2023 State of Origin - Game II Discussion

If Haas tackled like Flegler, I would be worried. But he doesn't. He basically just bear-hugs. Wish he also tackled harder on top of his other amazing efforts, tbh.

Some commentary from NSW questioning the first try. It was 50/50 but, as it was a loose ball, Holmes only needed downward pressure, ie a fingertip, and did not need to regain possession (which he would need to do if he had already had control).
And the 2nd try forward pass was as fwd as the Martin try in Game 1. You will see the same sort of fwd pass for a try this weekend. Note Fifita has momentum and then stops with the tackle impact. The momentum of the ball doesn't disappear. Check Newton, and no, not Clint...

Some commentary from NSW questioning the first try. It was 50/50 but, as it was a loose ball, Holmes only needed downward pressure, ie a fingertip, and did not need to regain possession (which he would need to do if he had already had control).
And the 2nd try forward pass was as fwd as the Martin try in Game 1. You will see the same sort of fwd pass for a try this weekend. Note Fifita has momentum and then stops with the tackle impact. The momentum of the ball doesn't disappear. Check Newton, and no, not Clint...
On the first try isn't it basically a knocked back anyway?

Val is closer to the deadball line and reaching backwards, so any initial touch is potentially just sending the ball backwards at which point he grounds it cleanly anyway

So this is okay now:

I'm absolutely steaming about some of the dog shots they put on lastnight, these two were blatant, as was Luai standing over DCE. Martin took out another player in the air as well (was it Coates? I forget) and nothing has been said. It's unforgivable that this stuff wasn't cited but the love taps from Walsh/Luai were.

I know Origin is a different beast but it's not good enough.

So this is okay now:

View attachment 22704
View attachment 22705

I'm absolutely steaming about some of the dog shots they put on lastnight, these two were blatant, as was Luai standing over DCE. Martin took out another player in the air as well (was it Coates? I forget) and nothing has been said. It's unforgivable that this stuff wasn't cited but the love taps from Walsh/Luai were.

I know Origin is a different beast but it's not good enough.
Val Holmes, I think. Martin got him jumping across on a take near try line in 47th minute.

Watched the game again this morning. B E A U T I F U L

Few takeaways:

Walsh was better than I thought he was on first watch and I thought he was great. Just popped up everywhere. If he ever gets 15% better under the high ball it is scary hours.

Given Coates some shit over the years but he was so good out of yardage. Especially in the first half. The whole backline was so solid.

DCE is getting even better some how. Playing straighter more than ever and his off the ball work in support and kicking game is so good.

Munster has to be creeping up the ladder of greatest origin players ever. Always takes the right option and just a physical force on both sides of the ball. Not sure if you remember it but we were getting smashed for a 6-7min period when the game was in the balance in the first half. Shit field possession set after set and we needed something and he put his hand up and took a hit up right off the ruck. Gave the guys around him an absolute gobful too. Next tackle can't remember who it was they ran for 15m. Underrated leader.

Carrigan when the game was close was enormous. Felt like he ran for more metres.

Collins is the new Nate Myles. Just goes up another gear in origin.

Most of the squad are all young. Depth has never been better. Not even in the dynasty years was it this deep imo. If we ever groom the right halfback for after DCE moves on then it might be another 5 or 6 years before they get close again. They don't have many great young players coming through which is a bit of a blight considering the pool they have to choose from.

During the tackle following which Luai stood over DCE, I’m fucking sure he trapped Cherry’s leg in a fucking leg lock and pulled him backwards, dropping his weight in the back of Cherry’s legs. Surely this should have attracted a dangerous contact charge.

Did anyone else see this or am I going mad?

JAC has now proven what an absolute flog he is after that effort last night on Walsh.

What a fucking pea-hearted **** to come running in off your wing, to be behind basically your whole team and throw a punch at someone who is pinned. And then to walk off after getting binned with a shit eating grin just shows what an A grade fuckstick this bloke is.
I completely agree but for me he proved what a A grade fuckstick he was years ago. This is just reinforcement.

One thing I did notice, is I've never seen crisper service than Reece Robson from dummy half. He can pass a ball that's for sure

During the tackle following which Luai stood over DCE, I’m fucking sure he trapped Cherry’s leg in a fucking leg lock and pulled him backwards, dropping his weight in the back of Cherry’s legs. Surely this should have attracted a dangerous contact charge.

Did anyone else see this or am I going mad?
He definitely was working him over and around on the ground. DCE did similar on Crighton after he chased him down. It's standard slowing the ruck, but yeah, it can go into dodgy zones if the tackler is weak or trying to use leverage on joints, etc. Luai is just one of those players that find themselves lacking (confidence more than skill) at Origin level and so compensate with dodgy tactics.
It happens at every level of the sport and sometimes gets reinforced with positive results, e.g., Josh McGuire.
Doesn't pass the eye test, but can be selected for when it bears fruit. Especially when there isn't an apparent better option available.

We all love a bit of mongrel, but don't like when they're absolute dogs.

I was hoping to see how Walsh would go kicking out of dummy half given the work he did on that during the week, but he never needed to get into dummy half and kick.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • Astro
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Tmac
  • Brocko
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Stix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.