NEWS A club divided

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Word is the Broncos have a "rift in the playing ranks," riding on speculation that Tevita Pangai Jr might be wiped out of the NRL. This follows a series of bio-security breaches and a confession he can't promise not to do it again. Fairfax scribe Andrew Webster says NRL brahmin are “filthy” with Pangai’s blatant lawlessness, which might result in him not getting a contract registered in 2021:

“As I understand it, the NRL are pretty filthy with the way that his interview went with the Integrity Unit. I don’t think he is guaranteed of getting a contract registered at the start of next year. I can’t believe when he got interviewed by the NRL Integrity Unit last week he said that he had not just breached the biosecurity five times, but also said he couldn’t guarantee that he wouldn’t do it again. That’s the whole reason why they said, ‘You’re not playing again for the rest of the year’."

X1080

Will likely re-offend

“The Broncos think that they’re on pretty firm ground. There’s been five actual breaches of those biosecurity measures that prompted the NRL to stand him down. So I don’t know if it’s a question of whether they should sack him, I think they will sack him."

Phil Gould believes there's more duck below the waterline:

“The rumour has been out of there for a number of months that there is an element within the player ranks at the Broncos that is very disruptive. They’ve got no control over it, and they just don’t seem to be able to rein it in. So, I don’t think Tevita Pangai is the only one in this.”

Webster also sees a “split in the playing group:"

“There are some that want to be there, there are some that don’t. And there was a dramatic change after the COVID break.”

McHunt

Last edited:
How dumb is TPJ just play the game and follow the rules and earn good money.
Nah just repeatedly breach the rules and state you’ll continue to breach the rules
This! The stupidity is awe inspiring..

Possible legal action to recover hundreds of k... trying to impress a new employer.. and he does that. You have to just be impressed :)

How dumb is TPJ just play the game and follow the rules and earn good money.
Nah just repeatedly breach the rules and state you’ll continue to breach the rules
He didn't state he'd continue to break the rules. Are you really a copper? ****, I certainly don't want you making a statement! He reportedly said he couldn't guarantee he wouldn't break them. That's a truthful answer. No one can guarantee that.

Here's why. You look out the window and see an adult choking a child to death. You stand and watch because of the rules or charge out there to prevent the childs death? Sure, it's an extreme example but it means you cannot GUARANTEE you won't break a rule. You can say I'll try and only an idiot would ask someone to guarantee something that they just cannot guarantee.

You could ask someone to guarantee they'll try their best to obey a rule. That's actually the most you can reasonably ask for. Think about it logically.

He didn't state he'd continue to break the rules. Are you really a copper? ****, I certainly don't want you making a statement! He reportedly said he couldn't guarantee he wouldn't break them. That's a truthful answer. No one can guarantee that.

Here's why. You look out the window and see an adult choking a child to death. You stand and watch because of the rules or charge out there to prevent the childs death? Sure, it's an extreme example but it means you cannot GUARANTEE you won't break a rule. You can say I'll try and only an idiot would ask someone to guarantee something that they just cannot guarantee.

You could ask someone to guarantee they'll try their best to obey a rule. That's actually the most you can reasonably ask for. Think about it logically.
I'm inclined to believe the Courier Mail was being as sensational as possible, but honestly, I doubt that sort of example is the kind of thing the Integrity Unit was considering when asking him for a guarantee he wouldn't break the rules again. In the end, it's all about the impression he left them with, which needed to be that he would do his absolute best to obey the rules.

If he walked out of that meeting leaving them with anything less than that, then he only has himself to blame when he's watching 2021 on the sidelines.

Don't be silly. You are taking it out of context.
Of course no one can guarantee they wont break protocol in an emergency or other extenuating circumstances.
There is zero chance that was how it was worded and replied to in TPJ's case.
They would have asked him a serious question in regards to knowingly breaking the rules, only a fool would assume they meant you cant break the rules under any circumstances.
My house is on fire, but i didn't go outside so i wouldn't break the rules. Don't be daft mate, you know very well that's not how this would have gone down.

They would have asked him if he was able to follow the rules outlined by the NRL in regards to Apollo protocols, He has obviously said nope, this is why they are mad at him and not allowing him to play again this year.

Cant believe this has to be explained.

what if its Brodie Croft getting choked.....???.....what should one do then...??

I get the feeling TPJ doesn't give a shit whether he sits out 2021, if he did he wouldn't have left such a bad impression with the Integrity Unit. He basically thumbed his nose at them by the sound of it. He isn't just doing that to us, he's doing it to the NRL as well. Either he's incredibly stupid and arrogant, or he's comfortable knowing he will just bounce to Rugby Union on desperation money.

Don't be silly. You are taking it out of context.
Of course no one can guarantee they wont break protocol in an emergency or other extenuating circumstances.
There is zero chance that was how it was worded and replied to in TPJ's case.
They would have asked him a serious question in regards to knowingly breaking the rules, only a fool would assume they meant you cant break the rules under any circumstances.
My house is on fire, but i didn't go outside so i wouldn't break the rules. Don't be daft mate, you know very well that's not how this would have gone down.

They would have asked him if he was able to follow the rules outlined by the NRL in regards to Apollo protocols, He has obviously said nope, this is why they are mad at him and not allowing him to play again this year.

Cant believe this has to be explained.
That's almost exactly what I said! Had you read my post right through I stated that could he 'guarantee he would try to keep to the rules' would be the most you could hope for. You and I weren't there and how do you know his response wasn't taken out of context? Why be outraged by a newspaper/media report which you know are unreliable and sensationalist?

Had I heard it myself I could decide my level of indignation but you guys keep falling for the same old trick. No wonder the media keep playing it on you. Unlike you guys I take these kind of things with a grain of salt but jesus, some of you simply swallow everything as if it's the sworn, proven gospel truth.

We weren't there, we didn't hear him say it, we're getting it second and third hand, it's anecdotal evidence and I don't blame TPJ for being angry that private discussion was blabbed to the media. Have you ever considered TPJ might be angry because THAT'S NOT HOW IT WENT DOWN????
That it's been misrepresented?

Save the outrage until you KNOW with certainty. This sort of mentality results in the gullible screaming 'ban him for life' for the same offence as WB who may have stepped out for dinner with the missus more than once too, not that we know that happened, it's just possible. TPJ might just have been silly enough to think being honest was the best policy in this instance.

Clearly few of you think things through.

That's almost exactly what I said! Had you read my post right through I stated that could he 'guarantee he would try to keep to the rules' would be the most you could hope for. You and I weren't there and how do you know his response wasn't taken out of context? Why be outraged by a newspaper/media report which you know are unreliable and sensationalist?

Had I heard it myself I could decide my level of indignation but you guys keep falling for the same old trick. No wonder the media keep playing it on you. Unlike you guys I take these kind of things with a grain of salt but jesus, some of you simply swallow everything as if it's the sworn, proven gospel truth.

We weren't there, we didn't hear him say it, we're getting it second and third hand, it's anecdotal evidence and I don't blame TPJ for being angry that private discussion was blabbed to the media. Have you ever considered TPJ might be angry because THAT'S NOT HOW IT WENT DOWN????

Save the outrage until you KNOW with certainty. This sort of mentality results in the gullible screaming 'ban him for life' for the same offence as WB who may have stepped out for dinner with the missus more than once too, not that we know that happened, it's just possible. TPJ might just have been silly enough to think being honest was the best policy in this instance.

Its called common sense amigo.
No one in their right mind would put a blanket rule out that says under no circumstances can you break said rules.
common. sense.

The Apollo protocols are in place to protect the players, and the game.
You came out and said he couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't break the restrictions because "no one can guarantee that".
But you can.
Extenuating circumstances would be written into the Apollo protocols and if the NRL were unhappy with TPJ's response, it means he has been unable to assure them he will follow the rules that have been put in place.

Its a copout.

Last edited:
I get the feeling TPJ doesn't give a shit whether he sits out 2021, if he did he wouldn't have left such a bad impression with the Integrity Unit. He basically thumbed his nose at them by the sound of it. He isn't just doing that to us, he's doing it to the NRL as well. Either he's incredibly stupid and arrogant, or he's comfortable knowing he will just bounce to Rugby Union on desperation money.
Good thing he's hired a lawyer

Do you know who heard him? The integrity unit. Now, whether the media "sensationalised" the story doesn't matter. Whatever TPJ's response was to the interviewers was bad enough for them to go 'mate, you're not playing again this year'. That punishment is significantly harsher then any other who's breached the bubble.

Last edited:
Do you know who heard him? The integrity unit. Now, whether the media "sensationalised" the story doesn't matter. Whatever TPJ's response was to the interviewers was bad enough for them to go 'mate, you're not playing again this year'. That punishment is significantly harsher then any other who's breached the bubble.
I'm well aware the integrity unit heard him but I didn't. At best I could be reasonably sure that what they reported was accurate. Reasonably sure but not certain. Before I can react appropriately to a report I'd need to be certain it was accurate. I have no such certainty. I haven't seen the integrity units report, all I or anyone has is their(the media)version of it.

The sensationalist view, that's the one I've heard. I reserve my outrage for that which I KNOW with certainty to be accurate. I don't fly into a rage over the unreliable testimony of the media who we all acknowledge is there to generate heat, generate clicks.

Common sense should dictate to us all that we don't have access to the evidence, we only have access to anothers interpretation of the evidence. If it's enough for you all that's fine, I cannot make the hoi polloi use critical thinking to assess a thing. No one has ever managed to do that. It's why we give that job to those we know will use said skills.

I could produce a thought exercise about absolute certainty. What standard of evidence would you need if it was your life on the line, your child or loved one's lives? Of course some of you will run off on some tangent away from the point of the thought exercise.

My point is simple enough though. Why would anyone declare certainty about a thing if they know they weren't there, didn't hear it themselves and only had anecdotal evidence from an unreliable source with an agenda by which to judge the merits of a case? Simples.

Last edited:

Actions speak louder than words. That's all there is to it

I'm well aware the integrity unit heard him but I didn't. At best I could be reasonably sure that what they reported was accurate. Reasonably sure but not certain. Before I can react appropriately to a report I'd need to be certain it was accurate. I have no such certainty. I haven't seen the integrity units report, all I or anyone has is their(the media)version of it.

The sensationalist view, that's the one I've heard. I reserve my outrage for that which I KNOW with certainty to be accurate. I don't fly into a rage over the unreliable testimony of the media who we all acknowledge is there to generate heat, generate clicks.

Common sense should dictate to us all that we don't have access to the evidence, we only have access to anothers interpretation of the evidence. If it's enough for you all that's fine, I cannot make the hoi polloi use critical thinking to assess a thing. No one has ever managed to do that. It's why we give that job to those we know will use said skills.

I could produce a thought exercise about absolute certainty. What standard of evidence would you need if it was your life on the line, your child or loved one's lives? Of course some of you will run off on some tangent away from the point of the thought exercise.

My point is simple enough though. Why would anyone declare certainty about a thing if they know they weren't there, didn't hear it themselves and only had anecdotal evidence from an unreliable source with an agenda by which to judge the merits of a case? Simples.
Well he isn't allowed to play this year, and perhaps not next year either. Those decisions have already been made by the Integrity Unit based on whatever it was he said/didn't say, so it can't all be media hype. Someone, somewhere obviously didn't buy TPJ's level of contrition or willingness not to offend again.

I liken it to being pulled over by the Police: Regardless of what you did, you have a small opportunity to just shut the **** up and play as nice and polite as possible and maybe, just maybe, get off with a warning, or at worst have your offence downgraded. Smart asses and arrogant folk tend to have the book thrown at them though and even a small offence can escalate very quickly depending on how you behave. This example is no different. The integrity unit have all the power and all TPJ can do is play nice.

Our club is on it's knees and TPJ had a chance to go and make his case with the only body who can clear him to play again and help us out this year, and all he had to do was tuck his tail between his legs and apologise and not say anything stupid, but obviously that was too much for him because whatever he said or did has written off that prospect for 2020 and could well write off his 2021 season at some point too.

Active Now

• OnToSomething
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Pablo
  • heartly87
  • Sproj
  • Griffo
  • Astro
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.