2020 Round 1 Line up

Thoughts on the halves mentioned:

Lachlan Lewis: Don't rate him at all. I mean, he seems to have a lot of time with his kicks for some reason, and seem to tackle hard, but everything else is below par. Can someone explain?

Townsend: He'd be probably the most expensive of the bunch. I think he's just a shittier Ben Hunt.

Sezer: Organising half without any potential any more. What you see is what you'll probably get. Would be fairly pricy.

Croft: Organising (it's hard to tell 100%, but sure seems like it) half, with potential. I liked what I've seen in parts. You always kinda worry about Melbourne players who leave Melbourne though.

Taylor: Absolutely broken right now. Could be worth a shot if the Titans cover 70%+ of his wage. Though it's not going to get any easier for him, there is massive pressure on whoever is going to play 7 for the Broncs. Can he handle it with his mind state?

Dearden: Seems like he has talent. Probably way too young for a full time NRL spot. In terms of pressure of the position and growing players being more injury prone.

Lachlan Lewis: Don't rate him at all. I mean, he seems to have a lot of time with his kicks for some reason, and seem to tackle hard, but everything else is below par. Can someone explain?

Townsend: He'd be probably the most expensive of the bunch. I think he's just a shittier Ben Hunt.

Sezer: Organising half without any potential any more. What you see is what you'll probably get. Would be fairly pricy.

Croft: Organising (it's hard to tell 100%, but sure seems like it) half, with potential. I liked what I've seen in parts. You always kinda worry about Melbourne players who leave Melbourne though.

Taylor: Absolutely broken right now. Could be worth a shot if the Titans cover 70%+ of his wage. Though it's not going to get any easier for him, there is massive pressure on whoever is going to play 7 for the Broncs. Can he handle it with his mind state?

Dearden: Seems like he has talent. Probably way too young for a full time NRL spot. In terms of pressure of the position and growing players being more injury prone.
Ideally, and i know it is not possible but it would be great if we could get dearden and paix/SOS playing on the same team in Q Cup so they could develop a good little combo when they develop into first grade.

But, as they say, wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills first.

Before we work out the team for next year, we need to know where the spots are in this squad that need to be filled with new blood. Additionally, if we are going spill blood this off-season, I reckon we need to go all-in. I have listed the following players who I believe we could afford to lose in anticipation of strengthening this squad and being more competitive next year. If any or all of these players leave, I believe our squad would not be any worse than 2019 and we would also have a significant war chest for retention and purchase in 2020 and beyond.
THE POSSIBLE DISCARDS
Jack Bird

This is a disappointing outcome because he seems to fit the criteria of being a winner and an effort player. Since he has reportedly asked permission to negotiate with other clubs, we should let him go in the interests of freeing up cash. Unfortunately, Jack has not established himself due to injury, so we will never know how good he could have been for us. As it stands, even if fit, there were only two possible positions in the team that he may have filled next year. You can discard fullback for reasons of fitness and confidence after the ACL. He would be a handy running five eighth but we don’t need one of them. We need two halves that can kick and control the game. Likewise left centre just does not suit his game. He is a right side centre like Staggs, and it appears that Seibold is happy to persist with the younger man for the future which is fine. That leaves the lock position. I think he would have been perfect for this role as a link man and runner in attack but I am also pretty happy with our forward pack as is. So the loss of Bird certainly hurts in terms of what might have been, but at the end of the day, and assuming a club picks up the contract in full or close to it, there is $600K - 800k we can allocate more efficiently next season and beyond.
(Running total of savings for 2020 = $600k - $800K)
Corey Oates
It is time to let Corey Oates go. Given that a contract has yet to be signed, the Broncos have an easy out on this one. We can certainly use his contract money (approx. 500K) next year and beyond. In my view, Oates’s involvement and contribution to the team falls well short of both his desired pay range and the perception of fans as to his value to the team. When Seibold talks about needing winners and effort players, Oates is the player I think least represents these two criteria. From my observations, he is the barometer player that tells me whether the Broncos are turning up or not. When he is switched on, he is very good. More often than not though, his mind is elsewhere and I don’t think he has a natural feel for the game. Despite the significant fan love for Oates, he is not a good finisher. I would love to see a statistic that highlights the ratio between tries scored and the times he has either spilt the ball in a try scoring opportunity or found himself pushed over the sideline. There are many better finishers in the NRL. He has also become very cumbersome when asked to changed direction and many of the good playmakers are seeing the benefit of kicking in behind him and asking him to turn and recover. His ball security has become atrocious. My observations of him at training suggest that he is a reluctant trainer and this is generally reflected in his performance on game day. The last straw was that ridiculous article he ‘wrote’ in the lead up to the Parramatta game where he implored the younger boys to ‘come with us’ when even the most blinkered of fans could see that it was the other way around. He’ll find a club and probably get himself a better deal.
(Running total of savings for 2020 = $1.1m - $1.3m)
Andrew McCullough
I think most people agree that Macca’s time is up in this team. His skill set just does not cut it in the NRL anymore. This team needs a busy, speedy and creative hooker capable of passing 15 metre spiral balls effectively on both sides with a decent short and long kicking game. Not sure Turpin is the man for this just yet but he will have to do for now. I have no doubt that a good manager would be looking to find a club willing to take Macca on a 3 year deal be it in England or in the NRL. His chances of finding a retirement contract will diminish if he digs his heels in at the Broncos so I expect he will go before the start of next season. A loyal and hardworking servant, but his time is up.
(Running total of savings for 2020 = $1.5m- 1.8m)
Matthew Gillett
Gillo’s situation is similar to Macca’s. The longer he stays, the less chance that another club will see value in signing him. I just think this team would be much better served by having TPJ running wide on the right side of the field. Gillett’s attack has become ineffective as compared to what TPJ is capable of and his defence this year at times was very ordinary. Whilst his neck injury has undoubtedly played a role in this, we don’t have the luxury of nursing him until he comes good. His best, I believe, offers nowhere near the best of a wide running TPJ or Fifita. The argument that he offers much needed experience can be offset by the fact that his influence this year and last did not prevent some of the insipid performances that he was involved in. If we keep him we probably have to play him which stifles our attack. You’ve been great Matt but it’s time to move on. We need to facilitate this.
(Running total of savings for 2020 = $2.0m - 2.4m)
Darius Boyd
Again, I think most people agree that Darius’s time is up with the Broncos however it seems that he is going to be difficult to shake and for this reason, I think we may just have to suck it up for another year with him. If he does get a game, my preference would be that it happens on the wing where defensively he is less likely to be burned by the speed of his opponents. I really hope though that behind the scenes there are discussions going on regarding a mutually beneficial divorce settlement. The last thing we need to see next year is a Broncos champion being booed by fans when his name appears on the big screen at our home games. Sadly, I reckon our ‘fans’ will do this. I think that despite all the stubborn bravado from Darius, he has played his last game.
(Running total of savings for 2020 = $2.4m – $3.0m).
Further on Darius, there was a rumour at some stage this year that Darius’s contract for next year was being front-ended using the money saved from the early departures of Niko, Roberts and Sua. I cannot recall where I heard or read this sorry, but I am wondering whether there is some truth to this and that his immunity to being dropped during 2019 and the very public and unwavering support he received from the coach was part of a sweetheart deal that sees him retire once next year’s contract period kicks in and we are forced to pay the remainder of his 2020 contract out, which may be far less than it otherwise could have been???
Jamayne Isaako
Despite winning the rookie of the year in 2018, I just don’t see much in Isaako, aside from his goal kicking. He is not a good finisher and is prone to a brain snap or three every single match. To me, he is one of those players whose head is never in the game and is far too inconsistent. Having signed a lengthy contract, it will be unlikely that he will go but I would not be surprised if he starts the year in Q Cup. Perhaps another ego pumping letter to Wayne would be enough for Souths to take him on for the remainder of his contract. If not, he stays here as a depth signing at best.
(Running total of savings for 2020 = $2.6m – 3.5m)
Anthony Milford
I love Milf and I would prefer that he stayed but there is no doubt that he is at the crossroads of his career at the Broncos. At 25, he should have established himself by now as a leader and the ‘go to’ half that we have been craving since Lockyer retired. Unfortunately, he is not that. A good half organises his forwards and sets up plays with deft passing and kicking. Milford’s passing game is very poor for a first grade five eighth let alone a million dollar five eighth. One of the contrasting features of our capitulation by Parramatta was the ease and skill with which the Eels halves and hooker could distribute the ball wide to each other and or to wide running forwards and outside backs to take advantage of our lazy defence. We do not currently have this level of passing skill in our halves, but we need it. For years, now we have struggled with organising our attack inside the opposition 30 and Milf has been one of the causes of this, with the hospital pass to an unsuspecting forward one of his favourite plays. His strengths lie in his running game and his ability to sniff around in support. I have come to the conclusion that cutting him loose from the club would not hinder us on the field all that much but would certainly help us off it in terms of the salary cap.
(Running total of savings for 2020 = $3.3m – 4.5m)

If he does stay and I’m confident he will, and in the absence of a quality fullback on the books, I think he can be very effective at fullback for us in what could well be his last chance at the Broncos. His role needs to be simplified though. He should spend the off season studying the way Tedesco plays. In attack, he simply tucks in behind the ruck in constant communication with the hooker looking for lazy markers and holes in which to run and run straight for a line break or a quick play the ball. Later in sets he might find himself wider and deeper for a set play but no matter what is happening, anyone who makes a break can be very confident that Tedesco will be running on in close support. Milf could do this as well. A simplified role that does not require him to kick at all would suit him too thus taking away the responsibility of planning ahead for the 5th tackle kick, a job he has not done well so far at fullback. That role should be the sole domain of the halves with the occasional involvement from the hooker.
On a side note, Milf had knee surgery today for that issue that hindered him earlier in the season and assumedly thereafter.

SIGNING TARGETS
Halves

Firstly, I think we give Tom Dearden all the time he needs to build into the role of halfback at this club and he should therefore be given the 7 jersey from day one of pre-season. Assuming he is able to get a release as suggested, I think Sezer represents the best player to take the reins at 6. He is 28 years old so brings much needed experience. We don’t need a superstar right now. Sezer is the type of player that will not bring the hype of others and therefore should be able to slip into the role without the heightened expectations of a less experienced but over hyped player like Ash Taylor or Brodie Croft. His role will be to take the general kicking duties and to organise the players around him. His kicking game is effective and exactly what we need. A two-year deal at overs will be ok.
We also need to find some cheapish back up halves who can or have the potential to play at NRL level.
Hooker
I have no idea who might be coming through in our pipeline of youngsters, But I think we need to sign someone as back-up to Turpin and Segeyaro. I understand Paix has been groomed as a hooker so that is a good start. Some additional depth for next year would not hurt. Isaac Luke as depth might be ok.
Left Centre
Would love to sign a seasoned left centre but I don’t have a clue who is available or able to fill that spot. Latrell anyone?
Others
Vunivalu might become available. Do we take him?
MY TEAM FOR ROUND ONE 2020
1. MILFORD
2. COATES
3. ARTHARS
4. STAGGS
5. FARNWORTH
6. SEZER
7. DEARDEN
8. LODGE
9. TURPIN
10.HAAS
11.FIFITA
12.TPJ
13.CARRIGAN
INTERCHANGE
14. PAIX
15. OFFA
16. FLEGLER
17. GLENN
(INSERT ANY ADDITIONAL SIGNINGS WHERE APPLICABLE)
Apologies for the long read guys. I got a bit carried away

Ideally, and i know it is not possible but it would be great if we could get dearden and paix/SOS playing on the same team in Q Cup so they could develop a good little combo when they develop into first grade.

But, as they say, wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills first.

That's what the Holden Cup would be for in a better world

I hear The Langer brothers (Allan and Kevin) can play a bit maybe give them a shot?

In a perfect scenario we'd have:

1. Holmes
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Folau
5. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Sezer
8. Lodge (C)
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. TPJ

14. Seggy
15. Ofahengaue
16. Gillett
17. Flegler/Carrigan

Um, I wonder what all the LGBT, as well as those who are not Christian/religious supremacist Broncos fans think of Christian Crackpot Folau in the team?

Last edited:
Um, I wonder what all the LGBT, as well as those who are not Christian/religious supremacist Broncos fans think of Christian Crackpot Folau in the team?

I'd take Hitler's reincarnated clone if that's what it took to get a premiership.

I'd recruit all the bad guys in a Rugby League-version of Space Jam if that's what it took.

Thoughts on Blake Austin?

I think you are completely spot on. In other words we are kind of fucked.

Of those mentioned, Croft + Milford, another signing at fullback and Dearden in the 14.

Yeah basically, or I could live with Sezer in a 2 year deal while we wait for Dearden to come of age. I don’t want to see Dearden in 14 though. That should be for Seggy and Dearden should have a year or two playing against men reserves.

Yeah basically, or I could live with Sezer in a 2 year deal while we wait for Dearden to come of age. I don’t want to see Dearden in 14 though. That should be for Seggy and Dearden should have a year or two playing against men reserves.

I get what you're saying but if Croft turns out to be a Taylor style flop, it would be nice to know Tom has been getting even some limited first grade time in so we have a contingency.

I get what you're saying but if Croft turns out to be a Taylor style flop, it would be nice to know Tom has been getting even some limited first grade time in so we have a contingency.

For sure. Where we differ is that I think he will benefit more from leading a team around and working on his game management in reserve grade than to be thrown on mid game in lord knows what kind of roll in the NRL.

Honestly, **** Folau. He has never been a team player, ever. I would hate to have what you know 100% sure is a genuine whackjob on the team, I couldn't even talk to that guy. And if he was on a team with me, I'd be making sure to walk up to him all the time when in the showers. I'd bet he looks at it.

For sure. Where we differ is that I think he will benefit more from leading a team around and working on his game management in reserve grade than to be thrown on mid game in lord knows what kind of roll in the NRL.

If we were even 80% sure about Croft, I would absolutely agree with you, but since there is so much doubt about his ability, I think that changes things a bit. There is a necessity for the club to hedge its bets if we can't sign an absolute sure thing like a Cronk or a DCE.

We can follow the Hunt/Nikorima model if necessary. Get him in to the utility role late in the 2nd half running straight at the markers. It simplifies his game in attack but also allows him to gain experience defending against big men in the top comp.

Billy slater said Brodie Croft is not the answer for broncos. And Danny Weiner said no interest in jack bird so far. His manager wants him to play fullback or five eighth.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • Skyblues87
  • Mister Wright
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.