2024 State of Origin discussion

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Irrespective of Dafifi in or not, the cockroaches have much better squad on paper and form.

We simply have to put on a monumental QLD performance to walk away with the win Wednesday week.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Wonder if Fifita missing out is a minutes thing, and having a back cover on the bench means Billy is trying to save an interchange somewhere for the middle?

Last year Fifita played 71 minutes in game 1, but that was when Gilbert was injured early. Games 2 and 3 he played only 49 and 33 minutes, while Nanai played 62 and 80. Maybe he thinks Nanai and Sua can go 80? That's the only way I can make sense of it.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Guys, Dafifi is not a player we can fight for. I get that “IF” he’s in the mood, he’s a real weapon like yesterday but sadly, I don’t know if he will have it in him every game especially on the back of yesterday’s performance.
If he continues week in week out, he’ll come into the QLD side.

For mine, I hate the bastard. He simply do not have ethics. Tits can have him for life and thus get fucked. Always look for easy ways and do not want to put in the hard yakka.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Best of luck to Su'A. He's done well to force his way into the team considering he wasn't included in the 30 Man squad at the pre-season. He'll have plenty of pressure to perform as well, personally I would have gone with either Fifita or Fermor ahead of him.

While it's fun to play arm-chair selector, as fans we put way too much stock in selections. It all comes down to the coach's vision, what he wants out of his team and whether the squad can execute it. It's rare that you see a coach pick a bad 17, usually it's just the one selection that beggers belief (eg. Tevita Pangai Jr 2023).

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Dude , quit while you are behind . You are just embarrassing yourself now . LOL !

Dude ,,,,
You are a master of reading comprehension according to yourself ? Yes ?

Well you have fcked up !
You said Keary
Dude , quit while you are behind . You are just embarrassing yourself now . LOL !
Apologies .
I thought we were talking #6s . When you included #7s including Cleary I speed read it as Keary . What Cleary , Reynolds and Moses have to do with playing #6 I`ll be fcked . But anyway Touche .

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Dude ,,,,
You are a master of reading comprehension according to yourself ? Yes ?

Well you have fcked up !
You said Keary

Apologies .
I thought we were talking #6s . When you included #7s including Cleary I speed read it as Keary . What Cleary , Reynolds and Moses have to do with playing #6 I`ll be fcked . But anyway Touche .

Pro tip for you - read properly before flying off your rocker and then you don't look like an idiot when you do so after speed reading.

B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
I like 1-17. Obviously the injuries to Tino, Flegler, Munster, Gilbert, Capewell and Papalli retirement hurt a bit. If there is a weakness for me it's size up front and across the team but the replacements are the best available.

I figured Fifita has been left out for reduced minutes or some other aspect Billy noticed wasn't where be be wanted it to be. Billy's prerogative.

Love the Cobbo on the bench selection. We lacked a bench option to cover backs and second row without Capewell and this is solves that.

Like Madge's selections. Especially Edwards. He cleans up at the back so well. Like the yardage in their outside backs. All of them make metres well. We lack that a bit in our back 5 who are more about speed.

Will be a good game.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
You know your team is strong when you have Cobbo relegated to the bench. Genius selection, in my opinion.

Cobbo is the new Capewell.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
To be honest, I'm not really fussed at Fifita not being picked. Its not like he has ever dominated a SOO game at all. He absolutely dominates club games but that's cause he can pick out the shit players and run over them. You don't have that luxury in Origin as the competition really evens itself out very quickly. I think Slaters really going for workhorse team not a flash team in the forwards. But the Cobbo bench selection is a real head scratcher.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I'm intrigued by the Cobbo selection and what Billy plans to do with him tbh. I'm still concerned because of the possible extra defensive workload if he comes on as some sort of hybrid forward, but definitely intrigued.

It will either be a master stroke or a massive fail I think

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I'm intrigued by the Cobbo selection and what Billy plans to do with him tbh. I'm still concerned because of the possible extra defensive workload if he comes on as some sort of hybrid forward, but definitely intrigued.

It will either be a master stroke or a massive fail I think
I'm excited to see Cobbo in the role that Billy could have for him... he could be a revelation coming off the bench.

I'm guessing he'll come on as a roaming second fullback pushing up through the middle, chasing and competing on bombs down the middle, etc.

I'm thinking Billy will be looking to play him as his version of Turbo from the 2021 series and I'm excited to see Billy's take on a second fullback, because I'm sure he's been thinking about how to implement one in modern rugby league.

We've got Patty and Hopgood who can ball play and handle themselves at prop, so Cobbo will just be there as the 'lock' pushing up through the middle when they're fatigued. He's physical enough that he can cause damage in attack and defence out there.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Loving the whole Edwards over Teddy stuff tbh. NSW at each others throats already and it's glorious. Will be hilarious if it turns out to be a Boyd over Slater situation...can't see it though.

B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
To be honest, I'm not really fussed at Fifita not being picked. Its not like he has ever dominated a SOO game at all. He absolutely dominates club games but that's cause he can pick out the shit players and run over them. You don't have that luxury in Origin as the competition really evens itself out very quickly. I think Slaters really going for workhorse team not a flash team in the forwards. But the Cobbo bench selection is a real head scratcher.
We have to have a player that can cover an outside back injury and play in the forwards if necessary. With Capewell out he is the best and only real option

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Bill is meticulously prepared; there is no chance he doesn’t have a plan for Cobbo. The fact he said 4/6 previous Origins we’ve had to replace a back shows he’s thought about it.
That’s true but we’ve one the last 2 series even with that happening. It’s certainly an interesting selection and one I wasn’t keen on. I’ll trust Billy and watch keenly with how this goes. Cobbo is so versatile he can even run in the middle because of his size.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
That’s true but we’ve one the last 2 series even with that happening. It’s certainly an interesting selection and one I wasn’t keen on. I’ll trust Billy and watch keenly with how this goes. Cobbo is so versatile he can even run in the middle because of his size.
I think Selwyn played just about 40mins in the middle last year against the dogs in Belmore. Mariner was subbed into wing off the bench and we had no forwards left so Cobbo was moved to the middle.

He definitely held his own in the middle that day so I've got no real concerns about him popping up in the middle... origin is a different beast, but I don't think he'll be required to play 40mins in the middle, but 20-25mins stint from Selwyn could cause some havoc out there.

I'm hoping we don't get injuries in the outside backs because I want to see how Billy uses him in the middle.

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.