2024 State of Origin discussion

I'm just not sure how Fifita isn't there. He could cover middle for short stints and can break the game open on the edge. And he's miles ahead of Capes and Kaufusi...
Perplexing

Probably not so perplexing.

Fifita is better than both of them, but they both have a better work ethic than Fifita. One thing Capewell and Kaufusi have in common is that they will work hard off the ball, as well. Fifita has a tendency to not do that.

That's always been Fifita's biggest flaw, his work ethic. That's improved a bit this year but still needs more work. Slater has seen something he doesn't like.

Ponga is an interesting selection. Wonder if Billy is running out of patience with walsh.
Why would he be.

He was very good in his first two origins last year ... Then got cheap shot out of the game in his 3rd origin.

In his 4th game, our pack was completely dominated and we were on the back foot all game. Being a former fullback I have no doubt Billy knows that you can't judge a fullback under those circumstances.

Besides there was speculation before game one that Billy planned to select both Walsh and Ponga, but then Ponga got injured

I just don't get Capewell > Fifita.

I understand why NOT picking Fifita originally, but to select Capewell > Fifita doesn't make sense to me ... especially since he kept Kafusi as well.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully Capewell goes out and has a blinder!

Ponga is an interesting selection. Wonder if Billy is running out of patience with walsh.

Patience??

....whats he had
1 game that he's lasted the distance before being rubbed out of the game?

Patience??

....whats he had
Exactly. With Walsh's popularity among fans I bet QLD will be forced to pick him as the FB every year. Given this is an exhibition he will bring alot more viewers than Ponga.

Why would he be.

He was very good in his first two origins last year ... Then got cheap shot out of the game in his 3rd origin.

In his 4th game, our pack was completely dominated and we were on the back foot all game. Being a former fullback I have no doubt Billy knows that you can't judge a fullback under those circumstances.

Besides there was speculation before game one that Billy planned to select both Walsh and Ponga, but then Ponga got injured
Not to mention that his 4th game was on the back of 7mins of footy in over a month and also on the back of a disrupted season to date.

Reece has not had consistent footy this year, especially compared to last year's series... between rounds 12 to 20, for the origin period, he will have played more origin games than NRL games and that assumes he backs up in Rd 20, which I think he will.

Outside the Capewell choice It's not bad.

That said if Billy was fine to not have Holmes for Goal kicking stocks I don't know why Cobbo didn't replace him the whole series.

Patience??

....whats he had
Sua had a poor game 2 and has been dropped. I have a feeling slater isn’t going to adhere to the pick and stick mentality of past series’. If walsh is having a poor game he will get hooked for Ponga.

I will give Billy this. I have watched all his pressers this year and this one he was much more relaxed and succinct in his points. Not just rambling like a politician with cliches galore. Didn't get rattled at all.

Sua had a poor game 2 and has been dropped. I have a feeling slater isn’t going to adhere to the pick and stick mentality of past series’. If walsh is having a poor game he will get hooked for Ponga.

I get that you want Walsh back for the Broncos, but don't get your hopes up, he won't get hooked or dropped anytime soon.

In fact the only way Walsh will not play Origin is injury or suspension

I get that you want Walsh back for the Broncos, but don't get your hopes up, he won't get hooked or dropped anytime soon.

I feel like Ponga is just more well rounded at this stage of Walsh’s career. More calm and better defensively which is more suited for origin. Ponga is definitely not at his peak this season though.

I feel like Ponga is just more well rounded at this stage of Walsh’s career. More calm and better defensively which is more suited for origin. Ponga is definitely not at his peak this season though.
What about if Walsh has mental issues like Cobbo?

For mine Fifita’s omission is all character based. Clearly Billy or someone in the selection room has questions about his character because based on our forward depth and his footy alone he should be in there.

TBF in his relatively short career so far he has displayed plenty of character concerns so you can’t blame them.

This. Sadly, you’re right. He’s young, exciting and gets the kids into the game. He could be absolutely poo and QLD selectors would still be forced to pick him.

On the Piakura into to the extended squad?! I love it! He gets to hang out with the best, learn watch and most importantly, see how they train (effort etc). Then he gets to play against St George, is that correct?

For mine Fifita’s omission is all character based. Clearly Billy or someone in the selection room has questions about his character because based on our forward depth and his footy alone he should be in there.

TBF in his relatively short career so far he has displayed plenty of character concerns so you can’t blame them.
💯 this. Billy doesn’t seem like a bloke who would want to put up with shit. He was also a very hard worker a d trainer from what I heard. The reality is, Fifita is like an upgraded TPJ. Game breaker, weapon and could easily be one of the best ever.
But….
Is also a silly, lazy, fade in and out of games c*nt. Why would you want a bloke like that in your team?
Would you rather a Cotter/Patty type of player or Fifi/TPJ? Exactly.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • bb_gun
  • Browny
  • Tmac
  • DrGee
  • Bronx48
  • Foordy
  • Redfern_1980
  • theshed
  • Gaz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
  • Dash
  • ostin86
  • GCBRONCO
  • Elcapitano20
  • Big Del
  • Justwin
  • The True King
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.