2025 Coaching Staff

Havent had chance to read the article yet, but apparently Matt Ballin could be moving on as well.

it's your typical Badel article. says that Ballin "could be" in the sights of rivals.

goes on to say that:

"Speculation sweeping league circles suggested Ballin was close to inking a deal to work with Des Hasler at the Titans, but Gold Coast bosses insist no approach has been made to the former Manly hooker."

it's your typical Badel article. says that Ballin "could be" in the sights of rivals.

goes on to say that:

"Speculation sweeping league circles suggested Ballin was close to inking a deal to work with Des Hasler at the Titans, but Gold Coast bosses insist no approach has been made to the former Manly hooker."

It would make sense given his previous relationship with Hasler.

Havent had chance to read the article yet, but apparently Matt Ballin could be moving on as well.
So we're basically going from 2mins away from a premiership to bordering on a rebuild in less than 12 months.

Entire coaching staff bar the head coach to be replaced... meaning potentially new attacking and defensive structures

4 players lost from the GF squad and replaced with inexperienced kids

Our most important player and halfback will be retired within 18 months

Depth looking like it needs an overhaul with Pereira retired, Marty told to look elsewhere, Paix told to look elsewhere, Sailor likely to be looking for a release and Oates looking well past it. Hoeter off contract but coming back from an ACL. Is this even adequate depth anyway??

Outside of the Top 17 the only ones definitely returning would be below, but that doesn't even include Karapani who is apparently off contract end of this year... so whilst the Top 17 is settled (really it's the top 16 that's settled) it would seem a whole lot of things around them is up in the air... what exactly have the R&R department been doing since Ezra re-signed in February...

Depth contracted and likely to be here next year:
- Fletcher Baker
- Ben Te Kura
- Jaiyden Hunt
- Jack Gosiewski
- Jock Madden
- Blake Mozer

Whilst the coach should be able to choose his assistants, there is always the danger that the ones chosen pose no threat to the head coach.
And thats exactly what has transpired the last couple of years. All the ones assisting Kev are his pickings and the club stood by those decisions.

Its about time DD focus on support staff recruitment seriously. I do not know what goes on behind the walls, but it seems like theres no hard nosed person in that current coaching team who demands things. I may be totally wrong but I want Kev to be supported very well especially in strength & conditioning.

I dont necessarily want to see us just go back to Kearney.

Yes he was here for 2015, but that was full on bend before you break mentality anyway. We were still conceding big meters during 2015 and doing a lot of scrambling.

Going back to him would be a similar mentality where we have to keep going back to the past instead of being able to move this team forward with new ideas and new people.

I dont even know what Kearney has been up to recently... is he still in the game?? Cant recall if I've seen him in a coaches box recently or not...

The game has changed in the six again era though so he would need to be keeping up with trends in the current game.

I dont necessarily want to see us just go back to Kearney.

Yes he was here for 2015, but that was full on bend before you break mentality anyway. We were still conceding big meters during 2015 and doing a lot of scrambling.

Going back to him would be a similar mentality where we have to keep going back to the past instead of being able to move this team forward with new ideas and new people.

I dont even know what Kearney has been up to recently... is he still in the game?? Cant recall if I've seen him in a coaches box recently or not...

The game has changed in the six again era though so he would need to be keeping up with trends in the current game.
Agree. No thanks to Kearney.
No need to revisit the past. Next.
Hannay and Thorn are good shouts though!

And bring in Kearney as well.
DD should make a point & give them complete control.

DD will never, nor should he ever hand control to an assistant coach.

It's just plain stupid to do that

If you want the panthers defensive coach then we need to completely overhaul our backline to match what they do. Penrith's backline do an absolute mountain of work returning it out of their own end to give their big boopers time to recover and focus mainly in defence and to mirror that we would need 3-4 backs that are capable of producing 150+ metres every week no exception. At the moment, we have maybe one or two that are capable of doing it but dont do it all the time.

If you want the panthers defensive coach then we need to completely overhaul our backline to match what they do. Penrith's backline do an absolute mountain of work returning it out of their own end to give their big boopers time to recover and focus mainly in defence and to mirror that we would need 3-4 backs that are capable of producing 150+ metres every week no exception. At the moment, we have maybe one or two that are capable of doing it but dont do it all the time.
Images   2024 07 08T163736613

Penrith backline overhauling program inititated

Losing the assistants presents an opportunity for us to go and head hunt.

We also need a good money baller - Penrith have this and seem to get this right more often than not as well. So many of the squad players they sign are ones I'm like yep, I would have loved to get him - guys like Hosking, Alamoti, Schneider, Eisenhuth, Laurie. Ready to plug and play players.

Penrith's system is a thing of beauty to behold and how they identify their talent.

They call it built from within and that's their pedagogy and curriculum for coaching/teaching players.

Ivan has articulated what a Panther NRL player does- passes, kicks, steps, runs, walks, drinks and eats like.

Wallace, Hopkins and Gardiner have the same expectations for the Matts team as the NRL team- (they know a Matts kid won't be able to do it but the expectation is the same.) If the NRL team have to run it in 3 minutes, the U17 have to run it in 3 minutes.

So you have the NRL assistants working with the U17 doing the exact same thing as the NRL team with the exact same staff.

It all is in alignment and there is no budging from that- no I coach like this- great go do it somewhere else.

Hopkins is outstanding in making sure every program lines up with the NRL team.

Penrith's system is a thing of beauty to behold and how they identify their talent.

They call it built from within and that's their pedagogy and curriculum for coaching/teaching players.

Ivan has articulated what a Panther NRL player does- passes, kicks, steps, runs, walks, drinks and eats like.

Wallace, Hopkins and Gardiner have the same expectations for the Matts team as the NRL team- (they know a Matts kid won't be able to do it but the expectation is the same.) If the NRL team have to run it in 3 minutes, the U17 have to run it in 3 minutes.

So you have the NRL assistants working with the U17 doing the exact same thing as the NRL team with the exact same staff.

It all is in alignment and there is no budging from that- no I coach like this- great go do it somewhere else.

Hopkins is outstanding in making sure every program lines up with the NRL team.
Do the Broncos need to field a lower grade team then? Seems that this would be a positive and neccessary step to achieve this?

Do the Broncos need to field a lower grade team then? Seems that this would be a positive and neccessary step to achieve this?

No, the Storm have the same model as the Broncos and they have had success.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • heartly87
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.