2024 State of Origin discussion

FACTHUNT

FACTHUNT

QCup Player
May 25, 2021
Queensland is the pinnacle for Queensland players. I haven't met one yet who would put anything else football before playing for their state. I just can't see that changing tbh.
That’s true. I just wish it could be moved to post season so that it doesn’t destroy teams mid year. Obviously the ratings are affected but I loved the 2020 series so much

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
Capewell can play centre which solves a lot of problems if any of the back 5 go down. QLD won a series with him at centre and he came on at centre in the '22 decider when Cobbo got knocked out.

He also provides coverage in the forwards.
That was few years back since he played there and was a liability. He barely plays for nz and has been that good.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
That was few years back since he played there and was a liability. He barely plays for nz and has been that good.

He wasn't as big of a liability as people have made out.

I think Slater has earned a bit of trust with his selections. How many times have we seen players come into the QLD squad and suddenly put in a big performance?

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
He wasn't as big of a liability as people have made out.

I think Slater has earned a bit of trust with his selections. How many times have we seen players come into the QLD squad and suddenly put in a big performance?
He was scorched many times when NSW won 76-6 after game one and two in 21.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Capewell can play centre which solves a lot of problems if any of the back 5 go down. QLD won a series with him at centre and he came on at centre in the '22 decider when Cobbo got knocked out.

He also provides coverage in the forwards.
‘22 for Capewell was a lifetime ago.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah but I think that may change because the fans get frustrated with the injuries, suspension s, unavailability etc disrupting the season for their clubs. I can honestly see the NRL making a change to this in the near future.

They wont care what the fans think because its such a juggernaut where it is right now. Its going to have to come from the clubs.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Has to be more to the Cobbo non selection doesn’t there?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
That bench worries me a lot.

Felise and Capewell instead of Hopgood and Cobbo.

I think we lose a lot from our bench this time around... Hopgood didn't do anything outstanding in Game 1, but he has been elite in NRL land as a ball player and workhorse, so I can see him developing and improving with every origin game he plays.

I'm not sure Capewell can cover the backs anywhere close to what Cobbo can either....he could previously do a job there, but I'm not so sure nowadays... so in both scenarios I think we're now weaker.

Hopgood has an injury to his back. Billy has shown he doesn't pick players carrying something even if they might be ok game day.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Hopgood has an injury to his back. Billy has shown he doesn't pick players carrying something even if they might be ok game day.
Yeah was aware that he's picked up an injury... was more about the drop off to the bench without him there, not that Billy has dropped him or anything

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Not caring that much ... he'll now be available for our away game to NZ... much needed from our end
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not that worried about it but I do wonder what the message is and what is actually going on.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Not caring that much ... he'll now be available for our away game to NZ... much needed from our end
Interesting you say not caring too much because I reckon that might have something to do with his omission.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
He was scorched many times when NSW won 76-6 after game one and two in 21.

So was every other player that's currently in the side and played then.

The whole team were complete shit.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
‘22 for Capewell was a lifetime ago.
I just can’t see how they can justify going the 2024 version of Capewell, who has been either injured or playing limited mins with close to no impact, over Fifita in an impact role off the bench. God help us if he actually needs to fill in for a back in his current state.

Edit: hopefully Billy does bring Gagai onto the bench as previously suggested itt

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Browny
  • Bronx48
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Strop
  • Nerd
  • BroncosAlways
  • Volvo Driver
  • Foordy
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Midean
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Galah
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Aldo
  • BruiserMk1
... and 42 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.