A new Broncos fan is born/stories of your conversion

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
So here's a touching story about my 12 year old nephew "Z's" conversion to the great game of Rugby League and the Brisbane Broncos.

A year ago September my hubby's brother passed away suddenly leaving behind 4 kids aged 6-11 and a wife. Anyway, my brother in law and wife hated footy, and his kids had nothing to do with any kind of sport really outside of school...academic types you know.

Fast forward this first state of origin, my inlaws incl my SIL (for the first time ever) and her 4 kids came around to watch origin with us, we put on a big spread it's a bit of a tradition, and it was fun.

I got a text the 2nd origin mentioning that Z had asked if we were doing anything, even though he couldn't come and we didn't think about it again.

We along with a few of my inlaws and their kids went on a road-trip to Cairns, stopping in Townsville to watch a northern nephew compete in the Laurie Spina cup, he was also running in the relay at half time for the cowboys so we went to the cowboys game (good Lord, somebody get them a new stadium). My hubby would play touch footy with the kids every afternoon, and Z forced his mum to buy him some footy boots. We didn't really notice Z taking it all in and working out that all of his uncles and cousins loved Footy, and here was a way to bond with some male role models (he'd been missing since his dad died, and maybe a long time before that even).

Thursday night rolled around and we sat down and watched whoever was playing whoever, and Z was the only kid who sat and watched the whole thing asking the rules etc. The next day he asked me if we'd be watching the Broncos game that night. My "hell yes" was met with a sigh of relief and he went about his business until kick off. Broncos v Storm, less said the better. He was the only one who watched the whole game (Yeah yeah I bailed with 10 to go), just after half time he asked "Sooo, the Broncos aren't doing too well, does this mean we go for the Cowboys now?" - this is a kid who has known nothing about sport at all ever, "No mate, we stick by our team through thick and thin, so you pick a team and you stay with them forever" he thinks for a minute and says "I'm from Brisbane, so I'll be sticking by the Broncos" nodding away.

I got a photo from his mum last night of Z comfy in front of the Broncos game and hubby and I quickly made plans to take him to the Eels game - the only Friday night game left.

****If anyone is looking for a reason for the Broncos plunge in form, we haven't put it past my brother in law rolling over in his grave at his son getting into footy, and that he's doing some behind the scenes sabotage on the boys lol*******

----------
Sorry for the long post, but do you have a Broncos conversion story, an epiphany to share?
and does anyone here know how to get a Broncos signed poster or something for the kid?

Great read.

It's devotion like that that clubs need, not any of this bandwagon garbage.

Mrs long , hi there. I hope you dont mind my following action, but, with the permission of yourselve an fellow subscribers if i may, I would like to nominate your posting into the category of 'Post of The Year'. SIMPLY inspirational an a real lesson for many of the fair weather fans (you know who you are by the way) who frequent this forum on what a TRUE fan really is.

I hope the little fellow enjoys many a more Broncos home games in the not to distant future an may the lads begin to put in some much more determined an heartful efforts for both him, an, all there supporters.

Again, well done to you and hoping for a follow up post to keep us updated ! Bless.

So here's a touching story about my 12 year old nephew "Z's" conversion to the great game of Rugby League and the Brisbane Broncos.

A year ago September my hubby's brother passed away suddenly leaving behind 4 kids aged 6-11 and a wife. Anyway, my brother in law and wife hated footy, and his kids had nothing to do with any kind of sport really outside of school...academic types you know.

Fast forward this first state of origin, my inlaws incl my SIL (for the first time ever) and her 4 kids came around to watch origin with us, we put on a big spread it's a bit of a tradition, and it was fun.

I got a text the 2nd origin mentioning that Z had asked if we were doing anything, even though he couldn't come and we didn't think about it again.

We along with a few of my inlaws and their kids went on a road-trip to Cairns, stopping in Townsville to watch a northern nephew compete in the Laurie Spina cup, he was also running in the relay at half time for the cowboys so we went to the cowboys game (good Lord, somebody get them a new stadium). My hubby would play touch footy with the kids every afternoon, and Z forced his mum to buy him some footy boots. We didn't really notice Z taking it all in and working out that all of his uncles and cousins loved Footy, and here was a way to bond with some male role models (he'd been missing since his dad died, and maybe a long time before that even).

Thursday night rolled around and we sat down and watched whoever was playing whoever, and Z was the only kid who sat and watched the whole thing asking the rules etc. The next day he asked me if we'd be watching the Broncos game that night. My "hell yes" was met with a sigh of relief and he went about his business until kick off. Broncos v Storm, less said the better. He was the only one who watched the whole game (Yeah yeah I bailed with 10 to go), just after half time he asked "Sooo, the Broncos aren't doing too well, does this mean we go for the Cowboys now?" - this is a kid who has known nothing about sport at all ever, "No mate, we stick by our team through thick and thin, so you pick a team and you stay with them forever" he thinks for a minute and says "I'm from Brisbane, so I'll be sticking by the Broncos" nodding away.

I got a photo from his mum last night of Z comfy in front of the Broncos game and hubby and I quickly made plans to take him to the Eels game - the only Friday night game left.

****If anyone is looking for a reason for the Broncos plunge in form, we haven't put it past my brother in law rolling over in his grave at his son getting into footy, and that he's doing some behind the scenes sabotage on the boys lol*******

----------
Sorry for the long post, but do you have a Broncos conversion story, an epiphany to share?
and does anyone here know how to get a Broncos signed poster or something for the kid?

Fantastic post
Thanku✌

Mrs long , hi there. I hope you dont mind my following action, but, with the permission of yourselve an fellow subscribers if i may, I would like to nominate your posting into the category of 'Post of The Year'. SIMPLY inspirational an a real lesson for many of the fair weather fans (you know who you are by the way) who frequent this forum on what a TRUE fan really is.

I hope the little fellow enjoys many a more Broncos home games in the not to distant future an may the lads begin to put in some much more determined an heartful efforts for both him, an, all there supporters.

Again, well done to you and hoping for a follow up post to keep us updated ! Bless.

Hey yeah that's fine of course.
I'll keep you guys informed of his development as a Broncos fan.....poor lad, what a time to get on board.

Hey yeah that's fine of course.
I'll keep you guys informed of his development as a Broncos fan.....poor lad, what a time to get on board.

He'll be alright. If he gets to the status of super fan Faith will invite him round for Vietnamese iced coffee, and if he's really lucky O'Daniel the Dude will turn up on his motorbike and maybe play a few songs on his guitar.

Took the kid to his first ever Broncos game on Friday night.
What a night for it. So glad the Broncos turned up! The milford break for oates to score at half time happened right in front of us. Bonus!

I'm pretty sure they now have a fan for life. We got home at about 11.30 and he then stayed up watching the replay, eating m&m's and pringles.... and we didn't make him brush his teeth before bed so it was like a dream night for a 12 year old haha.

Took the kid to his first ever Broncos game on Friday night.
What a night for it. So glad the Broncos turned up! The milford break for oates to score at half time happened right in front of us. Bonus!

I'm pretty sure they now have a fan for life. We got home at about 11.30 and he then stayed up watching the replay, eating m&m's and pringles.... and we didn't make him brush his teeth before bed so it was like a dream night for a 12 year old haha.

Where were you exactly?

Might be able to see you on replay.

In the 2nd level, probably can't see us. But if it helps, we're in the broncos jersey's....lol.

2nd level. That's unfortunate.

Can only see as far as the second row on the bottom level.

Last edited:
Is this the type of post that should have it's own thread?

Active Now

• lynx000
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncoscope
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wild Horse
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.