2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

The backers behind the Bears bid to return to the NRL have been carrying on for years how they have the money to get the Bears back into the comp, but then they try to low ball on the bid.

It's a shame because I was looking forward to the Bears re-entering the comp even if they weren't going to be the traditional North Sydney Bears anymore.

I wonder if Brisbane Tigers are going to try and pounce.

The backers behind the Bears bid to return to the NRL have been carrying on for years how they have the money to get the Bears back into the comp, but then they try to low ball on the bid.

It's a shame because I was looking forward to the Bears re-entering the comp even if they weren't going to be the traditional North Sydney Bears anymore.

I wonder if Brisbane Tigers are going to try and pounce.

The last report on expansion that I saw basically said that Vlandys was disappointed with the financial aspect of all the bids, none of them met expectations.

The exception was the PNG bid, which of course has $600 million of tax payer cash attached to it courtesy of the Albo Government

The last report on expansion that I saw basically said that Vlandys was disappointed with the financial aspect of all the bids, none of them met expectations.

The exception was the PNG bid, which of course has $600 million of tax payer cash attached to it courtesy of the Albo Government

So Vlando's comment was “All I will say their bid is extremely short. I will have more talks with the WA government, but not necessarily the current consortium.”

He's going after more tax payer dollars.

The Panthers have reportedly told the NRL that there is “no way in the world” they'll be playing the World Club Challenge against the SL Premiers.

they're sighting player burnout as many of their players are playing in the end of season internationals, and the fact they're playing in Vegas next year

Panthers CEO, Brian Fletcher said:

“You couldn’t put the players through it. We can’t play it, we don’t have the time span,” Fletcher said. “It’s impractical. There’s no way in the world we could fit it into the schedule. Our coaches and football department have said the players couldn’t stand up to it.

“The amount of football that they’ve played and then a World Club Challenge before we go to Vegas – it becomes too much. Player welfare is the biggest problem. We have 20-odd players in the Pacific Test matches as well and we have a lot of surgery to be done on players over the off-season.

The Panthers have reportedly told the NRL that there is “no way in the world” they'll be playing the World Club Challenge against the SL Premiers.

they're sighting player burnout as many of their players are playing in the end of season internationals, and the fact they're playing in Vegas next year

“You couldn’t put the players through it. We can’t play it, we don’t have the time span,” Fletcher said. “It’s impractical. There’s no way in the world we could fit it into the schedule. Our coaches and football department have said the players couldn’t stand up to it.

“The amount of football that they’ve played and then a World Club Challenge before we go to Vegas – it becomes too much. Player welfare is the biggest problem. We have 20-odd players in the Pacific Test matches as well and we have a lot of surgery to be done on players over the off-season.
Toughen up or play your younger players. FFS the poor 4 time repeat premiers. Just up the roids, I mean conditioning program.

He's not wrong the schedule is ridiculous at the moment.

I'll be interested to see how Panthers cope with Vegas next year and if there's any impact on their form.

Particularly after he's had a suckle at that sweet, sweet government teat.

Still in the planning stages at the moment isn`t it ?

And many a slip between the cup and the lip ...

@McHunt you are the resident media spin translation expert . What does this double speak actually say in our dialect .

Papua New Guinea are reportedly set to become the NRL’s 19th franchise, with an in-principle agreement being brokered between the ARLC and the federal government.

That is according to The Daily Telegraph, who are reporting prime minister Anthony Albanese is backing a 10-year, $600 million funding plan to bring PNG into the NRL.

PNG are set to enter the first grade competition in 2028, following the Western Bears’ introduction only 12 months earlier as the 18th franchise.

It`s 600 Mil over 10 years .
60 of that goes to the current NRL teams . So 540 Mil or 54 mil per year .
Aus government already gives a fck ton more than that to allegedly corrupt politicians in PNG .

The Bears were to come 1st then the PNG Hunters .
Well , that plan is bust . Gonna get complicated now .

It has always been a joke game to me. Nrl team would win it every year if it wasn't played in our off season.

Unread

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Johnny92
  • Fitzy
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Tmac
  • Rookie Alan
  • davidp
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.