2021 Trial #2 - Broncos vs Cowboys [LIVE STREAM]

Jesse Arthars came off with an injured ankle.

Flegler is going in for scans on Monday for his shoulder. Fingers crossed he doesn't require another reconstruction.

When you have a squad depth this shallow and these injuries are already starting to mount up, it does not bode well for the year ahead.

Currently so far this season we have had injuries to:

Milford
Oates
Staggs
Farnworth
Flegler
Arthars
Copley

This is a worry given the season is two weeks old.

Around the grounds.

Norths went down 28-32 against Redcliffe in a game that featured Reece Walsh, Ethan Bullemor and Rhs Kennedy. Walsh set up two tries via kicks for the Devils in a trial game that went 100 minutes.

Wynnum Manly went down 28-36. The team featured affiliates Issac Luke, Keenan Palasia, Selwyn Cobbo and TC Robati.

I haven't received any score updates on the Magpies/Jet trial. Isaiah Tass, Kobe Hetherington and Josh James were the Brisbane Broncos affiliates involved.

I'm a little bit torn as to what to think after that. The first half when we had what I'm guessing was our "best 13" on the field i thought we looked pretty good. Our defence seemed resilient, attack reasonably sharp and we had energy and played smart footy as was evident with our early deep kicks and good kick chases. Whether or not these things were made to look good because the cows were just slow to start and had a poor 40 minutes or we actaully were good i don't know.

The second 40 was like watching a whole new game and we just couldn't get into it, couldn't hold the ball, just couldn't. Much like the first half, i dont know if we were just bad OR the cows found their feet OR the switch of players and position's just didn't work. I kind of hope the second half was always going to be used as an experiment with guys moving around and after this those experiments can be ticked off as tried and failed.

I thought it all really turned to shit when turpin went off, we just seemed to really lose our way.

The problem with trials is they're probably a pretty good indicator of individuals in good form but not so much of a teams form.

Regardless of if this was a trial or not and regardless of individual performances, I'm supremely confident we leave that trial in a worse place then we entered it. Why? Because all the talk about drawing a line in the sand, changing our culture and playing with heart. Any healing that has been done over the off season following last seasons mess has all just been 100% undone through letting in 5 unanswered second half tries. I guarantee every single one of those players goes to bed tonight saying "here we go again".

Regardless of what you read into tonight's performance and if you're on the "it's only a trial" side or the "trial or not we're fucked" side, from a mental perspective tonight could not have gone any worse.

Around the grounds.

Norths went down 28-32 against Redcliffe in a game that featured Reece Walsh, Ethan Bullemor and Rhs Kennedy. Walsh set up two tries via kicks for the Devils in a trial game that went 100 minutes.

Wynnum Manly went down 28-36. The team featured affiliates Issac Luke, Keenan Palasia, Selwyn Cobbo and TC Robati.

I haven't received any score updates on the Magpies/Jet trial. Isaiah Tass, Kobe Hetherington and Josh James were the Brisbane Broncos affiliates involved.

why did it go for 100 mins ... surely there is no golden point in a trial

why did it go for 100 mins ... surely there is no golden point in a trial
Your guess would be as good as mine, I presume it was to give as many players a run as possible.

I'm a little bit torn as to what to think after that. The first half when we had what I'm guessing was our "best 13" on the field i thought we looked pretty good. Our defence seemed resilient, attack reasonably sharp and we had energy and played smart footy as was evident with our early deep kicks and good kick chases. Whether or not these things were made to look good because the cows were just slow to start and had a poor 40 minutes or we actaully were good i don't know.

The second 40 was like watching a whole new game and we just couldn't get into it, couldn't hold the ball, just couldn't. Much like the first half, i dont know if we were just bad OR the cows found their feet OR the switch of players and position's just didn't work. I kind of hope the second half was always going to be used as an experiment with guys moving around and after this those experiments can be ticked off as tried and failed.

I thought it all really turned to shit when turpin went off, we just seemed to really lose our way.

The problem with trials is they're probably a pretty good indicator of individuals in good form but not so much of a teams form.

Regardless of if this was a trial or not and regardless of individual performances, I'm supremely confident we leave that trial in a worse place then we entered it. Why? Because all the talk about drawing a line in the sand, changing our culture and playing with heart. Any healing that has been done over the off season following last seasons mess has all just been 100% undone through letting in 5 unanswered second half tries. I guarantee every single one of those players goes to bed tonight saying "here we go again".

Regardless of what you read into tonight's performance and if you're on the "it's only a trial" side or the "trial or not we're fucked" side, from a mental perspective tonight could not have gone any worse.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I’ve been thinking too. This side has a losing culture now and every team knows that even if the Broncs are up by heaps at half time, you can run them down. The players will fear this too and as soon as the inevitable rubbish call or error happens, it will all begin again.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I’ve been thinking too. This side has a losing culture now and every team knows that even if the Broncs are up by heaps at half time, you can run them down. The players will fear this too and as soon as the inevitable rubbish call or error happens, it will all begin again.
Yep 100%. We NEEDED a win tonight for nothing more then our mental state. Throw in last weeks last minute draw as well which despite been a second string team, was still a broncos team.

You now have the whole competition going into games against us brimming with confidence knowing we still have the ability to capitulate. This game is just as much mental as physical. I'll probaby be crucified for saying this but the fastest way out of this mess is Cameron Smith.

Yep 100%. We NEEDED a win tonight for nothing more then our mental state. Throw in last weeks last minute draw as well which despite been a second string team, was still a broncos team.

You now have the whole competition going into games against us brimming with confidence knowing we still have the ability to capitulate. This game is just as much mental as physical. I'll probaby be crucified for saying this but the fastest way out of this mess is Cameron Smith.

I agree, however I prefer to say a hooker as good as Cameron Smith. I can only imagine the difference it would make to have a real leader and organiser in the middle, pulling the strings and making the calls, and playing like it as well.

We are so far away from that fixed point around which to organise and reach cohesion in attack AND defence.

Sigh

First thoughts are that we missed Milf and Haas.

Isaako had some great moments early on but was terrible under the high ball from the get go and his positioning was not up to scratch. Unfortunately, I think he isn’t even up to being a stop gap and I’m not sure what the answer is. He has a lot of learning to do over the next couple weeks. He showed a few times that he has all the physical attributes to be a quality fullback but none of the nuance. I won’t write him off yet as it’s his first game there in a year but one or two more those performances and Kev has some decisions to make.

Asiata was great. Showed heaps of heart and was one of the only players doing all the 1%ers.

TPJ was good but quiet. Carrigan isn’t a starting prop and needs strong players around him to make his work horse style worth the lack of impact. Will be a good bench option but isnt

I don’t know Lodges’ stats but regardless he looked terrible. He’d be the first forward I dropped. He is so slow and lumbering but doesn’t make up for it by being powerful and bending the line like some of the games other big bodies. He’s a benchy and one who shouldn’t get more than a few minutes. He should maybe get another x ray after this because the broken leg doesn’t seem to be as much of an excuse as some of us suspected.

Dearden had some good moments and played well enough but he is not a lead playmaker at this point and as much as
may wish him to be, it is not realistic. Weird to say but I think he needed Milford tonight.

Turpin was good and we fell apart without him. Ironically, the best chance we have of having a decent season is to sign Smith which would force out the guy who currently has the biggest positive impact on the team.

I won’t think too much of the second half as there was a lot of giving runs to players who would never see a game unless an injury crisis hit. I get this is the point of a trial but I actually think it’s bad coaching from Kev. After last season the team needed to walk off of the field with some confidence leading into the season to shake off last years jitters, swapping the players around so much resulted in 5 unanswered tries. A lot of boys would be feeling PTSD after that. The win tonight mentally was more important than giving everyone a run.

Last edited:
First thoughts are that we missed Milf and Haas.

Isaako had some great moments early on but was terrible under the high ball from the get go and his positioning was not up to scratch. Unfortunately, I think he isn’t even up to being a stop gap and I’m not sure what the answer is. He has a lot of learning to do over the next couple weeks. He showed a few times that he has all the physical attributes to be a quality fullback but none of the nuance. I won’t write him off yet as it’s his first game there in a year but one or two more those performances and Kev has some decisions to make.

Asiata was great. Showed heaps of heart and was one of the only players doing all the 1%ers.

TPJ was good but quiet. Carrigan isn’t a starting prop and needs strong players around him to make his work horse style worth the lack of impact. Will be a good bench option but isnt

I don’t know Lodges’ stats but regardless he looked terrible. He’d be the first forward I dropped. He is so slow and lumbering but doesn’t make up for it by being powerful and bending the line like some of the games other big bodies. He’s a benchy and one who shouldn’t get more than a few minutes. He should maybe get another x ray after this because the broken leg doesn’t seem to be as much of an excuse as some of us suspected.

Dearden had some good moments and played well enough but he is not a lead playmaker at this point and as much as
may wish him to be, it is not realistic. Weird to say but I think he needed Milford tonight.

Turpin was good and we fell apart without him. Ironically, the best chance we have of having a decent season is to sign Smith which would force out the guy who currently has the biggest positive impact on the team.

I won’t think too much of the second half as there was a lot of giving runs to players who would never see a game unless an injury crisis hit. I get this is the point of a trial but I actually think it’s bad coaching from Kev. After last season the team needed to walk off of the field with some confidence leading into the season to shake off last years jitters, swapping the players around so much resulted in 5 unanswered tries. A lot of boys would be feeling PTSD after that. The win tonight mentally was more important than giving everyone a run.

Well put. Your points about Milford, or rather a combination between him and Dearden which will bring out the best in both is critical to us going forward. For mine, those two were building towards something really good.

As well, your point about Turpin and Smith is so right. Without that fixed point in the middle around which the team can organise and be organised we are toast this year.

Last edited:
I don't understand where this Milford mentality is coming from.

He has shown nothing since 2015 that indicates he can do anything for this club at all.
Him coming back into the side wont make a single ounce of difference as is evident by last season, unless miraculously he has found his mojo while sitting out injured.
He was missing more often than not last season, and putting him in alongside Dearden wont change a whole lot as far as im concerned.
We desperately need someone to guide the team around the park, Glenn for sure isn't that guy, neither is Milford, and in saying that, i have no answers as to who fills that roll short of C. Smith playing for the Broncos this year.

Glass half empty and a grim 2021 ahead.
Kevvie has his work cut out for him, and i don't think he can do it.
Desperately hope i am wrong.

I don't understand where this Milford mentality is coming from.

He has shown nothing since 2015 that indicates he can do anything for this club at all.
Him coming back into the side wont make a single ounce of difference as is evident by last season, unless miraculously he has found his mojo while sitting out injured.
He was missing more often than not last season, and putting him in alongside Dearden wont change a whole lot as far as im concerned.
We desperately need someone to guide the team around the park, Glenn for sure isn't that guy, neither is Milford, and in saying that, i have no answers as to who fills that roll short of C. Smith playing for the Broncos this year.

Glass half empty and a grim 2021 ahead.
Kevvie has his work cut out for him, and i don't think he can do it.
Desperately hope i am wrong.

My Milford mentality is that he is an option, and it's important he gets a go to show whether or not he has what it takes to make a difference, with Dearden and by himself. There is some good history there for me that's worth waiting for.

If that fizzles, that sort of proves a point once and for all, one of which being about costly mistakes.

My Milford mentality is that he is an option, and it's important he gets a go to show whether or not he has what it takes to make a difference, with Dearden and by himself. There is some good history there for me that's worth waiting for.

If that fizzles, that sort of proves a point once and for all, one of which being about costly mistakes.
I appreciate your optimism.
In regards to Milford getting "a go", hasn't he had a go the past 4 years? Of which one of those years we got the spoon on the back of some of the worst football he has ever produced?
You mentioned him and Dearden building towards something really good, did we even watch the same club last year? Because i don't recall a single game where Milf and Dearden looked to be building towards anything.

I have said this numerous times here, but Milford, for some unknown reason, keeps getting a pass for his poor form, his poor shape and his lack of ability to do anything worth his contract value.
You say if Milford fizzles that it proves once and for all that he was a costly mistake, and for mine, his last chance was the wooden spoon we got last season on the back of some of the worst football he has produced at this club.

I feel sorry for Walters because Milford is what he has to work with, and he has to get behind him, at least until his contract is up.

I appreciate your optimism.
In regards to Milford getting "a go", hasn't he had a go the past 4 years? Of which one of those years we got the spoon on the back of some of the worst football he has ever produced?
You mentioned him and Dearden building towards something really good, did we even watch the same club last year? Because i don't recall a single game where Milf and Dearden looked to be building towards anything.

I have said this numerous times here, but Milford, for some unknown reason, keeps getting a pass for his poor form, his poor shape and his lack of ability to do anything worth his contract value.
You say if Milford fizzles that it proves once and for all that he was a costly mistake, and for mine, his last chance was the wooden spoon we got last season on the back of some of the worst football he has produced at this club.

I feel sorry for Walters because Milford is what he has to work with, and he has to get behind him, at least until his contract is up.

I get your pessimism about Milf.

Well, he is on contract so he gets to play no matter what, and I'd rather have good thoughts about that than bad.

As well, I really enjoy Milford at his best and I would dearly like to see it again.

Walters comments:

“We had to draw a line in the sand to find out where we are, so we found out where we are,” Walters said.

“I got something out of it ... we had to start somewhere.

“I want to see some resilience to get through our sets and hold the ball.

“It was a terrific first 40 minutes and not so good in the second 40.

“There’s plenty to work on, but I’m walking away confident the Broncos will have a good season.”

Walters comments:

“There’s plenty to work on, but I’m walking away confident the Broncos will have a good season.”

Not on that performance. During that second half, I had numerous flashbacks to 2020, and that sucked.

The first half was okay in an untidy sort of way but when under the pump, where it really matters, we just fell apart.

Again

Last edited:

Active Now

• Organix
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.