2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

Wait what?

Oh my god!

12396266-6932693-Eric_Butts_posted_the_video_of_him_watching_the_Episode_IX_tease-m-3_1555526192430.jpg

We're so back, boys!

If you're looking for a bit of a trip down memory lane.

Digital versions of Big League GF editions.

If you're looking for a bit of a trip down memory lane.

Digital versions of Big League GF editions.

You know me too well - I was browsing through these last night. Naturally had to check out 1992/93 but also went right back to '78 and their report on the Redcliffe/Valleys Prelim. Tosser Turner was convinced Valleys would go the entire way, especially after the exploits of a young 18 year old named Wally Lewis.

Tosser would have done his money - Easts would go onto pinch the final 14-10. Lewis denied a penalty try despite clearly being held back by one of the chasers.

Prior to appointing Ryles as coach, Parramatta reportedly offered Craig Bellamy and NRL record $10 million over 4 years.

He knocked them back

...and yet if Madge fails for us, the media and **** knows how many fans will STILL suggest we drive a dump truck of cash up to his door. He will never coach anywhere but Melbourne.

Prior to appointing Ryles as coach, Parramatta reportedly offered Craig Bellamy and NRL record $10 million over 4 years.

He knocked them back
I'm guessing he knocked them back before the amount they offered right, laughing as he walked out of the door.

Bears bid is reportedly in Jeopardy now. Vlandys has had a dig at all bid except the PNG bid. probably because that is the only bid to receive government money ... but if he hasn't learned anything from the NSW Stadium deal falling through then he is dumber than I gave him credit for. That money is definitely no certainty, all it takes is a change of government for them to re-evaluate their spending, and wouldn't you know it there is a federal election in 6 months.

The dickhead in charge (AKA Peter Vlandys) said:

“Look, we have run into a bit of a hiccup at the moment in relation to the bids weren’t as good as we hoped they would be, except for the Papua New Guinea bid,” V’landys said.

“That was exactly like we expected but the others weren’t. That has probably slowed us up a bit but we will certainly be looking nevertheless in trying to expand in the next few years because we need to have our content right when we go to the broadcasters to get our maximum broadcast deal.”

Asked specifically where the bids had fallen short, V’landys said: “I think it’s the financial aspects of the bid haven’t been sufficient.

“They need to invest more and they haven’t invested enough. I think they have taken it for granted that they will get a licence.

“I have said from day one that it has to be a strong business case in order for us to expand. We’re not going to go to (our) clubs unless there is a solid business case to show that expansion is going to return substantial new money to the game and more importantly substantial new fans.

“Unfortunately the bids have not done that.”

Paraphrasing: ‘They all need to offer my more on the side money. They need to invest in my personal account more.’

I really wish he could somehow be removed from rugby league entirely and take his patsy Abdo along with him. These two have done nothing good for league and in fact the opposite but hey, they returned the sport two weeks before everyone else.

2024 the most mid boring season of nrl ever

The game is really at a cross roads. For the first time I can remember, perhaps ever, AFL viewership has gone past the NRL. This is a huge issue. The NRL as it is right now is unwatchable unless your team is playing and even then, depending on which way the ref woke up in the morning, your own team’s game might be unwatchable too.

I fear for the future of league. If this much damage is being done in the short term by all these short sighted decisions, what does it mean in the longer term?

The game is really at a cross roads. For the first time I can remember, perhaps ever, AFL viewership has gone past the NRL. This is a huge issue. The NRL as it is right now is unwatchable unless your team is playing and even then, depending on which way the ref woke up in the morning, your own team’s game might be unwatchable too.

I fear for the future of league. If this much damage is being done in the short term by all these short sighted decisions, what does it mean in the longer term?

If someone told me V'landys was a plant from the AFL, I would struggle to disbelieve it.

How is the game unwatchable when TV ratings are at record highs?

Unread

Active Now

• MaroubraBroncos
  • Dee
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bazza
  • Galah
  • Redux
  • Behind enemy lines
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Locky24
  • Painin the Haas
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.