2024 State of Origin discussion

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Origin looks like it's going to be rough this year...

- Reece looks busted, but will get picked
- Haas looks busted, but will get picked and will still be played for 65mins even though he's way behind what he normally does
- Patty is completely gassed and needs a break, but he'll probably play a shit ton of minutes
- Cobbo looks like he needs a break, but will probably have to make 18 runs and 200m because the rest of the Qld backline aren't workhorses

I think we'll have to play most of them for Sharks because it's at home, but for round 17 I'd just rest everyone... we're travelling to NZ against a team with no one fucking playing origin... hopefully Tristan and Arthars are back by that point so use the bye round to train under the assumption that no one is backing up and try to ambush them like last year.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Is that NSW team fair dinkum?
IMG 1598

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
- Suaalii at centre is interesting... feel he's been his best at wing
- Nicho getting selected under an injury cloud is a big risk with a completely new spine
- Jake starting 10 with Mcinness 13 ... meters will be interesting if Qld pick a big starting middle... Haas going to have to carry the middle
- Leniu will be interesting... I dont rate him that much, but NSWmen seem to love him. Only seems to play about 30mins a game so how's he going to go in origin. Especially with how small NSW seem to be in the middle.

That middle and the bench is probably the biggest one for me.

I wouldve had McInness off the bench after forwards are tired. Yeo and Leniu props off the bench... a lot of minutes in store for Haas unfortunately.

I wouldve though Haumole starting with Martin on the bench who can play both middle and edge equally well.

Hudson Young... not sure where he comes in when you have Angus, Martin and Haumole as second rowers already... wouldve thought Burton might be a better utility there.

No backup hooker at all is also interesting... I suppose it's McInness but he hasn't really played there since he went to Sharks... feel like they've just picked tackle bots for hooker with those selections

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
To me some of the selections are extremely strange. Reckon Barnett was clearly a better option over Leinu. Crazy that they’ve picked Luai when Cleary isn’t in the team. Suaalii makes me laugh. What a great reward for a bloke who is off to Union.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Reckon Barnett was clearly a better option over Leinu.
Possibly, I spose in McInness, Trbojevic and Yeo they already feel they have enough workhorses and just wanted pure through the guts impact.

Crazy that they’ve picked Luai when Cleary isn’t in the team.
As opposed to whom? Luai has shown he can perform without Cleary, I'd argue his best performances this season have been in Cleary's absence.
Suaalii makes me laugh. What a great reward for a bloke who is off to Union.
If they're talented enough, why does it matter? Unless I'm blanking on somebody it seemed like the position came down to Suaalii, Best and Burton. I would have gone Burton personally, but it's not like he's setting the world alight at the Bulldogs.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Possibly, I spose in McInness, Trbojevic and Yeo they already feel they have enough workhorses and just wanted pure through the guts impact.

As opposed to whom? Luai has shown he can perform without Cleary, I'd argue his best performances this season have been in Cleary's absence.

If they're talented enough, why does it matter? Unless I'm blanking on somebody it seemed like the position came down to Suaalii, Best and Burton. I would have gone Burton personally, but it's not like he's setting the world alight at the Bulldogs.
They’ll put a lot of pressure on themselves with a poor kicking game with Hynes and Luai running the show. Plus Robson isn’t known for kicking out of dummy half. I thought Burton was the selection as a running 6 with a good kicking game.

Latrell the obvious selection in the centres instead of Suaalii who always plays his best on the wing anyway.

their bench looks a bit lost I’d reckon. 4 forward but why?

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Doubt Edwards is as effective in Origin with the lack of roll on he gets at riff. Sualii is seriously overrated: he hasn't done too much in that red hot rorters backline. No Api is a relief as a QLD fan.

EDIT: Haas is going to get worked into the dirt with those NSW 'middles' my god.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Not too far off the team I mentioned a week or so ago

Edwards
To’o
Crichton
Staggs
Lomax
Burton
Hynes
Haas
Api
Jrbo
Angus C
Martin
Murray

Robson
Yeo
Leinu
Olakauatu

In retrospect, Luai has outperformed Burton pretty comfortably and McInnis will have a dig.

Not a crazy team selection given the amount of injuries. Pretty low quality team overall though

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
I'm glad Latrell and RCG aren't there. I think Suaalii will go well.

It's irrelevant now but man we would have a crazy advantage through the middle if Tino and Flegler were fit.

Unread

Active Now

• leon.bott
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Old Mate
  • Justwin
  • phoenix
  • Gympie devil
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.