2021 Trial #2 - Broncos vs Cowboys [LIVE STREAM]

In regards to that last bit I think their is about 13 players in our side that are their and good enough for us to win a comp and be successful the difference between us and every other struggling team is that we are underplaying and don’t have the 4 players who clutch up and put in outstanding performances week in week out every other struggling team is straight shit... we are almost their we just need to splash the cash
Who? I'm not seeing any champions on this roster. There are players who are capable of playing first-grade football, and there's a couple who are capable of amazing plays, but I'm not seeing any championship qualities among them. In fairness some of them are so young it's too early to make a call either way, but there's some who have no business playing NRL right now.

I can't see anything to suggest they belong in the premiership conversation. I'm barely seeing anything to suggest they can avoid a wooden spoon.

Those two shitty grubber tries decided the outcome more than bad ref calls imo.

I agree, and I did state that, but I’m also fed up with horrific refereeing that has plagued the comp for the last 3-4 years and this growing attitude of not blaming the refs when they do play their part more often than not

It didn’t seem that long ago when the media was frothing at how incredible our forward pack was shaping up..

So why is there such a mismatch between what's on paper on what trash is put out on grass? This is important to address and answer for the coaching staff.

I agree, and I did state that, but I’m also fed up with horrific refereeing that has plagued the comp for the last 3-4 years and this growing attitude of not blaming the refs when they do play their part more often than not

Shit refs, shit admin. Probably not a coincidence.

Yeah I've heard that a bunch of times but when's the last time we actually rolled a team through the middle?
We have had about 30 sets in the last 12 months we defend set after set not very successfully on our own line and you expect a game where we roll a team down the middle... we haven’t had the ball at all for the past season and your saying that the reason our forward pack is bang average when we have **** all possession is they haven’t steam rolled a team... bravo

Probably good to get our losses out of the way early before the season begins. Would hate to have wasted one of our half a dozen wins in a trial match.

Not a lot to like about that second half as well as the mentality of the side to be able to halt and swing momentum, but hopefully we should be at least be better when the likes of Milford, Haas, Staggs and Cameron Smith come into the side....

I could be wrong but I think alot of our forwards got very lucky they signed their current deals before the 6 again rule changes completely changed the game. Luck and poor roster management sprinkled in of course. They simply aren't worth what is being paid in relation to how the game is currently played.

Seriously you hurt my fucking head dude , it's the first trial for most. Get a fucking grip !
Got the grip bud - it’s called reality. Suggest you do the same. Used to the old days when we ran out to “ Show no Mercy” and we didn’t.
From what I saw tonite we have a long way to go to hold a candle to those guys - coach and all. Have a good night @pagey I'm as frustrated as you are.

Well, I’m going to go against the flow here and remind everyone how well we started, and then we switched out a bunch of players. That’s a positive.

I’ll also pose a question: would we have won with Cam Smith at 9 in the second half? I think the answer is yes. Turpin was our best on field. We went to shit when he went off. And Smith is as good, maybe even better, at marshalling troops.

Last edited:
So why is there such a mismatch between what's on paper on what trash is put out on grass? This is important to address and answer for the coaching staff.
The thing with these sort of games is not the result themselves but what you learn and how you bounce back from them.
There were a lot of positives in that first half and whilst our deficiencies were there for all the world to see in the second half, its better to see them now and hopefully learn.
I don't think for instance Kennar plays centre, and I suspect Oates starts the season in qld cup, with Ricki starting. Before the pre-season you would have had them reversed.
Teo is a worry for me. He's an experienced player. The thing is he defends like a front rower but doesn't make the yardage of one. I've been saying we are short a second rower and tonight I'm more certain than ever. I'd be making some enquiries pronto.

Where to from here?
Fix up our edge defence and compact our middle. Let them throw those wide balls this early. Get our line speed more consistent. Great in the first half. Terrible in the second.

Well, I’m going to go against the flow here and remind everyone how well we started, and then we switched out a bunch of players. That’s a positive.

I’ll also pose a question: would we have won with Cam Smith at 9 in the second half? I think the answer is yes. Turpin was our best on field. We went to shit when he went off. And Smith is better.
So you’re agreeing we have coaching issues. Or are you playing the - it’s only a trial card. Love your positivity but in reality we sucked. Long, long road ahead in 21, make no mistake.

I think it is the simple things that we do wrong which then culminate into larger issues.

In the first 15 mins our defensive line speed was average (not great but it was there) but then it just died. Our team did not move up at all and just let the cowboys come to them. As they carried all the momentum into the collision, they would inevitably find their front, get the quick play the ball and march up the field. Couple that with us being unable to control the ruck meaning our markers are never in position to defend or pressure the kicker. Then we just fell out of the game.

I have been one to think isaako got a bad wrap on these forums, but **** me, he was terrible. I think the issue is not his ability, he is just dumb. He constantly jumps at high balls, even when not needed which makes it hard for himself, does not read the oppositions shapes to ensure he is in position and panics when deciding to pass or run and confuses his team mates.

If there was one positive, coates looks like he is running harder for his hit ups now.

We have had about 30 sets in the last 12 months we defend set after set not very successfully on our own line and you expect a game where we roll a team down the middle... we haven’t had the ball at all for the past season and your saying that the reason our forward pack is bang average when we have **** all possession is they haven’t steam rolled a team... bravo
They shouldn't be on our line all the time, we should be able to make metres so the other players can actually do something with the field position. Personally I'd trade Lodge, Flegler and Pangai for 3 average but consistent front rowers any day of the week.

Jesse Arthars came off with an injured ankle.

Flegler is going in for scans on Monday for his shoulder. Fingers crossed he doesn't require another reconstruction.

I have been one to think isaako got a bad wrap on these forums, but **** me, he was terrible. I think the issue is not his ability, he is just dumb. He constantly jumps at high balls, even when not needed which makes it hard for himself, does not read the oppositions shapes to ensure he is in position and panics when deciding to pass or run and confuses his team mates
This is spot on, which basically means that there isn’t really anything he does well at fullback. He hasn’t gotten a handle on any aspect of fullback play. Bombs, positioning, passing game, support play, all arguably the worst in league or close to it.

Seriously how do the Broncos end up with a fullback who isn’t a fullback? And some 18yo backups?

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • FACTHUNT
  • teampjta
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Lostboy
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • Brotherdu
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • Shane Tronc
  • BroncosAlways
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.