NEWS 2020 spines ranked

Yeah for our spine to be ranked 13th... bit of a joke really. Once I saw thd likes of Penrith, Cowboys, Knights and Dragons rated more highly I stopped reading.

Yeah for our spine to be ranked 13th... bit of a joke really. Once I saw thd likes of Penrith, Cowboys, Knights and Dragons rated more highly I stopped reading.
Cowboys have Holmes and Morgan, proven guns, Granville who is pretty good, and they have Drinkwater who is a highly rated youungster who already has some runs on the board. They're easily in front of us.

Knights have Ponga, an absolute star, alongside Pearce who's perhaps not elite, but his club form is usually excellent, as well as Watson who is very handy too, so again, easily in front of us.

Dragons have Hunt and Norman who have played Origin, and McInnes who is one of the top 5 Dummy Halves in the game. They're pretty comfortably in front of us too.

Penrith are the only one I could probably argue is only just above us, because Cleary is the only real gun they have, but Edwards is a pretty strong Fullback too when in form so they have that in their favour.

Every side above us has at least one gun spine player, and some have several. We possibly have Milford, but it's been a while since he's played like a gun. All the others are mostly unproven at this point, so I think 13th is about right.

Last edited:
Cowboys have Holmes and Morgan, proven guns, Granville who is pretty good, and they have Drinkwater who is a highly rated youungster who already has some runs on the board. They're easily in front of us.

Knights have Ponga, an absolute star, alongside Pearce who's perhaps not elite, but his club form is usually excellent, as well as Watson who is very handy too, so again, easily in front of us.

Dragons have Hunt and Norman who have played Origin, and McInnes who is one of the top 5 Dummy Halves in the game. They're pretty comfortably in front of us too.

Penrith are the only one I could probably argue is only just above us, because Cleary is the only real gun they have, but Edwards is a pretty strong Fullback too when in form so they have that in their favour.

Every side above us has at least one gun spine player, and some have several. We possibly have Milford, but it's been a while since he's played like a gun. All the others are mostly unproven at this point, so I think 13th is about right.

And if 13th isn’t right, it’s not too far wrong. I mean we’re talking one or two spots up max. But a lot of other good spines don’t have the forward pack in front of them that the Broncs do, that’s where the difference will hopefully come.

I dont mind being the underdog or underrated (especially by dunces like crawley). It Fires up our spine to prove people wrong.

I think crawley's rating of the broncos had a lot to do with our 2019 form and the fact that half of our spine is essentially the same. Then there is Isaako who's 2019 form was patchy and croft who was essentially unwanted. As much as I believe this spine will go a lot better it's easy to understand the scepticism of it.

I think crawley's rating of the broncos had a lot to do with our 2019 form and the fact that half of our spine is essentially the same. Then there is Isaako who's 2019 form was patchy and croft who was essentially unwanted. As much as I believe this spine will go a lot better it's easy to understand the scepticism of it.
Yep, that's how I read it. It's easy to see the potential, but realistically it's highly unproven and has a lot of question marks over it.

All the sides just above us have at least one gun player who is in good touch, and in some cases more than one, but we have at most one gun player in Milford, who is coming off a pretty poor season, so you can easily see why we're ranked as low as we are at this stage.

Can't disagree with most of what Crawley says there. This really isn't a very good side and the spine hardly screams out success to me. Thankfully, they have a very promising forward attack who will keep the Broncos competitive on most occasions. But it is coached by a dude named Pies which is another minus for them and like last year, a playoff spot this year will be extremely touch and go.

Can't disagree with most of what Crawley says there. This really isn't a very good side and the spine hardly screams out success to me. Thankfully, they have a very promising forward attack who will keep the Broncos competitive on most occasions. But it is coached by a dude named Pies which is another minus for them and like last year, a playoff spot this year will be extremely touch and go.

Agree with the first two sentences mostly as potentially it is a great side but it is still a long way from that due to age and experience. The last sentence is unfair. I am not sure if Siebs will do well, this season gone was not a good sign but there are reasons for it and the season before does provide sound reason for hope.

He did after all turn a journeyman number 9 into the Australian hooker and one the top three in his position along with the English 9 and the GOAT. He had Reynolds playing consistent football and had Walker firing in the perfect role for him, which ideally is what he should be able to do with essentially the same player in Milford. He also had a gun number 1 who was certainly on the career slide. There are signs that given a full preseason and full reign of his side, he might just be able to do something with it. It is still too early to write him off as a hack, though he certainly could still be proven to be one as well.

Agree with the first two sentences mostly as potentially it is a great side but it is still a long way from that due to age and experience. The last sentence is unfair. I am not sure if Siebs will do well, this season gone was not a good sign but there are reasons for it and the season before does provide sound reason for hope.

He did after all turn a journeyman number 9 into the Australian hooker and one the top three in his position along with the English 9 and the GOAT. He had Reynolds playing consistent football and had Walker firing in the perfect role for him, which ideally is what he should be able to do with essentially the same player in Milford. He also had a gun number 1 who was certainly on the career slide. There are signs that given a full preseason and full reign of his side, he might just be able to do something with it. It is still too early to write him off as a hack, though he certainly could still be proven to be one as well.
I believe Inglis came back from an ACL injury in Seibs season at souths and was moved to left center. He may have played a few games at 1, but I believe Johnston was his primary fullback... albeit he was injured for awhile as well.

So in that sense he has potentially recreated a similar spine to what he had at souths:
- Isaako being a running fullback with potentially limited ball playing... I would say Johnston is far worse than Isaako though
- Milford being a ball running 6... who I would say is well above Walker when both at peak
- Croft a game managing halfback... I would class Arey well above Croft (especially in the kicking department), but there is potential with Croft and I'd say Croft's running game brings additional weapons that Reynolds doesn't have
- Turps bringing a bit of speed out of dummy half... cannot see Turps getting close to Cook, given he doesn't have the same speed, but he should be able to at least take advantage of quick play the balls

Couldn't care less what Seibs supposedly did with Souths, that is ancient history. I judge on what he has done with the club I support and what he has done so far is a sub .500 season whilst setting many club records in futility and a strong notion from many fans that he is in way over his head. I agree that he had poor preparation last year but there aren't any excuses this year. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have a great side to weave his so called magic around and another season like the last will most likely see the end of him. I'll be the first to congratulate him if he can bring success to this club but I just don't see it any way imaginable.

Couldn't care less what Seibs supposedly did with Souths, that is ancient history. I judge on what he has done with the club I support and what he has done so far is a sub .500 season whilst setting many club records in futility and a strong notion from many fans that he is in way over his head. I agree that he had poor preparation last year but there aren't any excuses this year. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have a great side to weave his so called magic around and another season like the last will most likely see the end of him. I'll be the first to congratulate him if he can bring success to this club but I just don't see it any way imaginable.
In a single off season he has given us a far more dangerous looking side than the one he inherited. I think there are obviously still question marks over a few positions but on the whole, it's on paper at least one of the better looking rosters going into 2020.

Last edited:
Haha... When did you do this poll?

The general consensus with this is that you are throwing your own thoughts out there and validating them by pretending everyone else thinks the same. A. K. A the Crawley method
Shit....I haven't seen you around in a while. Have you been incarcerated? I didn't conduct a poll but a general skim through social media will prove that I am not alone in my concerns. We will know by June or July where hopefully my concerns are unfounded. Are you granted internet access at Wacol?

Shit....I haven't seen you around in a while. Have you been incarcerated? I didn't conduct a poll but a general skim through social media will prove that I am not alone in my concerns. We will know by June or July where hopefully my concerns are unfounded. Are you granted internet access at Wacol?

Is this a necessary response? Pull your head in, this is totally uncalled for. He has a point and you know it. Many fans on here are basically you and one or two others. Many on here have expressed concern about the first season but from my experience on here, most are willing to hold judgement until he has at least had an uninterrupted preseason with the side and that is more than fair. To dismiss what he did with Souths because it doesn't suit your judgement reeks of nothing but bias and prejudice against the bloke, as does calling him Pies, which is a dumb nickname that should never have been started, it isn't even funny.

Wow, so you're a bit of a miserable **** aye...

Is this a necessary response? Pull your head in, this is totally uncalled for. He has a point and you know it. Many fans on here are basically you and one or two others. Many on here have expressed concern about the first season but from my experience on here, most are willing to hold judgement until he has at least had an uninterrupted preseason with the side and that is more than fair. To dismiss what he did with Souths because it doesn't suit your judgement reeks of nothing but bias and prejudice against the bloke, as does calling him Pies, which is a dumb nickname that should never have been started, it isn't even funny.
Exactly.

By the same notion, it shouldn't matter one bit what Bennett did before he arrived at Souths?

They certainly didn’t improve in 2019, ergo, it’s probably reasonable to conclude that 2019 was a failure.

Or perhaps clubs understand a new coach deserves more than just their first season before they’re thrown in the scrap heap.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see your life is so boring and mundane that you take note of my activity levels on this forum.

I got sick of the repetitiveness on this forum, the relentless bad decisions the nrl make regarding growth of the game, and the agendas in the nrl and its Sydney based media. But I love the broncos and I bloody love rugby league, so I'm back. I kept an eye on the forum and not much is changing, hoping its the off season.

Thank you for your concern for my well being, and again, I'm glad to see I play such a major role in your life. Youre alright...

13 seems a little harsh but who gives a shit. I don’t think Canberra would’ve been rated too high last season either but look how well they went.

We just have to trust the vision Seibold has and see how this season pans out.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • lynx000
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • Nerd
  • Broncorob
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.