5 New Immortals Named - Not Darren Lockyer

I just heard that there is a 3 strike policy for the immortals... so this was effectively Mal and Norms last chance at getting in.

So definitely understandable they were inducted given they're both excellent candidates.

Given this new info, I think Lockyer is an excellent chance to be the next inductee.

Since the likes of Ron Coote and Ken Irvine are now ineligible (3 strike policy)

Also since Thurston, Smith, Inglis, Slater etc ... will not be eligible (Not retired long enough or in hall of fame)

Last edited:
I do know what you’re saying, but Inglis went missing for a long period of time and didn’t live up to his potential. Mal didn’t. He consistently dominated every arena and was an incredible goal-kicker. I don’t think the two are comparable really, though I do agree that Inglis had the higher ceiling, but I believe he squandered for a long period of time.

He was also the catalyst for Souths first premiership in yonks - they would not have done that without Inglis. Inglis is the highest try scorer in origin, where he absolutely dominated. It's a bit harsh to say he didn't live up to his potential, he peaked several times throughout his career. At Storm he was unstoppable, at QLD he was unstoppable, for a number of years for Aus he was unstoppable and had maybe his best years at Souths between 2012-2015. You can look at what he didn't do, and what talent he did squander, but what he did do was pretty damn impressive. The best center to play the game imo.

I disagree. I think he takes and is given more credit than he deserves in those team.

Even at QLD and Aus level? Admittedly not shit teams but he was often the best player, even with all those superstars.

Even at QLD and Aus level? Admittedly not shit teams but he was often the best player, even with all those superstars.

I don't deny Thurston the credit he is due for. I think he's one of the greats of the game. I just don't think he's immortal great. I also think this year takes a gaint amount of shine off it. Playing on when you're absolutely and utterly busted isn't putting your team first IMO.

I don't deny Thurston the credit he is due for. I think he's one of the greats of the game. I just don't think he's immortal great. I also think this year takes a gaint amount of shine off it. Playing on when you're absolutely and utterly busted isn't putting your team first IMO.

Maybe Morgan's injury factored into it. If the Cows had won the GF, maybe he would have retired. He actually hasn't been too bad this year, perhaps over played his hand. I guess it comes down to what you consider Immortal material. I think he fits the bill. On par with Johns in terms of raw talent, and beyond him in terms of accomplishments. Zero chance QLD win 8 straight without him.

Locky is the only player that I have heard Gould refer to as the rugby league God :)

I know Gould is a bit of an annoying twit, but he's right on this one

According to some Fittler, Sterling and numerous others were far better than Lockyer.....take a guess where I visited today?

We talk about Walters never getting a look in, but what about Lazarus? Arguably the best forward of all time with an amazing record. An absolute machine on the field with an air of greatness about him.

I personally think Mal's coaching 'achievements' (any QLD legend could have coached that QLD side btw, so I don't see it as that big of an accomplishment) and media profile gave him a leg up.

EDIT: On Johns, he was great, but that '97 premiership that always gets talked about highly by his cult members would have never happened if the Broncos were in that comp. The SL was vastly superior to the ARL. I still rate Johns ahead of people like Cronk, Slater, and JT tho.

Last edited:
If you’re gonna make the entire thing look cheap and shit by fucking it up and naming 5 new immortals you might as well just name six and put Locky there as well.

If Locky were a one club player for any of the Sydney clubs, you can bet your ass he would already be in.

It will be Lockyer in 2022 and one other. Probably Fittler because sadly, NSW will have a cry otherwise

Active Now

• Morepudding
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Socnorb
  • Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • The True King
  • broncsgoat
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Matheos
  • Waynesaurus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mister Wright
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.