Q-CUP 2024 Queensland Cup Discussion

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
So would you say Black's debut was a pass?

For sure, he did well for his first time against men coming off a GF thumping last week and in PNG.

Bye next week so he gets a rest, which I know played a part in letting him play- he can regroup and watch it and go again.

I liked the kick for Leota, I liked the holding guys up to stop tries and I liked the having confidence to take the goal kicks.

K

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
It's great to hear about Coby Blacks debut and amazing to see him start so well. I do believe with some proper training and guidance, we have another amazing half in our wings.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Mozer off at 47 minutes and didn't do a second stint.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Bryant played 80 minutes for the first time for Tweed.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
TOTW.

Think that’s pretty accurate.

7. Coby Black – Souths Logan Magpies​

What a debut for the young Brisbane Broncos affiliate. In his first Hostplus Cup game, Black showed little hesitation in getting involved. With two try assists, four tackle breaks and two line break assists, he was busy in attack and also made 49 run metres. He impressed with his kicking game and had his defence tested by the Hunters, making 11 tackles. Tweed’s Tom Steadman and Burleigh’s Guy Hamilton were also standouts, but Black’s effort on debut on a big stage earns him the nod this week.

10. Fletcher Baker – Souths Logan Magpies​

The Brisbane Broncos affiliate aimed up against the big Hunters pack on Saturday, making quite the statement. In 68 minutes, he got through a mountain of work, including 170 run metres, five offloads, a tackle break, a line break assist and a try assist. He also made 27 tackles. Ryan Jackson also impressed for the Capras with a try and 153 run metres.

17. Blake Mozer – Souths Logan Magpies​

Mozer was big for Souths Logan in their much-needed win over the PNG Hunters. The Brisbane Broncos affiliate bagged two tries and recorded 98 run metres, two line breaks, two line break assist and 15 tackles.

Baker’s off load for Robinson try or Black’s kick for Leota would be my Bronco play of the round.

In context- Baker’s was just after HT when it would be classic Souths to let two tries in and Black’s was his first set in Cup the week after a losing GF and in a new team.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019

Called it at the start of the year Black had to go to Souths to get Qcup game time, this is good for his development and he picked it up right away.

Wouldn't expect every game to be like this, but he needs game time in Qcup to develop and the path is more clear going to Souths.

They are basically the Broncos B team these days lol.

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020

Called it at the start of the year Black had to go to Souths to get Qcup game time, this is good for his development and he picked it up right away.

Wouldn't expect every game to be like this, but he needs game time in Qcup to develop and the path is more clear going to Souths.

Tough initiation in PNG. A lot to like about this. Lets hope the progression continues

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Hard balance, Souths have a spot but are they good for a players development? Winning or losing 42-38 every week doesn’t prepare you for NRL. I think development wise he’d be better at Bears or Wynnum- strong clubs that always win and great forwards but getting 80 minutes it’s Magpies.

I’m not a massive fan of three clubs in 12 months either.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Hard balance, Souths have a spot but are they good for a players development? Winning or losing 42-38 every week doesn’t prepare you for NRL. I think development wise he’d be better at Bears or Wynnum- strong clubs that always win and great forwards but getting 80 minutes it’s Magpies.

That's exactly what I was questioning when I asked prior to him making his debut for Souths, if moving him there was a smart decision or not.

I don't watch enough QLD cup to know if it was or not. I think you just answered my question though.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

I guess the question is would he be better off in low level football or developing in a poorly performing QCup team

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I guess the question is would he be better off in low level football or developing in a poorly performing QCup team

If he stays at the Bears, he wins, plays finals, learns from Hamiliton and Rogers but at best plays off the bench and a game sometimes this year. But if he goes to Souths, he's more likely to play 80 minutes but he's not playing finals and not winning a lot.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
If he stays at the Bears, he wins, plays finals, learns from Hamiliton and Rogers but at best plays off the bench and a game sometimes this year. But if he goes to Souths, he's more likely to play 80 minutes but he's not playing finals and not winning a lot.
I'd assume the preferred approach wouldve been Burleigh this year to learn and maybe get a game here and there, and then move him to Souths next year to start playing regular first grade games.

Have they potentially just fast tracked that because Souths are just running out of players?

Maybe not ideal to disrupt a development plan due to injuries at an affiliate though

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I guess you can look at Souths and think well Black gets to play with Mozer and behind a decent front row rotations at Souths.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Sproj
  • jd87
  • Canga
  • Dash
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Lozza
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.