FOOTBALL 2022 FIFA World Cup

Yes, because he's done it week to week/year to year. Just because Gonzalo Higuain can't finish and others have had a 4 week form burst at the right time shouldn't hurt Messi's claim to being the best ever.
Better than Pelé or Maradona? Not in a million years.

**** Qatar and FIFA. Any achievement at this world cup by any team will be a blight on the history books.

A list of the reasons Qatar should never be given a stage like this.
I dunno, lots of countries have similar laws. The world isn't just the west (who really have only recently made significant progress on equality).

If these sporting events are "global" then they should represent the values of many different countries.

TBf, there are plenty of players who do what Messi does. It all depends on what peoples criteria is for being the GOAT. Is it skill? Is it how good the player is in his position? You could argue that somebody like Peter Schmiechel for example is every bit as good as Maradona, Zidane, Brazilian Ronaldo, Messi, Other Ronaldo etc were in their positions yet he would never come into the equation of being the goat.
Not at the level he does it, nor with the consistency and longevity that he's done it for. That's what makes him the GOAT.

Better than Pelé or Maradona? Not in a million years.
Why not?

Zero hope with this team, I feel Australian soccer has gone backwards with A league being around, compare it to 2006 where most of our team was playing in the premier league, now most of them are in A league or another Asian league it's been a big downfall, don't know if it's because A league is professional it's stopped players trying to go to Europe or what not but our quality has dropped massively.

I think we'll hold our own in the midfield and defensively but ultimately what will stop us causing any great upsets is our lack of quality in and around the penalty box

I think we'll hold our own in the midfield and defensively but ultimately what will stop us causing any great upsets is our lack of quality in and around the penalty box
If they play McLaren they at least will have a genuine goal scorer and may poach a goal or two.. they are such underdogs every game, they may jag one upset but finishing top 2 would be a less than 10% chance I estimate.

Not at the level he does it, nor with the consistency and longevity that he's done it for. That's what makes him the GOAT.

Why not?

I'd have to disagree. Apart from Brazilian Ronaldo, every other player i named has performed to the level Messi has for quite a long period of time and not always for dominant sides like PSG or Barca. Maradona for example dragged a fairly ordinary Argentina side to a world cup. He also turned Napoli from a low to mid table side into Italian champions. I personally dont think Messi is anywhere near the player Maradona was. Messi needs a world cup win to elevate himself to that level as he has only ever managed to achieve at clubs who were already top clubs with top players even without him. He's never inspired and dragged a lesser side to any sort of title.

I think the GOAT debate it flawed anyway tbh because its never judged on what a player does in his specific position. Schmiechel, who i mentioned earlier, was easily as good in his position as Messi is in his position, but being a keeper he wont ever get the plaudits. Paulo Maldini is another one. Performed at the highest level until he was in his 40's. Again though, he's a defender so wont get the praise compared to a Ronaldo or a Messi but his skillset in his position is every bit as good as Messi in his.

this World Cup has been a joke since it was initially awarded to Qatar.

in addition to the match fixing allegations, the current FIFA President, Gianni Infantino, as hit back at the criticism of the fake fan allegations, labelling them as "pure racism" and accused Western critics of "hypocisy" regarding the criticism of Qatar's human rights record

Did anyone see the highlights of his interview today? It was so fucking funny. Pure comedy gold.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.