2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Not happy with Riki and Piaks re-signing?
I'm happy but nowhere near satisfied. We have lost 4 of our 17 from last year, still haven't announced mam with every other top 5/8th announced, no surprise genuine top 17 money ball signings....

The Manzier:

For anyone interested, his tattoos says loyal family. I don't know what he's meaning to be honest, whether loyal to family or his family is loyal to him or his family name is loyal. It is just a limited pairing of characters, I need more info.

For anyone interested, his tattoos says loyal family. I don't know what he's meaning to be honest, whether loyal to family or his family is loyal to him or his family name is loyal. It is just a limited pairing of characters, I need more info.

Not suggesting we bring him back at all, but like Dearden I'd love to see how he would go in this version of the Broncos.

Totally agree. I think it would be an interesting discussion as to which of Dumbell or Croft would pair better with Mam because ultimately, this would be the key factor as Mam is better than both and is what the side is being built around moving forward and rightly so.

Has anyone managed to form an opinion on Marty? I haven't either way.

Unless he shifts up a gear this season in Flegler's absence, I suspect he might be another one of those fading stars you'll forget ever played for the Broncos.

Put it this way: who would excite you more coming off the bench with 10 to go: Marty or Oates?

Looking pretty trim though:

ScreenGBsSJHebsAEPvJ4

Now on to the team that finished second last year (if you don't count the last 20 minutes of the season because really, nothing important happened there anyway).

Penrith will once again go into season 2024 as the team to beat and rightly so. This is a side that just continues to play at a level above every other side...bar one. However, they are a champion team for a reason and proved it when it mattered most. They were gone for all money until they weren't in what was EASILY one of if not THE best GF of all time. That was two absolute gun teams duking it and for once being allowed to do so by the ref, was...champagne rugby league!

As happens, with these things, I try to be as objective as possible and the reality is, this side is still just so strong and while Crichton is a massive loss, they have not lost anywhere near as much as their direct opposition, Brisbane, have. Even so, they have a ridiculous conveyor belt of talent coming through there. Even if they release Luai early, they are in the crazy position where this would actually make them stronger AND save money, they just could not have recruited a better fit for Cleary than Schneider.

With the Broncs middle weakened, Penrith's middle will go into season '24 unrivalled. They have winners everywhere and no how to win it all to the point now where they don't just hope to do so, they expect to. In Edwards, they have the most underrated fullback in the comp, he just does not do anything wrong and cleans up EVERYTHING that comes his way.

While their backline looks significantly weaker without Crichton, their systems are so well ungrained, one wonders whether it will even matter that much in the end. The reality is, they have Cleary and while ever they do so, they will always have a massive leg up on every other side in the comp, he is just so good. A champion halfback with all the skills he has plus a long kicking game would be great in any era, but given the dearth of them worldwide these days, it just puts them in a position that every other team envies and he is still so young comparatively. This team is going to be up there for a long time to come.

So...what do the Panthers look like going into 2024? Well plain and simply, scary once again:

1. Edwards
2. Turuva
3. May
4. Tago
5. Turuva
6. Luai / Schneider
7. Cleary
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Fisher-Harris
11. Sorensen
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Luke
15. Smith
16. Henry / Eisenhuth
17. Geyer / Hosking / Garner

They may still lose Luai and Hosking before the season starts but man, what does it matter? They first team is just so good and the guys coming through don't even seem that far behind. This is a side that will be odds on to go the four-peat and in my opinion, as much as I talk up the Roosters and Rabbits next year...there really is only one team that looks like they can stop it happening and they will be next.

Has anyone managed to form an opinion on Marty? I haven't either way.

Unless he shifts up a gear this season in Flegler's absence, I suspect he might be another one of those fading stars you'll forget ever played for the Broncos.

Put it this way: who would excite you more coming off the bench with 10 to go: Marty or Oates?

Looking pretty trim though:

View attachment 25548
To answer your question, Marty

Is this actually true!?! Crazy if it is...

“From a football perspective, we’re a long way in front of where we were this time last year, particularly with our defensive structures and our attack as we have the same spine for the first time in back-to-back seasons".

Hmmmmm

2023: Walsh, Ezra, Reynolds, Billy
2022: TMM/Tesi, Albert/Gamble/Ezra, Reynolds, Turps/Paix/Billy
2021: Isaako/Tesi, Milf/Gamble, Croft/Dearden/Gamble, Turps/Levi/Paix
2020: DOES NOT EXIST
2019: Boyd, Milf, Kodi/SOS/Dearden, Macca/Seggy

So probably is the most settled our spine has been since 2019, but in terms of back to back seasons, probably as far back as 2015/2016/2017 when it would've been Boyd, Milf, Bhunt, Macca locked in.

It would definitely be a first as far as Kevvie is concerned... he had a lot of churn in his initial years as he looked to find a spine that he was happy with, but also players that were worth keeping around.

Im not happy with letting Capewell walk with a year left. Leaves us really exposed in the second row to be honest.

disclaimer: what i'm about to say is not necessarily direct at you, buty it is on the subject of your post which has been repeated quite a few time over the last few weeks.

now on to my comment:

I think BHQ are worried that there won't be much to complain about next year and for that reason wanted to keep Capes on board ... the amount of times that i've read on here, over the last season, complaints about Capewell is incredible. so many people wanted him banished to QLD cup never to be heard from again (or better yet, out of the squad altogether) was insane. However, since we granted him a release, we haven't heard any of those comments, in fact just the opposite. 🤔

disclaimer: what i'm about to say is not necessarily direct at you, buty it is on the subject of your post which has been repeated quite a few time over the last few weeks.

now on to my comment:

I think BHQ are worried that there won't be much to complain about next year and for that reason wanted to keep Capes on board ... the amount of times that i've read on here, over the last season, complaints about Capewell is incredible. so many people wanted him banished to QLD cup never to be heard from again (or better yet, out of the squad altogether) was insane. However, since we granted him a release, we haven't heard any of those comments, in fact just the opposite. 🤔
Don't worry - pitchforks are ready the very moment Billy stuffs up, probably, from some of our members.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • heartly87
  • Broncorob
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.