22/23 Off season - what must be done?

He's not an assistant coach.. I'm pretty sure he's the team manager... which I think is basically the guy that does all the logistics.

We're heading to St George for an away game, he organises where we're staying, when we leave, flights, busses, food, etc.

If the players or coaches want something it's basically his job to get it for them
And of course he got the job on merit. I can only imagine he's a logistics whizz.

I'd be talking to Melbourne about loaning them Haas and Niu for Munster for the year. When their contracts are up nobody loses a year of accommodating them. And if Haas still wants to leave let him.

Still not sure what to do about the 9. Maybe something weird like give Carrigan the #9 jersey and have the lock as the dummy half instead of the hooker? (Then the dummy halves would be in jersey's 13 & 14)

Crypto Lol GIF by Gateio

Football admin manager is Walters' title and he doesn't do it for Queensland anymore- but did it for 20 years.
He could use an assistant. Maybe a good job for Billy rather than extending him.

I'd be talking to Melbourne about loaning them Haas and Niu for Munster for the year. When their contracts are up nobody loses a year of accommodating them. And if Haas still wants to leave let him.

Still not sure what to do about the 9. Maybe something weird like give Carrigan the #9 jersey and have the lock as the dummy half instead of the hooker? (Then the dummy halves would be in jersey's 13 & 14)
I don't know how to appropriately respond to this.

I'm so confused. Are we just solving the "lack of a good 9" problem by putting a good player in that jumper regardless of position, thereby making our new issue "lack of a good 13"? 😵

The big issues of coaching aside, and the total lack of a first grade hooker, there are some other big concerns still present that I think partly explain our season.

50 games is roughly the amount of experience players require to start being consistent first graders - we saw Patty hit that mark and reach new levels as an example. Similar with Herbie.

However, 100+ games is when you start to see players reach their peaks. Battlers like Shaun Lane(142) and Joe O (150) are having the best seasons of their careers since reaching 100-150+ games. Gun young players start being in the ‘best players in the comp’ discussions around this mark a la Joey Manu(136), Cam Murray(115), Nathan Cleary(134), and Latrell Mitchell(140) as examples.

2020 we all agreed the team was too young and inexperienced - too many debutants. Now most those young players are hitting the 50+ mark and are starting to become stabilised first graders -eg Staggs, Patty, Haas, Riki, Herbie, etc.

The issue is, imo, we brought in Capewell and Reyno who are highly experienced but their is a real lack of players in that 100-150 game mark in our team. I think we won’t see consistency unless we a) sign players in this bracket or b) persist with the current guys for another 2 seasons.

Below is the amount of games played by the most likely starting 17 next season (this is just an example, don’t bother arguing team lists please):

1. Walsh (37)
2. Oates (191)
3. Farnworth (53)
4. Staggs (73)
5. Cobbo (24)
6. Mam (13)
7. Reynolds (250)
8. Jensen (76)
9. Walters (34)
10. Haas (80)
11. Capewell (114)
12. Riki (45)
13. Carrigan (59)

14. Paix (29)
15. Flegler (73)
16. Hetherington (36)
17. Palasia (34)

average: 71.8 games

I think we need to sign a minimum 100+ game hooker and 100-150+ game prop (who isn’t past it), if we want more consistency next year. I would be moving Haas and doing all I could to get experience in those 2 positions.

Examples would be
Prop:
Jo Tapine(159) off contract 2023
Jai Arrow(125) off contract 2024
Jordan McLean(176) available now

Hooker:
Ben Hunt (288) off contract 2023
Damien Cook (165) off contract 2023
…that’s pretty much it.

I know McLean has been mostly a bust for North Queensland but he’s back in decent form and has the experience our team is lacking - and he’s available now. It would be great to grab him rather than guys like the James, and Teo’s we tend to go for. Tapine is a pipe dream, as is probably Hunt and Cook, so we’ll likely need to grab a less experienced hooker. But the below is a much better balanced side:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6: Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9: Hunt
10. Flegler
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. McLean
15. Hetherington
16. Palasia
17. Piakura / Willison

Reckon south’s would take haas (throw Riki and Niu in as a sweetener if need be) for cook?

Edit: or the dragons for hunt or any other club with an above average hooker. If we don’t bring in a hooker next year there’s no point getting excited about the club.
If trades were allowed, this would be the dumbest swap in the history of sport. Three young guys, one of them being the best in his position in exchange for a hooker who is past his prime. The GM who might have orchestrated this trade (no one ever would) would be tarred and feathered and run out of the state. Thankfully, you were only joking around.

The big issues of coaching aside, and the total lack of a first grade hooker, there are some other big concerns still present that I think partly explain our season.

50 games is roughly the amount of experience players require to start being consistent first graders - we saw Patty hit that mark and reach new levels as an example. Similar with Herbie.

However, 100+ games is when you start to see players reach their peaks. Battlers like Shaun Lane(142) and Joe O (150) are having the best seasons of their careers since reaching 100-150+ games. Gun young players start being in the ‘best players in the comp’ discussions around this mark a la Joey Manu(136), Cam Murray(115), Nathan Cleary(134), and Latrell Mitchell(140) as examples.

2020 we all agreed the team was too young and inexperienced - too many debutants. Now most those young players are hitting the 50+ mark and are starting to become stabilised first graders -eg Staggs, Patty, Haas, Riki, Herbie, etc.

The issue is, imo, we brought in Capewell and Reyno who are highly experienced but their is a real lack of players in that 100-150 game mark in our team. I think we won’t see consistency unless we a) sign players in this bracket or b) persist with the current guys for another 2 seasons.

Below is the amount of games played by the most likely starting 17 next season (this is just an example, don’t bother arguing team lists please):

1. Walsh (37)
2. Oates (191)
3. Farnworth (53)
4. Staggs (73)
5. Cobbo (24)
6. Mam (13)
7. Reynolds (250)
8. Jensen (76)
9. Walters (34)
10. Haas (80)
11. Capewell (114)
12. Riki (45)
13. Carrigan (59)

14. Paix (29)
15. Flegler (73)
16. Hetherington (36)
17. Palasia (34)

I think we need to sign a minimum 100+ game hooker and 100-150+ game prop (who isn’t past it), if we want more consistency next year. I would be moving Haas and doing all I could to get experience in those 2 positions.

Examples would be
Prop:

Hooker:
…that’s pretty much it.

I know McLean has been mostly a bust for North Queensland but he’s back in decent form and has the experience our team is lacking - and he’s available now. It would be great to grab him rather than guys like the James, and Teo’s we tend to go for. Tapine is a pipe dream, as is probably Hunt and Cook, so we’ll likely need to grab a less experienced hooker. But the below is a much better balanced side:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
10. Flegler
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. McLean
15. Hetherington
16. Palasia
17. Piakura / Willison
I think you're spot on ... the team still feels inexperienced, because they haven't been successful and remain extremely inconsistent.

We're starting to see consistency in Patty, Haas, Herbie, etc. at which point you know what you're getting week in, week out, but a lot of inconsistency remains:
- Staggs still hasn't figured out his game,
- Cobbo is up and down
- Kobe hasn't figured out his place
- Flegs is showing signs of consistency, but can he take that next step and become a consistent forward leader
- Riki is getting better defensively, but his attack has fallen off a cliff (i.e. still figuring out the right balance in his game)
- Mam is raw and his responsibilities in the team are reduced so as to not overburden him
- Hooker is a shit show
- Fullback is a worry... Reece looks tactically aware, but lacks physicality. We know this can be improved, because Paps is a tiny fullback but still decent defensively

I like the idea of McLean, but this has literally been his best year since leaving Melbourne... I also think he'd be a hard get without having to overpay to get him here, in either cap space or contract years.

He's been in Nth Qld for awhile now and could stay there on a reduced deal given their success this year OR he could head back to NSW and find a gig with one of the Sydney teams to finish off his career.

Those options could look more appealing compared to heading to Brisbane, unless we make it worthwhile through money, and that's a risk given what he's dished up on a big contract at the cows for the last 5 or so years

1. Walsh (37)
2. Oates (191)
3. Farnworth (53)
4. Staggs (73)
5. Cobbo (24)
6. Mam (13)
7. Reynolds (250)
8. Jensen (76)
9. Walters (34)
10. Haas (80)
11. Capewell (114)
12. Riki (45)
13. Carrigan (59)

14. Paix (29)
15. Flegler (73)
16. Hetherington (36)
17. Palasia (34)

Examples would be
Prop:

Hooker:
…that’s pretty much it.

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
10. Flegler
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. McLean
15. Hetherington
16. Palasia
17. Piakura / Willison
I think we need an 80 minute hooker (to play 60 minutes) and a slippery utility who can bring some spark off the bench, rather than two 40 minute plodders, who can do a barely passable job at half or hooker.

I think we need an 80 minute hooker (to play 60 minutes) and a slippery utility who can bring some spark off the bench, rather than two 40 minute plodders, who can do a barely passable job at half or hooker.
I think Paix is fine for 20 minutes but yeah Billy playing all but 1 game is criminal. If the club are seriously considering Billy as a top 17 player next season than things are worse than I realised

It's almost at the point where you could go back to a Danny Levi and offer him a 3yr deal.

He's mid 20's and has played 80mins at hooker in NRL, provides spark around dummy half, and he's not a superstar that would make transitioning to Mozer a difficult task in the future.

It would probably mean Paix is not retained beyond next year, or they somehow talk him into a 1yr extension, but ultimately it could end up seeing Mozer fast tracked into NRL... and hopefully he's a success if it comes to that.

I think Paix is fine for 20 minutes but yeah Billy playing all but 1 game is criminal. If the club are seriously considering Billy as a top 17 player next season than things are worse than I realised
The thinking with Walters may be that he hits the 50 game mark at roughly the same time Walsh does? (injuries not withstanding)

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • Old Mate
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • simplythebest
  • Fitzy
  • The Don
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncorob
  • Big Del
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Skathen
  • Justwin
  • Strop
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.