OLYMPICS 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Your favourite moments list please

Good conversation starter actually, please put yours up too (and anyone else also).

Here are mine (in no particular order and probably quite lengthy):

- McDermott's silver in the High Jump, man that was one of the most enjoyable competitions I've ever watched and she was SO close to getting over that height
- Rohan Dennis getting bronze in the TT on a course that didn't suit him and after heartbreak with a broken bike in Rio, Primoz Roglic getting the gold was pretty much as good too after all the disappointment he's faced over the last two years with losing major tours on the last day and being such a great bloke
- Fox finally getting her gold medal and this goes for anyone else who finally got that elusive gold after two or three Olympics trying
- The epic men's 400m hurdles world record final, epic!
- The women's javelin final, I still have no idea how that girl who won threw it that far and then didn't get close
- One of my favourite because I was pumping him up the whole way - Moloney's bronze in the decathlon, absolutely brilliant performance, PBs in just about everything and only 21
- Titmus winning all her gold medals but then her coach's reaction
- The South African woman winning the 200m breatstroke in world record time, her reaction will stay with me
- The handlebar snap on the track
- The 4x rowing golds
- The men's hockey gold medal match, it was a classic, regardless of the result
- The first half of the Boomers semi against the US, it was exquisite bball
- On that, Thybulle was next level, something Aussie basketball has never had
- The Opals final group game, overall a disappointing tournament but that massive win was phenomenal with all the pressure on them and Puerto Rico did make it easy
- The standing ovation for Luis Scola
- Peter Bol's arrival, I don't care about the result, that was an excellent race and he has a huge future
- Browning's arrival in the heats, shame he stuffed the semi but a future there
- The men's high jump final reaction from the Italian at winning gold
- Carapaz coming from nowhere to win the men's road race
- The Austrian no name winning the women's road race and the heavily favoured Dutch women totally forgetting she was out the front and then celebrating when they finished second
- Chalmers going a fingertip away from going back to back in the 100m free
- Stubble on cheek holding his nerve to stay to his plan to run down the field and win the 200 breaststroke despite others going out way too hard
- The women's 4x200m free final - three teams under the world record? That was amazing!
- The men's 1500m result being 1 second in it, epic
- The open water swim by Lee with no one giving her a chance and her winding up with bronze
- The skateboarding, all of it, I was so surprised by how nice they ALL were and how cool a comp it was - hats off to the Aussie gold in an epic run
- The golf, I don't know, I liked it, it was a fun competition all round
- The surfing bronze to Wright after overcoming so many challenges
- The climbing was a great event all round, I really enjoyed it, so different to most other sports
- The beach volleyball QF win over Canada, that was a highlight on here with all of us involved, like the high jump last night
- The world record in the women's triple jump broken for the first time in decades
- The runner falling over and still coming back to win it
- The Kazakh archer who was just charisma personified
- Melissa Wu winning a bronze in probably her last Olympics
- The gold rush morning on the last day of swimming
- Emma McKeon cementing herself as an all time great with the Olympics of her life
- McKeown being so excited at winning and giving a truly Logan'esque bogan response
- Norway winning the men's triathlon, like kudos to that guy, imagine training in Norway's winters growing up!
- The mixed medley final in the swimming, that was bonkers and I absolutely loved it

My top three overall though:
3. The women's 4x100m medley relay, this is pretty much one of the best races I've ever seen
2. The Boomers getting bronze finally but honestly, they should have been in the gold medal match, sad twist of the tournament they had to meet them in the semis
1. I don't know why but Logan's Run was my number 1 highlight but especially that bike flip, I just wish he finished that run

And I know I mentioned it but that women's high jump final probably in all honesty transcended it all, it was so much fun.

It’s a sad day that the Olympics are over today.

It’s been a great couple of weeks full of highs and lows, watching the worlds best take on each other and witnessing some monumental upsets.

Also the Boomers finally getting a medal. Gold would have been better but in all honesty, coming into the tournament Bronze was what I was expecting. It was a dream of mine as a kid to be a part of the Boomers squad that won a medal. I was working towards a career in basketball and I was on the right track. Unfortunately a couple of bad injuries and very long recovery times ruined any chance of that happening.

It’s a sad day that the Olympics are over today.

It’s been a great couple of weeks full of highs and lows, watching the worlds best take on each other and witnessing some monumental upsets.

Also the Boomers finally getting a medal. Gold would have been better but in all honesty, coming into the tournament Bronze was what I was expecting. It was a dream of mine as a kid to be a part of the Boomers squad that won a medal. I was working towards a career in basketball and I was on the right track. Unfortunately a couple of bad injuries and very long recovery times ruined any chance of that happening.

I just read that Mills is going to Brooklyn, wow, he is a massive shot at an NBA championship there with their squad in the next two years.

Add another highlight - Andrew Gaze's response to the Boomers' bronze medal. So heartfelt.

I just read that Mills is going to Brooklyn, wow, he is a massive shot at an NBA championship there with their squad in the next two years.

Yeah a two year deal worth $12 million. I think he’s going to be retiring at the end of that two years and he wants another championship before he does. That wasn’t going to happen at the Spurs.

Yeah a two year deal worth $12 million. I think he’s going to be retiring at the end of that two years and he wants another championship before he does. That wasn’t going to happen at the Spurs.
Which makes me resent Ben Simmons a little bit more for not stepping up for the boomers and helping out mills which what could be his last olympics.

Good conversation starter actually, please put yours up too (and anyone else also).

Here are mine (in no particular order and probably quite lengthy):

- McDermott's silver in the High Jump, man that was one of the most enjoyable competitions I've ever watched and she was SO close to getting over that height
- Rohan Dennis getting bronze in the TT on a course that didn't suit him and after heartbreak with a broken bike in Rio, Primoz Roglic getting the gold was pretty much as good too after all the disappointment he's faced over the last two years with losing major tours on the last day and being such a great bloke
- Fox finally getting her gold medal and this goes for anyone else who finally got that elusive gold after two or three Olympics trying
- The epic men's 400m hurdles world record final, epic!
- The women's javelin final, I still have no idea how that girl who won threw it that far and then didn't get close
- One of my favourite because I was pumping him up the whole way - Moloney's bronze in the decathlon, absolutely brilliant performance, PBs in just about everything and only 21
- Titmus winning all her gold medals but then her coach's reaction
- The South African woman winning the 200m breatstroke in world record time, her reaction will stay with me
- The handlebar snap on the track
- The 4x rowing golds
- The men's hockey gold medal match, it was a classic, regardless of the result
- The first half of the Boomers semi against the US, it was exquisite bball
- On that, Thybulle was next level, something Aussie basketball has never had
- The Opals final group game, overall a disappointing tournament but that massive win was phenomenal with all the pressure on them and Puerto Rico did make it easy
- The standing ovation for Luis Scola
- Peter Bol's arrival, I don't care about the result, that was an excellent race and he has a huge future
- Browning's arrival in the heats, shame he stuffed the semi but a future there
- The men's high jump final reaction from the Italian at winning gold
- Carapaz coming from nowhere to win the men's road race
- The Austrian no name winning the women's road race and the heavily favoured Dutch women totally forgetting she was out the front and then celebrating when they finished second
- Chalmers going a fingertip away from going back to back in the 100m free
- Stubble on cheek holding his nerve to stay to his plan to run down the field and win the 200 breaststroke despite others going out way too hard
- The women's 4x200m free final - three teams under the world record? That was amazing!
- The men's 1500m result being 1 second in it, epic
- The open water swim by Lee with no one giving her a chance and her winding up with bronze
- The skateboarding, all of it, I was so surprised by how nice they ALL were and how cool a comp it was - hats off to the Aussie gold in an epic run
- The golf, I don't know, I liked it, it was a fun competition all round
- The surfing bronze to Wright after overcoming so many challenges
- The climbing was a great event all round, I really enjoyed it, so different to most other sports
- The beach volleyball QF win over Canada, that was a highlight on here with all of us involved, like the high jump last night
- The world record in the women's triple jump broken for the first time in decades
- The runner falling over and still coming back to win it
- The Kazakh archer who was just charisma personified
- Melissa Wu winning a bronze in probably her last Olympics
- The gold rush morning on the last day of swimming
- Emma McKeon cementing herself as an all time great with the Olympics of her life
- McKeown being so excited at winning and giving a truly Logan'esque bogan response
- Norway winning the men's triathlon, like kudos to that guy, imagine training in Norway's winters growing up!
- The mixed medley final in the swimming, that was bonkers and I absolutely loved it

My top three overall though:
3. The women's 4x100m medley relay, this is pretty much one of the best races I've ever seen
2. The Boomers getting bronze finally but honestly, they should have been in the gold medal match, sad twist of the tournament they had to meet them in the semis
1. I don't know why but Logan's Run was my number 1 highlight but especially that bike flip, I just wish he finished that run

And I know I mentioned it but that women's high jump final probably in all honesty transcended it all, it was so much fun.
McDermott was so close to a gold, her whole performance was mesmerising. Absolutely loved her pre jump routine and the way she glided in before the jump. Imagine if a goal kicker from the nrl did the same thing before a kick 🤣

McDermott was so close to a gold, her whole performance was mesmerising. Absolutely loved her pre jump routine and the way she glided in before the jump. Imagine if a goal kicker from the nrl did the same thing before a kick 🤣

The pre-jump smile and post-jump diary, iconic.

What about your list my man?

Also, didn't Krisnan Inu do the pre-kick smile?

Maybe he thought he’d be more hinder than help, if his confidence truly is shot.
Well hopefully he sorts it out and becomes better. I feel like he really missed out on being part of something special. Even if he travelled with the team and didn’t play, I’m sure the boomers would have welcomed him.

Landale is also off to the Spurs and I suspect he is going to make a fist of it, definitely good enough. Josh Giddey is off to someone, he got taken at pick 6. The future is bright for the Boomers. There are a few more kids on the way through who will likely go highish in future drafts.

I don't see Simmons ever playing for Australia tbh, and while I think he would definitely help us, it's good that we've proven we can win without him - we aren't beholden to the "will he, won't he" that maybe in years gone by we might've been (depth and lack of quality players).

Matisse the pimp is now the flavour of this town.

The pre-jump smile and post-jump diary, iconic.

What about your list my man?

Also, didn't Krisnan Inu do the pre-kick smile?
I didn’t get to watch as many events as you did but my favourites were -
- the Spanish long distance runner choosing to come second helping the Kenyan runner
- the beach volleyball girls with their run to the gold medal match
- men’s and womens high jump

and of course Patty mills!

I don't see Simmons ever playing for Australia tbh, and while I think he would definitely help us, it's good that we've proven we can win without him - we aren't beholden to the "will he, won't he" that maybe in years gone by we might've been (depth and lack of quality players).

How good is he! Josh Green is very similar too. I think though that losing Baynes has really highlighted that the middle big man is a bit of the achillies heel moving forward. Landale is a really good PF but Kay isn't good enough at centre. There are two good young forwards coming through but I'd be going with Reath in the interim, he looked really good in his limited game time. I wonder if Maker will ever make it anywhere.

How good is he! Josh Green is very similar too. I think though that losing Baynes has really highlighted that the middle big man is a bit of the achillies heel moving forward. Landale is a really good PF but Kay isn't good enough at centre. There are two good young forwards coming through but I'd be going with Reath in the interim, he looked really good in his limited game time. I wonder if Maker will ever make it anywhere.
We do need an upgrade on Kay but I'm not sure of who is coming through that can potentially be an option in 2024. Kay, sadly, looked like an NBL player when crunch time happened.

If we had Simmons and baynes we trouble the yanks this year IMO.

Ben’s becoming increasingly difficult to like though. If he just didn’t want to play that’s fine, say it two years ago to avoid drama.

love tisse tho… did you see him try and throw the boomerang lol

Since the excitement of 2000 wore off, I have found the Olympics really meh. Until this year. It’s a 3 fold reason: 1.) locked down, nothing else to do, educating the kids on all the sports etc. 2.) it was in our time zone, easy to watch. 3.) Brisbane 2032 is happening, hubby and I will be semi retired and have cash to burn (all going to plan) front row tickets to the athletics thanks, if I juice my kids up now maybe they’ll be there.

the hilight for me Other than all the success (not looking at you, cycling) was watching the families celebrate at home. You don’t usually get that vision because they’re in the stands, but seeing all the emotion in their lounge rooms really hit me for some reason.

Matisse just gets it. So happy he's a boomer.

Matisse just gets it. So happy he's a boomer.

Great comments from the coach too. I feel like he might be selling his own contribution a bit short, he is an excellent coach. Great experience all round.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • TimWhatley
  • Galah
  • Scorchie
  • MrRobot
  • Midean
  • Battler
  • davidp
  • Skyblues87
  • mitch222
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • whykickamoocow
  • Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Manofoneway
  • theshed
  • kiwi2
  • Sproj
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.