FOOTBALL 2023 FIFA WWC Discussion

The challenge now is how the public view and support competitions like the W-League. Supporting Chelsea or Real or any of the European clubs that Kerr and the like are at won't really do much

Things like this will give an initial boost for a year or two, but the infrastructure needs to be there for the next decade to retain interest and players

Nothing harder than keeping teenagers/young adults in sport and on pathways to becoming elite
This is why the Matildas were smart to say that they don't want a public holiday, but rather more support at a fundamental level.

The good news is I don’t need to watch soccer for a long while now…..

I wouldn't have watched it, even with your eyes.

Watch the rating tank, now the Matilda's are out.

Hope the bandwagoners, kept the receipts so they are return their jersey's etc. 😆

Disappointing result, but to be honest an expected result given the quality they were up against.

I think fatigue + Kennedy being out who has been a big part of our defence + England's disruptive tactics with the fouls played a big part in the result.

They made it further than I thought they would. I was expecting them to get as far as the QF and then get knocked out, but credit to them they made it to the final 4. Now they have a chance to nab a 3rd place spot which would be a great achievement for them.

Hopefully the WC campaigns from the Socceroos in '22 and the Matilda's this year is a turning point for football in Australia. But I don't have much faith in the FFA to make the necessary changes to really grow this sport in this country.

The challenge now is how the public view and support competitions like the W-League. Supporting Chelsea or Real or any of the European clubs that Kerr and the like are at won't really do much

Things like this will give an initial boost for a year or two, but the infrastructure needs to be there for the next decade to retain interest and players

Nothing harder than keeping teenagers/young adults in sport and on pathways to becoming elite

Unless this kind of supports transfers to the domestic game this success for the Matilda's will be a waste of time.

I have to laugh at all this " Dark Arts "cobblers coming out. It wasnt much different from anything you wouldnt see in most Premier league games. Good players get targeted by tactical fouls every single game., teams try to disrupt the flow of the game in every single game. Its annoying when it happens, but thats up to the refs to control it.

Australia simply didnt know how to manage a game under immense pressure at that level. They werent flexible enough in their style of play. I'm sure once they get more players who start playing in better teams and in better leagues that will change. Top 4 of a major competition is a very good result for Australia in the scheme of things.

I have to laugh at all this " Dark Arts "cobblers coming out. It wasnt much different from anything you wouldnt see in most Premier league games. Good players get targeted by tactical fouls every single game., teams try to disrupt the flow of the game in every single game. Its annoying when it happens, but thats up to the refs to control it.

Australia simply didnt know how to manage a game under immense pressure at that level. They werent flexible enough in their style of play. I'm sure once they get more players who start playing in better teams and in better leagues that will change. Top 4 of a major competition is a very good result for Australia in the scheme of things.
Some of my friends were complaining last night about England's fouls and I'm like don't you watch the EPL or any English football? They all play like that

Some of my friends were complaining last night about England's fouls and I'm like don't you watch the EPL or any English football? They all play like that

Most top sides do it. Some worse than others tbf. Watch a Brentford game, they are probably the worst side i have seen for it. Italy used to be terrible for it as well.

I felt the ref didn't have a good feel for the game, particularly in the last 15 minutes.

Thats pretty much the way I saw it.......Australia just aren't at the same level yet.

Probably overachieved getting into the finals in the first place.

This is why the Matildas were smart to say that they don't want a public holiday, but rather more support at a fundamental level.
But then Albo wouldn't be able to take any credit for it......which was the whole point of the PH exercise.

Unless this kind of supports transfers to the domestic game this success for the Matilda's will be a waste of time.
...it won't

and it will have been.

Ask all the bandwagoners about Womens soccer in Australia in a weeks time.......

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Brilliant to get to where they did, but they need backing at grass roots level now.

Better pathways I reckon. Its the most played sport in Australia - just need to give all the kids playing it a pathway to the elite level.

Signing up my daughters for it net year. Unfortunately they're doing Auskick atm...

Better pathways I reckon. Its the most played sport in Australia - just need to give all the kids playing it a pathway to the elite level.

Signing up my daughters for it net year. Unfortunately they're doing Auskick atm...

The problem i feel will always be, just like the A-League, the standard of the competitions here are just so poor that nobody is going to sink enough money in them. Players just dont have a choice to move to a European club.

The problem i feel will always be, just like the A-League, the standard of the competitions here are just so poor that nobody is going to sink enough money in them. Players just dont have a choice to move to a European club.
All these things take time I reckon. The standard of the NRL and AFL didn't happen overnight. They really need to try and build on the momentum of this world cup. Get the kids playing soccer already to get behind their A-league team. More people interested = more money = better quality.

AFL does this so well. In Canberra (which is usually NRL/Union focused), Auskick targets them early in school. When we signed our kids up (it was only around $80 each) they automatically became club members (we picked GWS) and get jerseys, cheap/free tickets, etc. Soccer should really do this, and they have the advantage (especially with girls) of it not being a full contact sport for worried parents.

The problem for Matilda’s now is the only “football” code being played by girls/women 20 years ago was soccer - therefore all the best athletes funnelled towards it, however the growth of women’s sport across the board has now options for little girls - so we will see more athletes gravitating towards the sports of their fathers - AFL or league etc.

11.15 million viewers at it's peak for the game against England.

The biggest in Australia history. Absolutely smashing Cathy Freeman's run in the 2000 Olympics.

Let's go Matildas.

Finishing 3rd would be a great achievement.

Unread

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Porthoz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.