2023 Official Roster (and Rumour) Tracker

Note: this isn't a rumour thread; it's for keeping track of the official roster and holding rumours accountable.
Discuss rumours in the official Rumours thread:

COMPLAIN TO @McHunt

RUMOURS [STATUS]

LIVE

Riccio: Broncos sign Jaiyden Hunt on two year deal.
@1910 : Josh Rogers development deal extended/renewed.
Badel: Walsh to be offered an upgraded, extended contract (2027+) with substantial pay rise.
Badel: Mam to be offered an upgraded, extended contract (2027+) with substantial pay rise.
Badel, Read: Reynolds WILL sign a 1 year extension to 2025 at season end.
Read, Dobbo: Oates to Newcastle unless Broncos raise offer. [BUSTED. Oates says will take pay cut.]

DEAD
Badel: Madden offered a 2 year extension to 2026. [CONFIRMED]
Badel, Meyn: Reynolds seeking an extension until 2025. [CONFIRMED]
Badel, Read, Meyn: Ikin has applied to quit Broncos and head up QRL. Made final four candidates. [GONE]
Carayannis, Read: Fletcher Baker to sign for 2024/2025. [CONFIRMED]
@007 : Haas deal good as done. Heard it in a cafe. [EXPIRED]
@007 : Ben Hunt on market for 2 year minimum contract @ $800K per year. Trust me. [CONFIRMED]
@007 : Ben Hunt wants to join Roosters, but Dragons are blocking him joining a Sydney club. [BUSTED]
Badel, etc: Ben Hunt asked to join Broncos immediately, then Titans next season. [CONFIRMED, BUT REFUSED BY DRAGONS]
Badel: club has opened talks with Haas. [CONFIRMED BY AGENT]
Dobbo: Arthars, Mariner and Haas to extend. [FIRST 2 CORRECT. 3RD EXPIRED]
@McHunt : Walker is unhappy at the Roosters. Made up. [CONFIRMED]
@1910 : Quai Ward to Bulldogs immediately. [GONE]

PLAYER ROSTER FOR 2023 AND BEYOND: 28/30 FILLED
PLAYER202320242025
Adam ReynoldsHalf20232024
Billy WaltersHooker, half20232024
Blake MozerHooker202320242025
Brendan PiakuraSecond row20232024
Corey JensenProp202320242025
Corey OatesWing2023POPO
Cory PaixHooker, half202320242025
Deine MarinerCentre, wing20232024Until 2027
Delouise HoeterCentre, wing20232024
Ethan Quai-WardCentre, wingBulldogs
Ezra MamHalf20232024
Fletcher BakerProp, Second Row20242025
Herbie FarnworthCentre, wing2023Sea World
Jesse ArtharsCentre, wing, Fullback20232024Until 2026
Jock MaddenHalf20232024
Jordan RikiSecond row20232024
Jordan PereiraWing2023
Keenan PalasiaSecond row2023Titans
Kobe HetheringtonLock202320242025
Kotoni StaggsCentre202320242025
Kurt CapewellSecond row20232024
Logan BaylissProp2023
Marty TaupauProp, second row, lock20232024
Patrick CarriganProp, lock20232024Until 2028
Payne HaasProp20232024Until 2026
Reece WalshFullback202320242025
Selwyn CobboWing, centre, fullback202320242025
Thomas FleglerProp2023Sea World
Tristan SailorFullback, half202320242025
Xavier WillisonProp202320242025

DEVELOPMENT
Brendan Frei: second row
Josh Rogers: half [Renewed]
Tristan Sailor: fullback, halves
Tyson Smoothy: hooker

OFF CONTRACT 2024
Jordan Pereira
Logan Bayliss
Tyson Smoothy

STOCKS

Front Row
Carrigan, Flegler, Haas, Willison, Jensen, Bayliss, Palasia, Taupau

Second Row
Piakura, Riki, Capewell, Frei, Palasia, Taupau

Lock
Carrigan, Hetherington, Flegler, Taupau

Hooker
Mozer, Paix, Walters, Smoothy

Half
Reynolds, Mam, Walters, Paix, Madden, Rogers, Sailor

Fullback
Cobbo, Walsh, Arthars, Sailor

Centre
Farnworth, Staggs, Hoeter, Mariner, Arthars, Cobbo, Capewell

Wing
Cobbo, Oates, Arthars, Hoeter, Farnworth, Pereira

ETHNO MAP

QLD (19)
Billy Walters, Blake Mozer, Brendan Piakura, Brendan Frei, Corey Jensen, Corey Oates, Cory Paix, Ezra Mam, Josh Rogers, Keenan Palasia, Kobe Hetherington, Kurt Capewell, Logan Bayliss, Patrick Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Tristan Sailor, Thomas Flegler, Tyson Smoothy

NZ (7)
Deine Mariner, Brendan Piakura, Jesse Arthars, Jordan Riki, Jordan Pereira, Marty Taupau, Xavier Willison

NSW (3)
Adam Reynolds, Jock Madden, Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas

Indigenous (5)
Ezra Mam, Jordan Riki, Kotoni Staggs, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo

Tonga (2)
Delouise Hoeter, Kotoni Staggs

Samoa (5)
Keenan Palasia, Jesse Arthars, Jordan Pereira, Payne Haas, Marty Taupau

Cook Islands (2)
Brendan Piakura, Xavier Willison

England (1)
Herbie Farnworth

Last edited:

Madden:

“My intentions coming here to the Broncos was to establish myself and see out my career in the Broncos’ No.7 jersey. The learnings and support I have from ‘Reyno’, ‘Kevvie’ and Lee Briers has been enormous and give me confidence in my own game. Reyno is a champion, he is always open to helping improve my game. The club, staff and playing group have created such a positive environment, I couldn’t see myself playing anywhere else.”​

Walters:
“Jock has been great for us since coming here. He has been sitting here patiently, but his form in the Queensland Cup has been outstanding and he’s got a great attitude. It is very difficult to manage the salary cap and that is one of the toughest parts of our game, particularly here at the Broncos where we have so much talent coming through. It is about making the right decisions on players. Salary-cap management is a tough one but we’ve got to get it right otherwise we start to fall away.”​

Chris Orr:
“Jock is a tremendously talented halfback. Within the right environment, which he has at the Broncos, I can see him having a long-term career. Kevvie has been terrific for Jock, as has assistant coach Lee Briers and Adam Reynolds. Jock is a great young man and a very good footballer, which is why the club was keen to secure his future. He fits the culture they are building at the Broncos.”​

Madden:

“My intentions coming here to the Broncos was to establish myself and see out my career in the Broncos’ No.7 jersey. The learnings and support I have from ‘Reyno’, ‘Kevvie’ and Lee Briers has been enormous and give me confidence in my own game. Reyno is a champion, he is always open to helping improve my game. The club, staff and playing group have created such a positive environment, I couldn’t see myself playing anywhere else.”​

Walters:
“Jock has been great for us since coming here. He has been sitting here patiently, but his form in the Queensland Cup has been outstanding and he’s got a great attitude. It is very difficult to manage the salary cap and that is one of the toughest parts of our game, particularly here at the Broncos where we have so much talent coming through. It is about making the right decisions on players. Salary-cap management is a tough one but we’ve got to get it right otherwise we start to fall away.”​

Chris Orr:
“Jock is a tremendously talented halfback. Within the right environment, which he has at the Broncos, I can see him having a long-term career. Kevvie has been terrific for Jock, as has assistant coach Lee Briers and Adam Reynolds. Jock is a great young man and a very good footballer, which is why the club was keen to secure his future. He fits the culture they are building at the Broncos.”​

Chris Orr seems to be building a pretty big roster at the broncos. Obviously has its concerns but the guy seems cut from a different cloth to most player managers.

@1910 any yarns about Orr?

Chris Orr seems to be building a pretty big roster at the broncos. Obviously has its concerns but the guy seems cut from a different cloth to most player managers.

I am not a massive fan. He's up to seven now; i made this point a few weeks ago people bang on about Moses- meanwhile.

Orr manages Cobbo, Smoothy, Madden, Pereira, Josh Rogers, Palasia, Frei and Coach Walters.

Smoothy and Pereira remain unsigned next season.
Rogers and Frei are development.

Not exactly the core of our team.
Palasia is also outta Red Hill too.
I expect we'll get a Smoothy announcement soon. Weird to be heading to the finals with a good quality rising spine player going off contract with not one rumour of any club interested in picking him up for a song.

Reyno (for another 2-3 years), Haas, Carrigan, Walsh, Mam, Mozer....If we can keep that core group of blokes together, nevermind who else stays or goes, we are going to have some seriously good years ahead of us over the next decade. Better yet, if we can unearth a good young halfback over the journey or sign a decent one from elsewhere, Walsh can play his career at fullback and the future is looking even better.

Walters:

“It’s been a team effort, because when we took over, the salary cap was a mess. Simon Scanlan has done a fantastic job to get us where we are now. To be honest, our salary cap was all over the place. Without bagging any one person, there was no structure to our cap and where money was being spent, but we’ve done a brilliant job spending the money where it should be spent. Simon, in particular, has knocked our cap into shape. He has done a terrific job, he has been working in our grassroots and Academy system for 10 years-plus and now we are seeing the quality of these kids, and their characters, coming through. I don’t know the ceiling of this team and where they can get to, but we’re not satisfied yet.”​
“I know we are a very good side. Looking short-term and not long-term, I believe the contents are here for a very successful club over the next four or five years. That means hanging onto some players and guys like Payne wanting to get better and Walshy and Ezra. Football just doesn’t happen. You just don’t win premierships. You have to go after it and work really hard and these guys are prepared to do that. When success comes, you have to go again, like the Panthers have shown us. They are a hungry side and they are showing the way for all clubs. We have the ability to do that, but we have a duck egg sitting there, they have two premierships and three grand finals, so we’re chasing that.”​

Ikin:

“In roster management, you are looking for a few things. One is capability, can they play? Character, are they a good person? But the third and most important category is compatibility, do they fit? Because Kevvie shows you who he is and is very clear on how he wants his team to play, you learn very quickly about the players who are going to fit and the players who aren’t, which makes it easy for a list manager like Simon Scanlan, who has done a magnificent job himself. Simon and Kevvie working together knocked that roster into shape. Simon was very adept at understanding what type of player Kev wanted and once they figured it out between them, they had the courage and wherewithal to move on players that didn’t fit and bring in players that did fit.”​
“Absolutely I do think they can go all the way. They have a great roster, a great coach who bleeds Broncos, so the ingredients are there. From what I am seeing at the moment, this team is chock full of talent, playing good footy, now they just need a fit and firing Adam Reynolds. If all those things line up they are every chance of taking it out. You can see the belief is building.”​
Badel:

"There were five key factors in the Broncos’ salary-cap restructure. One was the bombshell decision to jettison Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai Jnr. At the time, they were key members of Brisbane’s pack, but Walters deemed the Broncos needed salary-cap money re-directed to their spine. Offloading the big gun duo freed up an estimated $1.4 million. That money was used to poach star playmaker Adam Reynolds from Souths and his three-year, $800,000-a-season outlay has proved one of the best investments in Brisbane’s history."​
"The Broncos then bought wisely, and with a slice of luck, securing Reece Walsh from the Warriors for a bargain at $400,000 this year, while Scanlan helped bring through Academy stars Selwyn Cobbo, Deine Mariner and Pat Carrigan, initially on cut-price rookie deals. The NRL’s decision to increase the salary cap to $12.1 million this season has helped the Broncos reward emerging players and upgrade superstar prop Payne Haas, who last week inked a $3.5 million extension. Once imbalanced, the Broncos now have a red-hot spine led by Reynolds, Walsh and Ezra Mam and an engine-room leader in Haas."​

Yeah, Broncos were definitely forward heavy before. With Haas and Carrigan in the middle you can easily get away with other cheaper middle forwards as back up, they just need to be good enough to contribute, not necessarily be rep level players. Having Lodge and TPJ on top of that was overkill and poor balance. Its probably why Flegler might not be a particularly big loss either.

Yeah, Broncos were definitely forward heavy before. With Haas and Carrigan in the middle you can easily get away with other cheaper middle forwards as back up, they just need to be good enough to contribute, not necessarily be rep level players. Having Lodge and TPJ on top of that was overkill and poor balance. Its probably why Flegler might not be a particularly big loss either.
It's why I'm please we recruited players like Jensen, hardworking, consistent team player to help balance the squad. The biggest improvement in the squad isn't necessarily that our best has improved, but that our lower end has grown in quality, our depth is better and thats been evident when they have been called upon.

It's why I'm please we recruited players like Jensen, hardworking, consistent team player to help balance the squad. The biggest improvement in the squad isn't necessarily that our best has improved, but that our lower end has grown in quality, our depth is better and thats been evident when they have been called upon.
On this note, kind of, since they announced the fletcher baker signing I've been watching him in roosters games and he is well hell of a bargain by the looks of things.

Finds his front, great defender, skittles defenders with hard runs but can ball play a little (although he should run harder more often and less passing), but the thing I've been most impressed with is his desperation and effort areas. Chased a couple breaks, saved a couple tries, been there on kicks and line breaks for the roosters. Real 1% player. Not going to be a world beater but should be a very, very reliable option if he doesnt kick on but with a lot of upside if the change of scenery does make him progress more...

On this note, kind of, since they announced the fletcher baker signing I've been watching him in roosters games and he is well hell of a bargain by the looks of things.

Finds his front, great defender, skittles defenders with hard runs but can ball play a little (although he should run harder more often and less passing), but the thing I've been most impressed with is his desperation and effort areas. Chased a couple breaks, saved a couple tries, been there on kicks and line breaks for the roosters. Real 1% player. Not going to be a world beater but should be a very, very reliable option if he doesnt kick on but with a lot of upside if the change of scenery does make him progress more...
I've noticed his support play is pretty good. Always seems to push up and support the other middles. I would not be surprised if he was spotted by briers given this is a big area he looks at.

The Eels plan back fired .
Sold off their forwards to keep Moses and Brown . Now don`t have the forwards depth to match the elite teams .

Active Now

• Midean
  • KateBroncos1812
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Johnny92
  • Accept
  • Wolfie
  • jarro65
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Lurker
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Skathen
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • simplythebest
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fatboy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Spike
... and 44 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.