2023 State of Origin - Game II Discussion

Some commentary from NSW questioning the first try. It was 50/50 but, as it was a loose ball, Holmes only needed downward pressure, ie a fingertip, and did not need to regain possession (which he would need to do if he had already had control).
And the 2nd try forward pass was as fwd as the Martin try in Game 1. You will see the same sort of fwd pass for a try this weekend. Note Fifita has momentum and then stops with the tackle impact. The momentum of the ball doesn't disappear. Check Newton, and no, not Clint...

It was contentious because when he makes contact with the ball, it's not on the ground and there was a replay that suggested there was separation.

But the side on angle showed his finger remained on the ball the whole time and he applies downward pressure so it was a legitimate try.

Hopefully Slater will have them primed and focused on the job for the next game.

We want 3-0. We want the whitewash. Pretty good chance it won't happen, but it will be much sweeter raising the shield on NSW's home ground after a win.

Brandy answers why Cook was put at centre.

They're desperately trying to justify their decision and for mine, they haven't done a good job at doing so. They were concerned that Murray wouldn't have the speed to defend in that position and would get found out by the likes of Holmes/Walsh so they put Cook there. What happened? Cook was found out by Holmes/Walsh. They had better options available and they didn't need to put either Murray or Cook there.

They could have put Yeo at centre and brought Murray on in the middle since they wanted to use him in the middle. Or even Martin at centre, Yeo backrow and Murray middle. Or even Hudson at centre. Each of them would have allowed them to use Cook as planned and it would have been better for them. But instead they carry on like their hands were tied, such bullshit.

Cook was like a deer in headlights and QLD had a field day with him.

Brandy answers why Cook was put at centre.

They're desperately trying to justify their decision and for mine, they haven't done a good job at doing so. They were concerned that Murray wouldn't have the speed to defend in that position and would get found out by the likes of Holmes/Walsh so they put Cook there. What happened? Cook was found out by Holmes/Walsh. They had better options available and they didn't need to put either Murray or Cook there.

They could have put Yeo at centre and brought Murray on in the middle since they wanted to use him in the middle. Or even Martin at centre, Yeo backrow and Murray middle. Or even Hudson at centre. Each of them would have allowed them to use Cook as planned and it would have been better for them. But instead they carry on like their hands were tied, such bullshit.

Cook was like a deer in headlights and QLD had a field day with him.

Yeah, they basically signed their own death warrants with their selections and reasonings. QLD had to do it too, and they didn't put Grant at 2nd row, or when Herbie goes down we don't put Paix there. You chuck Capewell in, or Cotter. The reasoning that "you don't put outside backs on your bench" was followed immediately with "yeah, Murray has played centre". Just doggy paddling, trying to keep his head above water.
They definitely have no idea what they are doing. Picking Turbo was also an admitted "roll of the dice". If Murray isn't a good cover, then pick something with more utility. Their stocks aren't that dire. They all have worked at Fox for too long, they're blinded by the media hype.

The response from the NSW crew has been fucking hilarious since they got thumped.
QLD have been nothing but class and respect, and NSW has been all excuses.

Listening to blocker try to blame their loss on everything except their own ineptitude was a doozy.
Same with Brandy and Braith.

This is glorious.
Freddy should be held accountable, not just for the losses under his tenure, but for encouraging the most ugly side of footballers i think ive ever seen.

Sure Gallen was a mongrel, but i never thought he was an outright dog, whereas this NSW side was a pack of cowardly bitches across the board with a few exceptions (Haas, Cook etc).

The dog shots and dirty play is worse than it has ever been in this series i reckon.
No wonder they lose when their whole tactic is to play as dirty as possible at the first signs of pressure.

Addo Carr and Luai should never be in an Origin jersey again, utter grubs the both of them.

Yeah, they basically signed their own death warrants with their selections and reasonings. QLD had to do it too, and they didn't put Grant at 2nd row, or when Herbie goes down we don't put Paix there. You chuck Capewell in, or Cotter. The reasoning that "you don't put outside backs on your bench" was followed immediately with "yeah, Murray has played centre". Just doggy paddling, trying to keep his head above water.
They definitely have no idea what they are doing. Picking Turbo was also an admitted "roll of the dice". If Murray isn't a good cover, then pick something with more utility. Their stocks aren't that dire. They all have worked at Fox for too long, they're blinded by the media hype.

If they knew Turbo was a risk, have Burton at 14. Covers the halves but he has played centre at a high enough level. And he's big enough to cover the middle like we used to do with Cronk & Ponga when they were behind Lockyer/Thurston/Slater etc.

The response from the NSW crew has been fucking hilarious since they got thumped.
QLD have been nothing but class and respect, and NSW has been all excuses.

Listening to blocker try to blame their loss on everything except their own ineptitude was a doozy.
Same with Brandy and Braith.

This is glorious.
Freddy should be held accountable, not just for the losses under his tenure, but for encouraging the most ugly side of footballers i think ive ever seen.

Sure Gallen was a mongrel, but i never thought he was an outright dog, whereas this NSW side was a pack of cowardly bitches across the board with a few exceptions (Haas, Cook etc).

The dog shots and dirty play is worse than it has ever been in this series i reckon.
No wonder they lose when their whole tactic is to play as dirty as possible at the first signs of pressure.

Addo Carr and Luai should never be in an Origin jersey again, utter grubs the both of them.
Yeah nah Gallen was an outright dog.

I wonder if that old nsw grubs vid is still on YouTube

edit: it is, refresh your memory.

Let’s not forget Gallen picking at stitches too and he was on roids at his peak.

That said, during that era, there were only three guys you ever worried about on the NSW team - Gallen, Hayne and to a far lesser extent, Lewis. So although he was as dirty as they come, Gallen was able to really back it up with performance.

Luai on the other hand is just a grub but at origin level, just not very good. Young is so out of place at this level it’s hilarious. The other cheap shot merchant who really has gone down in my eyes is Martin. I really like the way he normally plays, tough but fair. This series though, he’s also looking for constant cheap shots.

Fittler probably remembered when Wayne moved Kodi to left center for the Phins and he dominated Raimen and just copied the idea.

If they knew Turbo was a risk, have Burton at 14. Covers the halves but he has played centre at a high enough level. And he's big enough to cover the middle like we used to do with Cronk & Ponga when they were behind Lockyer/Thurston/Slater etc.
💯 I said this to my blue supporting brother in law while we were watching the game.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Fitzy
  • whykickamoocow
  • bb_gun
  • jarro65
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • Ronald
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • mrslong
  • Rambstien
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  • Robboi_321
  • Jazza
  • Mick_Hancock
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.