving up this year in Intrust Cup? Does he still have links with us? Might be worth a minimum contract for a year or two whilst our young brigade continue to develop.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Organix
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • Fatboy
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • bazza
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.