Q-CUP 2024 Queensland Cup Discussion

XXXX Queensland City v Country - Men​

City​

1. Ono Sooialo (Ipswich/Redbank Plains)
2. Deijion Leugaimafa (Ipswich/Brothers)
3. Bessie Aufaga-Toomaga (Ipswich/Redbank Plains)
4. Montel Lisala (Brisbane/Redcliffe)
5. Oskar Enasio (Brisbane/Beenleigh)
6. Nathan Brown (Brisbane/West Brisbane)
7. Brayden Torpy (Brisbane/Carina)
8. Cameron Torpy (Brisbane/Carina)
9. Jordan Scott (Gold Coast/Southport)
10. Takitau Mapapalangi (Gold Coast/Burleigh)
11. Harry Armstrong (Brisbane/Beenleigh)
12. Samuel Collins (Brisbane/West Brisbane)
13. Dredin Sorensen (Brisbane/Carina)

Interchange
14. Blake Scott (Gold Coast/Southport)
15. Beni Allen (Brisbane/Beenleigh)
16. Daniel Shannon (Gold Coast/Southport)
17. Samuel Shannon (Gold Coast/Southport)

Where is the City v Country match played?

Hetherington named for Wynnum. Have Wynnum stuffed up and given up a Kev trick for later in the week or confused Kobe and Zac?
I was thinking you must be talking about his brother... but there he is in the 21 jersey.

That would be surprising. Maybe Smoothy comes in ?
It would seem odd to drop him this week with Piakura coming back from a groin injury after only a week off... not much coverage for second row if Kobe is gone from the 17

I thought Smoothy was OK before his injury. He combined well with Sailor and was able to rescue some ordinary sets. The stream is missing the opening 20 minutes so it was difficult to gauge since the Magpies were largely on the back-foot.

Vaihu set up a great try off a kick return. Took on Baker down the left hand side, linked up with Quai-Ward who found Robinson in support in a sweet 70m passage. It should have got the Magpies back in the game, sadly Petterson-Robati lost it during the kick off set and immediately put the Magpies under pressure.

The Magpies made full use of the kick-off in the second half and were able to comeback from 22-4 to make it 22-all with Coburn scoring a great try. I really liked the work from Sailor here to help promote the ball the play before and backing up to create the extra number and give Quai-Ward the space to put Coburn through.

However it wasn't to be. The Magpies got through their set, but the kick-chase was weak and the Blackhawks worked it out of trouble easily. Laybutt then put up a bomb that split the winger and the centre, so Dotoi claimed it and went over easily to break the Magpies hearts.

Then they went back to back working the exact same set. Laybutt with another attacking bomb at Smith, spilled and Shibasaki eventually went over.

The game finished appropriately for Souths, with Sailor shaping up for a big spiral bomb, only for it to come off the side of his boot like a cross-field chip straight to the Blackhawks back who was happy to send it over the sideline.

Tom Chester had one of the all-time Cup performances for the Pride on the weekend -

27 runs
422 running metres
113 post-contact metres
20 tackle busts
2 tries
5 linebreaks
1 try assist
3 linebreak assists

Tom Chester had one of the all-time Cup performances for the Pride on the weekend -

27 runs
422 running metres
113 post-contact metres
20 tackle busts
2 tries
5 linebreaks
1 try assist
3 linebreak assists

I said before the Pride are just a joy to watch at the moment.

Eric Smith is doing amazing things. He's had a great Cup coaching record and just keeps performing.

He's now sitting on 35/44 Cup games as wins and looking pretty good for his second minor premiership in two seasons.

I thought Smoothy was OK before his injury. He combined well with Sailor and was able to rescue some ordinary sets. The stream is missing the opening 20 minutes so it was difficult to gauge since the Magpies were largely on the back-foot.

Vaihu set up a great try off a kick return. Took on Baker down the left hand side, linked up with Quai-Ward who found Robinson in support in a sweet 70m passage. It should have got the Magpies back in the game, sadly Petterson-Robati lost it during the kick off set and immediately put the Magpies under pressure.

The Magpies made full use of the kick-off in the second half and were able to comeback from 22-4 to make it 22-all with Coburn scoring a great try. I really liked the work from Sailor here to help promote the ball the play before and backing up to create the extra number and give Quai-Ward the space to put Coburn through.

However it wasn't to be. The Magpies got through their set, but the kick-chase was weak and the Blackhawks worked it out of trouble easily. Laybutt then put up a bomb that split the winger and the centre, so Dotoi claimed it and went over easily to break the Magpies hearts.

Then they went back to back working the exact same set. Laybutt with another attacking bomb at Smith, spilled and Shibasaki eventually went over.

The game finished appropriately for Souths, with Sailor shaping up for a big spiral bomb, only for it to come off the side of his boot like a cross-field chip straight to the Blackhawks back who was happy to send it over the sideline.

The one wrap for Souths I will give is Semu's defence. He tries so hard. It's hard to gauge his attack because it's Souths and they don't have the ball, but he works hard and covers and stops players.

Souths poor defence is just not stopping the other team- they don't miss tackles they just don't stop anyone.

I think Hunt needs to add a forward to his staff.

The one wrap for Souths I will give is Semu's defence. He tries so hard. It's hard to gauge his attack because it's Souths and they don't have the ball, but he works hard and covers and stops players.

Souths poor defence is just not stopping the other team- they don't miss tackles they just don't stop anyone.

I think Hunt needs to add a forward to his staff.
I can't say I noticed Semu's defence. The only moment that comes to mind was the lead-up to Laybutt's try when Tovo made half a break and Semu came into assist Tempest.

Which he should have done considering he's the one who put them under pressure with a bad knock on.

Otherwise the Magpies had all the ball during his second stint. His carries off the kick-off were strong and he did a good job of setting the tone but once Townsville were able to get through their sets, it was all over.

I noticed another Mal Meninga Cup player made a cameo yesterday in Dirhys Sefo. Does he have any NRL affiliation, or was Karmichael light on troops?

Bears go down by a point. That attack in the first 20 minutes was very unBears- just side to side and nothing out there even close to smart.

Unread

Active Now

• scobie
  • Morkel
  • Lurker
  • Jedhead
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.