2021 Trial #2 - Broncos vs Cowboys [LIVE STREAM]

Last year it was our inability to slow down the ruck and prevent teams rolling us through the middle that made it almost impossible for us to win footy games. That's what happened again in the second half last night. We must find a way to slow that momentum down. For starters, if we are going to give away a 6 again, make it count. On the next tackle, hold the bloke down excessively to draw a penalty or start a bit of push and shove, strip the ball subtley (could even go our way). Alternatively, we need do what Cam Smith does and get a leg or arm caught in the ruck and make it look like an unfortunate tangle. Whatever it is, we need to give our defensive line a chance to use line speed. It is impossible while back-pedalling due to fast play the balls. We are better off allowing teams to march down the field with two strip penalties and defend them on our line than trying to scramble in defence while back peddling.

In 2006 we got destroyed by Melbourne in a trial and then we beat them in the grand final.

We will win the comp. [emoji41]

We also got flogged round 1 against the rabbits. But we also had names like Lockyer, Hodges, hunt, Berrigan, Tate, webcke, civoniceva, thorn, carrol.....

I don't understand where this Milford mentality is coming from.

He has shown nothing since 2015 that indicates he can do anything for this club at all.
Him coming back into the side wont make a single ounce of difference as is evident by last season, unless miraculously he has found his mojo while sitting out injured.
He was missing more often than not last season, and putting him in alongside Dearden wont change a whole lot as far as im concerned.
We desperately need someone to guide the team around the park, Glenn for sure isn't that guy, neither is Milford, and in saying that, i have no answers as to who fills that roll short of C. Smith playing for the Broncos this year.

Glass half empty and a grim 2021 ahead.
Kevvie has his work cut out for him, and i don't think he can do it.
Desperately hope i am wrong.
I’m not saying Milford is anything special. I would trade him for a number of other halves in a second. But he is currently the best half we have, and he was missed last night.

You are right that it’s rare for him to step up, but he still is capable of big plays. Frustratingly it’s usually through his troublesome bombs these days instead of a good pass or well timed run.

When we tuned a 12 point lead into a 10 point deficit in the second half, and there was 15 minutes left I ran through our team list mentality and tried to think of a single name who was capable of mounting any kid of comeback. Their is no one last night who was capable of doing anything to put us back in the game. Perhaps TPJ on a good night but by the 60 minute mark you already know which TPJ has showed up and it wasn’t that one. Croft and Dearden definitely weren’t going to do it. Staggs could’ve done something, Turpin maybe. And as unlikely as it may have been, and despite how incredibly over paid he is, Milford and those I just mentioned are the only guys in the team entire roster that has the ability to pull something out of nothing.

As soon as we were behind I knew we wouldn’t win because not a single player on the field was capable of doing anything against the run of momentum.

What I took out of last night:
We looked good in the first 40 however we still do not have that mental resilience as soon as something doesn't go our way.
Isaako, Kennar and Mead were no good, and really should not be options for rd1 in under 2 weeks.
TPJ, Lodge and Flegs were disappointing, especially when you consider the $ we have wrapped up in those 3.
We missed Haas.
I thought Dearden was good in the first half, then turned into just ok in the second half. I like Tommy and I think we all have to remember that he is 19, he isn't going to walk into this side and fix it straight away. I have confidence that he is our future and he certainly deserves his opportunity.
Croft was ok, and was no better, or worse than what Milford offers. I would be more then happy if the club let the million dollar man in Milford walk at the end of the year, and were able to extend Croft on a 200-300k deal.
Turpin was MoM for mine, he was excellent. Offered a lot, and if he works a little more on his kicking game, he should be just fine in the 9 jersey.
Coates looked good and Tesi was certainly better then last week.
Asiata was also very good and for mine already deserves his spot in the 17.
We missed Herbie, and hopefully he will be there in rd1.
Glenn was very, very ordinary, especially when you add that this was his game.
I expected him to really dig in, however I think the game may have passed him, unfortunately. I still do not know what he offers in being captain.
I would love to see Walsh in this side, but I also understand that we don't want him cooked before he is ready for first grade. He offers a lot more than what Isaako does from what I have seen.

I see our biggest problem being the 1. Isaako just does not seem to be a smart player. I think wing is his best spot but I wouldn't be too disappointed if another club picked him up.
I wonder if Herbie would be a viable option at 1 until Walsh is ready. I think Tesi would even be an upgrade over Isaako.

Unfortunately, I think 2021 will again be another disappointing year however, it should be an improvement on 2020. I cannot see us finishing the year in a position higher then 10th.

It is an absolute must that we go to market this year, for some big names with true leadership qualities.

Nui’s dash to the line, Paix’s lifting and dumping of JT13 and Turpin’s willingness to run from dummy half were my highlights of last night. The rest was a steaming pile of shit that is best forgotten. Kevvie needs to drill them ALL on line speed and ball retention. Lodge seems to think he has ’made it’ in the NRL and is entitled to mess around at the ptb. Well someone needs to tell him to wake up to himself and start just playing hard honest grafting footy. Otherwise he’s a penalty waiting to happen.

Much work to do and it look likes a very long season ahead.

Last edited:
I think That I would start Reece Walsh training at dummy half , as we seem too have nothing other than Jake Turpin

I think we have to put Oates at left centre because that left hand side is tragic. Amazing we didn't try to sign Opacic.
So instead of having Oates come in and leaving the winger unmarked, you’re in favour of having both the opposition right Centre and winger being unmarked? That’s big brain play!😂🤣

well that was grim. especially because I spent the entire first half in the drinks line. no way Redcliffe is getting an NRL team with that setup. at least suburban grounds always give you bang for buck food/drink wise.

our left side is pus. a few times we had 3 on 2's and we butchered it completely. isaako MIA at fullback in D. also wtf was with glenn chilling at halfway after the cows scored and the rest of the team in a huddle behind the posts. captain?

Last edited:
Good news Parra looked just as shit as we do, and we have scored more points.

Well let's hope we don't play them into form like last year.

I think we all need to temper expectations a bit. Seibold and White destroyed this team and is going to take more than an offseason and 2 trial games to fix.

That is true. Very true. Individual performances do need time to fine tune as it were, and combinations need time to develop, but, it's the same story for us year after year. It just doesn't happen although for me, things looked a bit promising with Dearden and Milford over the last 2 seasons the little they played together.

Since we have a new coach and there is a lot to be undone from the last 2 seasons, it will take time (yet again) but for me, the biggest negatives that came up last night were our lack of resilience, that falling apart under pressure, that losing mindset which seems almost endemic to this team, and the simple lack of an organising principle in the middle - a true leader who knows how to read a game and organises the team accordingly. Like he who shall not be named.

The last time we came close to that was when we had Locky and Hodges. Sadly for me, I can't see that sort of leadership, that fixed point as I call it, in our squad, and until we do, the best we can hope for, or expect is improvement in bits and pieces which is necessary, but not sufficient to go deep into the comp as winners.

I feel we really needed a win last night to start undoing the loser mindset. Either way, we can see just how big a task Walters faces. Still, can't wait for the season to kick off. Go team.

The problem same as last year is unforced errors handing possession back to the opposition. Until Kevvie can promote some sort of ball security our defence will struggle.

Unread

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Midean
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.