McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Darius Boyd’s mental toughness on show
in gutsy Broncos victory

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
August 30, 2019 10:33pm

The finals are well and truly alive for the Broncos after a gutsy, gritty performance against the Eels.
Check out the five things we learned from the incredible golden point victory here.

Darius Boyd goes in for his try. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

Darius Boyd goes in for his try. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

GOLDEN BOYD RETURNS
1. DARIUS Boyd’s mental toughness can’t be questioned. The criticism of the Broncos captain this season has been consistently venomous but he showed admirable fortitude to hit back with a fine five-eighth performance. It was Boyd’s first-half bust that led to David Fifita’s try. The skipper then scored one himself in the second half and iced a five-star display with some reliable frontline defence.

BRING ON THE DOGGIES
2. THE Broncos have one foot in the finals door. Brisbane all-but sealed a top-eight spot with the thrilling disposal of the Eels and their playoffs berth will be confirmed if the Dragons beat the Tigers on Sunday. Brisbane have shown enough energy and commitment at the back end of the season to warrant a finals spot and they could finish as high as seventh if they beat the Bulldogs next Saturday night.

David Fifita rolls over Reed Mahoney at Suncorp Stadium. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

David Fifita rolls over Reed Mahoney at Suncorp Stadium. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

X-FACTOR’S FIRING UP
3. DAVID Fifita and Anthony Milford are Brisbane’s X-factors if they reach the playoffs as expected. Fifita’s left-edge solo running is simply brutal and Milford was superb from the back, producing a number of clever tactical kicks and doing some fine clean-up work. Brisbane have the individual weapons to cause damage in the finals.

ICEMAN ISAAKO STRIKES
4. JAMAYNE Isaako has got his mojo back. The Broncos winger had an error-riddled start to the season but he has been magnificent in the past six weeks. His kicking radar is back on song and his extra-time field goal evoked memories of his one-pointer to sink the Wests Tigers last year.

Sean O’Sullivan is capable at halfback, but the right edge isn’t working. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

Sean O’Sullivan is capable at halfback, but the right edge isn’t working. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

LEFT FIELD CHOICE NOT RIGHT
5. SEAN O’Sullivan has proven a capable option at halfback at the Broncos but there is a problem with him being on Brisbane’s right edge. O’Sullivan is a left-footed kicker and he shanked one high ball trying to kick across his body. Ideally, O’Sullivan should be on the left edge to fully capitalise on his left boot with Darius Boyd possibly shifting to the right to marshall Brisbane’s attack.

Last edited:

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
Mate. I've really come around to give Boyd a lot of credit since moving to 6.

His attitude and content in D has been inspiring for a player who was literally on the scrap heap. He showed again this week that he's a very good defensive player in the front line when he has no option but to stay committed.

I actually have faith that a full preseason building a structure and set plays, he could actually make a good nother run around next year. He's never played the role before, and right now he's focusing on nailing his D game which he has. In my opinion, if he doesn't choose to go out with his head high this year, he could have a good last year next year.

Credit where credit is due. I was burning him alive this year for his commitment and form, rightfully so I still think.. but credit. He and Seibold have done a decent job turning around a corner in Boyd's career. Not there yet, but it's a corner

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
I'm mostly with you there Arnie. He could conceivably get better as a 5/8 next year but we'd still have a stronger team with Milf/Bird and Dearden/SOS in the halves and Bird/Milf at fullback. But if Bird were to walk and Darbs keeps on the uptick we could make a decent fist of it next year.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
Is that info correct that he is on a tapered contract that reduces down to 600K and then 400K in his last season, if so, I am starting to see the reason for the 4 year contract.

Credit to Darbs, that was a pretty good game last night, if he can stay at that level and even improve, happy to have him next year.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Rep
I'm happy to give Boyd credit for his good performance, but I just cannot get over how badly he exposed himself as a cat. He's been a passenger all season giving zero fucks, cops a tonne of heat during the week then suddenly comes out and plays his best game in ages? Comeon folks, there's more than a little Dave Taylor syndrome about that.

Broncapz

QCup Player
Gotta give props to Boyd for showing up last night. If he can keep that up for the rest of the season and we can fix that leaky right side defense and not be so exposed by offloads, then we are going to make the big boys sweat.

His 'MotM' was well deserved within the context of the game and the week before it, even though he wasn't the best on the field.

Do it again please Boyd.

Last edited:

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
I'm happy to give Boyd credit for his good performance, but I just cannot get over how badly he exposed himself as a cat. He's been a passenger all season giving zero fucks, cops a tonne of heat during the week then suddenly comes out and plays his best game in ages? Comeon folks, there's more than a little Dave Taylor syndrome about that.
Mate, who knows what has been going on inside of his head, inside of his personal life, inside of the team and the team dynamics. He may have had shit going on all year we don't know about, but which the coach and the team do, which is why they have stayed solid behind him the whole time. He may have turned the corner with whatever the issues were and be starting to come good.

I would not call any guy who has played the amount of football that he has, at the level that he has, a cat.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Mate, who knows what has been going on inside of his head, inside of his personal life, inside of the team and the team dynamics. He may have had shit going on all year we don't know about, but which the coach and the team do, which is why they have stayed solid behind him the whole time. He may have turned the corner with whatever the issues were and be starting to come good.

I would not call any guy who has played the amount of football that he has, at the level that he has, a cat.
It's possible, it really is. But I think it's more likely he will go back to stinking it up. It was 1 great game in 2 seasons, I would like to be wrong about this but I just don't think I am.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
It's possible, it really is. But I think it's more likely he will go back to stinking it up. It was 1 great game in 2 seasons, I would like to be wrong about this but I just don't think I am.
It will only be good for us if I am right. It is all that I can think of, because I could not see how he was still being picked on his form, so there was something in the background that we are not aware of.

theshed

NRL Player
Boyd was angry in defence last night
He’s been doing that for a couple weeks. The useless prick can actually put a big hit on. He’s finally starting to use his big frame. If he starts running into the line and putting the odd grubber in I might come around to the guy as a 6. Great game last night from the captain.

Midean

BRL Player
Good to see praise where it is due, criticism is fine so long as credit is given when its warranted.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Is that info correct that he is on a tapered contract that reduces down to 600K and then 400K in his last season, if so, I am starting to see the reason for the 4 year contract.

Credit to Darbs, that was a pretty good game last night, if he can stay at that level and even improve, happy to have him next year.
I've been saying that I believe Boyd's contract was for just over 600k pa for quite a while now because of what I was told by someone close to the club. It wasn't certain or anything but my contact claimed it was something like 620/625 over the 4 years. That recent news article about tapering points to that but I'm not claiming it's proof. I always objected to claims he was on 800/900 k.

Midean

BRL Player
Yes....."Thanks for actually giving a **** tonight, Darius"
You seriously think he doesn't give a **** on other nights? Cmon mate, the hate for Darius has been brutal this year, and his form has been shit, but when he has a good night, only a handful of people here praise him for it.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
You seriously think he doesn't give a **** on other nights? Cmon mate, the hate for Darius has been brutal this year, and his form has been shit, but when he has a good night, only a handful of people here praise him for it.
Some on here have to be 'right' all the time, they just cannot bring themselves to admit they were wrong about anything...ever!

There was never a moment when I believed DB didn't care about his performance or his commitment. Like all of us at times he might not have been 'feeling it' at work but I believed he always cared about the Broncos. I'm glad I stuck up for him as solidly as I did but I was becoming convinced (or at least influenced) by the mob.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter