5 New Immortals Named - Not Darren Lockyer

How does a bloke who's never won a premiership become an Immortal?

Perhaps because premiership victories aren't a big factor in the selection process?

Trust me mate - it's a good thing.

All Immortals must first be members of the Hall of Fame.

All members of the Hall of Fame must be retired for a period of five years to be eligible.

Also pretty sure you have to contribute off the field in the community and within the nrl, as well as the obvious being a Legend on the field.

Lockyer will be there, no stress

you're right except the bolded ... reportedly only their contributions on the field count

Not doubting his ability, but I think it's farcical that Johns is already an immortal and Lockyer isn't.

That's exactly it. Lockyer was better. Johns gets in as soon as his 5 years was up. Lockyer 7 years and still waiting. Absolute joke.

As I predicted... mal doesnt deserve to be there my opinion, gene miles was better than him.. The fact they looked at stats and maybe even a little of field stuff is wrong.

Also, the way Wayne talked in an interview, made it seem like the judges were told oh hey this is this guy last time after this they cant be nominated anymore and he even said it changed his position slightly.

The fact that andrew johns got put in straight away... 5 years after he retired, and lockyer did not and meninga got put in over lockyer is a farse.

Lockyer wont get in now Thurston is retiring this year he will be put in the hall of fame before the next immortal is announced. in 4 years time 4.. the next immortal will be announced. whose to say they just including thurston then, and say **** the 5 year rule.. or change it so u only be retired 4 years before being able to be selected. because they said they were going to induct 2 tonight and they inducted 5!!!!!

meninga was up for selection between 3-5 times and got passed over each time... he should not be in there. if someone is passed over for being selected for something 3-5 times like meninga and provan were by a judging panel.. and they get put in over lockyer?? the hell is that.

you're right except the bolded ... reportedly only their contributions on the field count
Yeah I can understand that, makes a bit more sense.
More along the lines of players who have redefined/changed the way the game or key positions is/are played.

I had a little squiz on the nrl immortals wikipedia this was listed...

Furthermore, to overcome entrenched criticism over Johns' admitted use of recreational drugs during his playing career, the rules were altered so the candidates can only be judged on their playing ability alone, and nothing else.

There is a moron on leagueunlimited trying to justify that Paul Harrigan and Jamie Lyon(and his not joking) deserve to be there ahead of Darren Lockyer, that is the mindset your dealing with. Hell putting aside Lockyer, Harrigan wasn't good enough to shine The Bricks Shoes and Lyon? LOL.

in 4 years time 4.. the next immortal will be announced

Thurston will not be eligible in 4 years ... even if in the hall of fame ...

Lockyer will become an immortal, but he shouldn't become one so soon ... unlike Johns (although was inevitable going to become an immortal), when Lockyer gets in his selection will actually be legitimate .... no one should ever be inducted into the immortals until they have been retired for at least a decade ...

oh and FTR, Mal absolutely deserves this recognition, even if you forget his coaching record, his playing resume was brilliant:

3 premierships
46 Test matches
32 Origins (+ 6 interstate games before Origin started)
held the origin point scoring record for 20 years (Thurston took it in 2014)
the only player to go on 4 Kangaroos tours
Golden Boot winner

Lockyer is not the only worthy recipient of immortal status

What puzzles me is how the **** is langer not even in the conversation.

The dominant halfback of the 90’s, 2 rule changes due directly to him, longevity, THE go to man in the most dominant team of the 90’s, captained 4 premierships, more then 30 origins, countless clutch moments, written off throughout his career..

HOW?! Bloody sydney media!

And lockyer, he played more then double the amount of games for australia then a johns, was never picked on the bench for his state, dominated 2 positions, captained his state and country to success. A johns was great but the thing that annoys me is he wasnt dominant for long periods. He dominated for about 5 seasons, outside of those 5 season langer, toovey, kimmorley and stuart all kept him down the pecking order at different stages for rep jerseys.

Am I that jaded with the running of the NRL that I don’t even care

people need to disregard Johns. his induction made the concept a joke ... Hell, it was probably the reason the likes of Kent and Rothfield were kicked of the voting panel

what happened tonight went a little way towards restoring a bit of credibility into the concept.

people need to disregard Johns. his induction made the concept a joke ... Hell, it was probably the reason the likes of Kent and Rothfield were kicked of the voting panel

what happened tonight went a little way towards restoring a bit of credibility into the concept.

How can we disregard Johns, he is there with the ultimate respect for eternity. It is a disgrace and cannot be ignored.

Well done Mal. Much deserved spot. Was an incredibly damaging runner and led from the front. 4 tours is nothing to sneeze at.
Lockyer will get his go and deservedly so though in time.

Lockyer will become an immortal, but he shouldn't become one so soon ... unlike Johns (although was inevitable going to become an immortal), when Lockyer gets in his selection will actually be legitimate .... no one should ever be inducted into the immortals until they have been retired for at least a decade ...

oh and FTR, Mal absolutely deserves this recognition, even if you forget his coaching record, his playing resume was brilliant:

3 premierships
46 Test matches
Golden Boot winner

Five premierships.

3 premierships
46 Test matches
Golden Boot winner

All true, but...

Lockyer is still streets ahead of Meninga as a player.

- 4 premierships
- 59 Test matches (+ 4 Super League)
- Leading tryscorer for Australia
- 36 Origins (+ 2 Super League - was, at the time, the record)
- 355 NRL games (was, at the time, the record)
- Second player to captain club, state and country in the same season to victory (behind Alf)
- First player to win Golden Boot in 2 different positions

Mal was a great player, no doubt. But in an era where we can directly compare players thanks to footage and solid stats, Lockyer was just better.

And the hard, indisputable truth; the fact that Meninga got in ahead of Minto is a disgrace!

What puzzles me is how the **** is langer not even in the conversation.

The dominant halfback of the 90’s, 2 rule changes due directly to him, longevity, THE go to man in the most dominant team of the 90’s, captained 4 premierships, more then 30 origins, countless clutch moments, written off throughout his career..

HOW?! Bloody sydney media!

And lockyer, he played more then double the amount of games for australia then a johns, was never picked on the bench for his state, dominated 2 positions, captained his state and country to success. A johns was great but the thing that annoys me is he wasnt dominant for long periods. He dominated for about 5 seasons, outside of those 5 season langer, toovey, kimmorley and stuart all kept him down the pecking order at different stages for rep jerseys.

Selector’s personal feelings are hard to consider. Beetson was dropped from the Australian team, Mal moved to second row twice, Wally dropped 82 and Alf dropped twice from Australian team for Stuart.

Selector’s personal feelings are hard to consider. Beetson was dropped from the Australian team, Mal moved to second row twice, Wally dropped 82 and Alf dropped twice from Australian team for Stuart.
I agree and dont think it should be used totally as a barometer for a players talent or legacy when occuring once or twice but when it happened over nearly a decade then it tells you something. An immortal would force a selectors hands, or when given the chance/fighting for spot they would dominate the game so they couldnt get dropped. I think johns should be in there, but whilst lockyer never reached the same domination level as johns he sustained it over a much longer period

Active Now

• Astro
  • Huge
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.