5 New Immortals Named - Not Darren Lockyer

I find the concept of the immortal completely bogus. The fact that Langer is not on that list is unacceptable as will be Locky. The game is corrupt, the fact that 11 weeks ago two teams running middle of the pack have surged to premiership favourites on the back of Greenburg telling the refs not to ref is a joke. Not to mention the Roorters being in every player signing conversation despite the signings they already have. If i didn't love the Broncos so much i would be done with this game.

Not to mention the Roorters being in every player signing conversation despite the signings they already have.

I generally don't defend the Roosters, but this could be a similar situation to what we often see about us, where the media link them to every player on the market, regardless of their actual interest ...

of course it could also be due to their "creative" accountants that manage their salary sombrero

There is a Hall of Fame gala dinner at the SCG tomorrow night and it will be broadcast on Fox League at 8pm.
I don't have fox but thanks for the heads up. So despite ch9 having a few of their employees on the panel they never thought such an Occassion was worthy of telecasting. Typical.

So when is it actually announced? I've read that it's at a dinner at the SCG tonight, will it be on NRL 360 or something?

This is lockyers only chance, next time the immortal is picked he will be up against, Jonathan thurston... and we all know what will happen there.. like for real. TBh this is lockyers only chance, and the fact it looks like meninga will go in over lockyer is a disgrace, meninga is not in lockyers class at all its is based on playing ability, in which lockyer is better but because of all the politicking meninga will go in, also how can the judges vote in any of the pre War players when they have never seen any of them play.....

SLater?? slater isnt up for immortal status he is still playing LOOL

This is lockyers only chance, next time the immortal is picked he will be up against, Jonathan thurston... and we all know what will happen there.. like for real. TBh this is lockyers only chance, and the fact it looks like meninga will go in over lockyer is a disgrace, meninga is not in lockyers class at all its is based on playing ability, in which lockyer is better but because of all the politicking meninga will go in, also how can the judges vote in any of the pre War players when they have never seen any of them play.....

Lockyer will become an immortal one day ... but it shouldn't be this year ...

Joey getting made an immortal so soon after his retirement started making a joke of the concept. they need to set it back on track now the NRL have control of it.

making any player an immortal within 10 years of their retirement should not happen. Hall of Fame is fine, but the immortals should represent the best of the best, players who are still remembered for their talents on a footy field for a long period after they have hung up the boots.

Lockyer will have his day ... but there are other players who should be inducted first

I'm sorry but I think it should be a requirement that players should have to wait till their 60th birthday to have a chance at immortal status. If the player passes away before their 60th then just add the extra years till they are to be "60".

Also cheats should be banned for having any chance at this award. So Cam/Slater/Cronk/Inglis/Gallen etc become ineligible. I believe Johns was party drugs but if he gained a competitive advantage from them then his one should be removed.

I was just reading that to be eligible to be considered for immortal status, you have to be part of the NRL hall of fame (currently has 100 members)

this is a good first step

Then the immortals concept is a joke...

Also... What in the hell is this judging panel?

Ray Warren

Phil Gould

Bob Fulton

steve crawley

Andrew johns.......????????????????????????????????????????????

Wally Lewis ( he already states mal maninga should be the next immortal so this is very confusing)

Ian Heads

Todd Greenberg ????????? WHAT in the???? why is he on here... he doesnt even no how to run the nrl and now he is going to be picking next immortal LOOOOL this jackass self appointed himself...

Now lets look at who got dropped of the panel.

Daily Telegraph editor Phil Rothfield,

RLW founding editor Geoff Prenter,

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett

Ray Hadley

Okay.. now, why did they drop wayne bennett??? i really dont understand it he was the only person on there who should have been there he has seen everyone play... and knows football better than most of the people on the panel?? so who was bennett axed for Todd Greenburg or phill gouild its ridiculous.. this panel is definitely not going to vote the right player in who is Darren lockyer...

Mal meninga will get it or maybe dally messenger... I mean mal was good but he isn't immortal status at all and should not be put in.. the rest i can't comment on cause i have never seen them play... also NO ONE living in the world has seen them play.. the fact the allowed people pre war to be inducted is stupid.. cause no one has seen them play. And then removed the one person who would have seen them play bennet of the panel just shows how incompetent the NRL is.

Bennett was on the panel.

Johns and Wally are there because the Immortals vote.

Last edited:
Did anyone see this article? https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/01/immortality-case-darren-lockyer/

Personally Lockyer is the best i've ever seen, but i'm a youngen. Seen a lot of the games Meninga played in, and while he was fantastic, to me, nothing came close to what lockyer did.

Andrew Johns got it, and when it came to games for Australia, it was often Lockyer calling the shots. To me he is the best, and by a long way too.

I'm sorry but I think it should be a requirement that players should have to wait till their 60th birthday to have a chance at immortal status. If the player passes away before their 60th then just add the extra years till they are to be "60".

Also cheats should be banned for having any chance at this award. So Cam/Slater/Cronk/Inglis/Gallen etc become ineligible. I believe Johns was party drugs but if he gained a competitive advantage from them then his one should be removed.

I love this idea, really cements them in as being that once in a generation, not to be forgotten type player. If we look back in 30 years with the same fondness as we do when they retire, they should be a shoo in.

I agree with the first part, but not so much the 2nd one.

The drugs thing would come a lot down to luck, because there are more players than haven't been caught than who have.

I like the idea of waiting until their 60th birthdays. I also thinks it prevents player hype, or controversies from distorting the selection.
That said, with johns' selection, the horse has already bolted.
I have a huge problem with some of the selectors voting. They should be apart from big media and not be seen to discriminate the selection based on the individual's association with that media or a competitor and it's impact on their "brand" (I despise that term!). To do so risks cheapening the concept to little more than a PR exercise (ironic considering the concepts origin). Even though it was started as exactly that, thise in charge had the good sense to keep the original selections small in number, from a tight pool of ex-players with a large concensus of approval.

They should just pick every player who is worthy of the Immortal status from the very start all the way to the 2010 automatically and then start fresh because a player must be retired for more than five or six years I think before they can compete for the title and that way new and young players coming into the competition will play harder and more consistent football

They should just pick every player who is worthy of the Immortal status from the very start all the way to the 2010 automatically and then start fresh because a player must be retired for more than five or six years I think before they can compete for the title and that way new and young players coming into the competition will play harder and more consistent football

they also need to get in the hall of fame to be eligible

It's Dally Messenger, Dave Brown and Frank Burge.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • marw
  • broncsgoat
  • Browny
  • LGH
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.