2024 State of Origin - Game II Discussion

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Hard to do anything behind a forward pack that’s being bashed.

The impact a half has on a game is reliant on the platform the forwards lay and if they’re not making metres and getting slow PTB’s because the ref is letting the defence get away with murder, what the **** are they going to do? They don’t have any time or any momentum to work with.
Jock Madden understands

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I wouldnt even say our forwards were smashed as such. The start to the game, thanks to Klein's Lockyer levels of game management, put us well on the back foot and fatigue was set in early. We simply just couldnt recover enough from that to get a foothold in that first half. If we got refereed in the same manner, we would have been on top and they would have been struggling.

Thats not saying our forwards couldnt have done better, i think they could, but when only one of them really stood up to be counted it was always going to be difficult. I still think they would have got the better of us in the first half the way it got reffed, but i dont think if we had Tino, Flegler and Gilbert in there it would have been as easy for NSW because all three have a lot more physicality.

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
Talk about square up Qld 9-1 penalties second half.
QLD spine
Walsh
Hunt
Evans
Mahoney
14: Grant

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Ive never seen a worse attitude on a winning side in my life.
Zero class.
Going to make their next loss enjoyable.

But still, **** Vlandys.
I cannot believe how hard this game is manufactured these days.

Vlandys spent a small fortune on the Vegas experiment and needs to cover his losses.
What better way than forcing a decider.

Its a terrible look for the game and what tiny shred of integrity it had left.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
The game was won and lost in the ruck, simples.
NSW started so quickly and Klein played his part, not so much with what he called but what he didn't call.
NSW challenged him to penalise them in the ruck and he just let them do what they wanted.
Constantly hanging on, shoulder charges, taking Walsh off the ball every chance, the list goes on with what he let go but apparently they were perfect for 30 mins.

NSW adopted Penrith style defence, late 3rd man flops, last man in last man off. It's been Penriths super power for 4 years yet no ref is prepared to call it. They're very good at it but certainly get it wrong a lot and rarely get pinched for it.

We were shot after 30 mins when we recieved our first penalty, it's almost impossible to come back from that start but we actually made a decent effort. Tualagi made some horrible efforts and reads, not sure what he was doing on Edwards try. He was behind the try line when Edwards got the ball about 12 mtrs out , that was the end of any comeback, and the try before half time was atrocious defence.
The blow up should have been put on much earlier (20min mark) it would have put Klein on notice to police the ruck or lose control. We were far to passive in this regard.
Lewis was an expert at reading when to do it and last night we needed something to change because Klein wasn't going to give us a thing.

Still I think Billy will have seen plenty to like. The chase on Chriton from the intercept before HT was exceptional with 6 or 7 chasers showed the effort was there even at 28 nil.
The rush D from NSW can certainly be exploited, we just didn't have enough ball/field position to be kicking it away last night.
I think NSW can easily be distracted with some decent niggle as well.

Not sure why Dearden copped a flaming, I thought he was pretty good considering.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
We need more origin aggression! They take a player off the ball, smash em! They niggle you, punch them in the face! It doesn't matter who starts it, if it turns into a brawl the ref will send 1 player off from each team anyway.

Fights also slow down the game, and allow us to rest between 6 agains.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Just catching 360 from tonight, boy oh boy.

As predicted, Bwaiff, Hoops and Buzz all agreeing Qld can't say anything about refs because they won the penalty count.

Completely irrelevant that end stat to anyone with a double digit IQ that watched that game.

Perfectly executed plan by the Vlando, Klein and the NRL and now the media tows the line.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The shit talk from NSW fans has been laughable.

They win one game and suddenly Slater is a fraud that's been exposed and they finally have a coach that knows how to win.

It's like they forgot '22 when NSW put over 40 points on QLD in Game 2. We all know what happened after that.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
We need more origin aggression! They take a player off the ball, smash em! They niggle you, punch them in the face! It doesn't matter who starts it, if it turns into a brawl the ref will send 1 player off from each team anyway.

They pull a knife, you pull a gun. They send one of your men to the hospital , you send one of theirs to the morgue! That's the Queensland way!

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Qld will probably go:

1. Walsh
2. Taulagi
3. Hammer (Gagai if Hammer is out)
4. Cobbo
5. Holmes
6. Mam
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Collins
9. Hunt
10. Jensen
11. Kaufusi
12. Nanai
13. Carrigan

14. Dearden
15. Cotter
16. Fotuaika
17. Fifita

Just a hunch.

I will be very surprised if Dearden gets dropped and replaced by Ezra .
For a team that got 40 put on them I don`t think Ezra is the remedy . Liam Martin would be salivating like one of Pavlov`s dogs .

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
“To be honest, man, I don't think Queensland wanted to run shape at our side,” Luai.
I hope we run at this prick all night Game Three.
Watching live I was kinda thinking the same thing tbh. Couple of shifts out Latrell's way the ball hit the ground because I don't think anyone really wanted it.

Hopefully there's more comments like this one though.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
“To be honest, man, I don't think Queensland wanted to run shape at our side,” Luai.
I hope we run at this prick all night Game Three.
The one time we went there, we dragged that **** over the line to score.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
To be fair, at least the NSW penalties were mostly head highs and just down right grubbery. The initial 6 agains and penalties in the first 20 were just phantom calls.
I couldn't tell you what a single 6 again was for in the first 10 minutes.
Watched and re-watched could not identify a reason for any of them.

I don't think I would mind 6 again so much if the reason was immediately announced and there was accountability for when they are called wrong.

Any sport that has rules that require no explanation or have any accountability is a huge red flag for game management and match fixing.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I wanna know what Murray Taulagi brings to the footy side.

He's by no means a scapegoat or the reason we lost, I was just watching the game and thinking to myself, what has this guy ever done to be a deadset shoe in for the QLD team.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Qld will probably go:

1. Walsh
2. Taulagi
3. Hammer (Gagai if Hammer is out)
4. Cobbo
5. Holmes
6. Mam
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Collins
9. Hunt
10. Jensen
11. Kaufusi
12. Nanai
13. Carrigan

14. Dearden
15. Cotter
16. Fotuaika
17. Fifita

Just a hunch.
No way in hell Billy drops Grant and Coates. And what the **** has Kaufusi done to get a spot on the run on team. He shouldn't be anywhere near the QLD side.

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • The Strapper
  • sooticus
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • broncoscope
  • Big Del
  • MrTickyMcG
  • thenry
  • FACTHUNT
  • Old Mate
  • Lurker
  • ostin86
  • Redfern_1980
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.