A Really Neat Little Ice-Breaker

I thought he was a pea hearted turd from the get go.....

His brick hands in that Storm game was the final straw.

Hard to argue with you, Mr Fourex.

Ball security with him was a big issue the entire time. What puzzles me is if a player comes up with a dropped ball, silly penalty, cheap shot etc and the opposition score from it in the first minute it's all fine and part of the game, however, if a mistake like that happens in the final minute and the other team snatches a win, then it was that error that cost the game? It's a bit beyond my comprehension.

Hard to argue with you, Mr Fourex.

Ball security with him was a big issue the entire time. What puzzles me is if a player comes up with a dropped ball, silly penalty, cheap shot etc and the opposition score from it in the first minute it's all fine and part of the game, however, if a mistake like that happens in the final minute and the other team snatches a win, then it was that error that cost the game? It's a bit beyond my comprehension.
Well yes because when you're about to make a grand final, you're in the lead and a few minutes away you should be careful.

Everyone was dropping the ball against the Storm. Sims was just the last to do it, and then our terrible right side defence let in a try. Beale was more at fault IMO. I still blame Sims a bit too though.

Well yes because when you're about to make a grand final, you're in the lead and a few minutes away you should be careful.

It was to make a preliminary final but I take your point. There are times a footballer just shouldn't drop the ball (that being never).

It was to make a preliminary final but I take your point. There are times a footballer just shouldn't drop the ball (that being never).
Thought I was wrong on the grand final part. Sims biggest crime was that was our biggest chance at a premiership win in years, we were leading and it was in the last minute. He probably shouldn't have the received the ball and the person who threw the pass should have just run out of dummy half but still, as an experienced player with all that on the line you'd expect he be extremely careful. He didn't need to run at full speed, all that matter was he didn't drop ball and he did. Fans are not forgiving of those kind of errors easily, especially from a nuffie player who didn't offer the club anything but ruining a shot at a premiership.

If we had won a premiership in the following years (which doesn't look like it's going to happen in a long time, sadly) people would forgive and forget.

Last edited:
2011 was a bigger chance IMO. Manly were completely fired up in the Grand Final in 08, they beat the Storm 40 - 0. I reckon we would have beaten them with Lockyer in 2011, and we would have surely beaten the Warriors again in the GF.

2011 was a bigger chance IMO. Manly were completely fired up in the Grand Final in 08, they beat the Storm 40 - 0. I reckon we would have beaten them with Lockyer in 2011, and we would have surely beaten the Warriors again in the GF.

I'm not too sure. It would've been a helluva game if Locky played. I have watched the Broncos-Dragons semi in 2011 a couple of times since then. A few things I noticed was that we had a heck of a lot more ball than the dragons but could only manage two tries and there were definite signs late in the second half that we were starting to run out of steam (even before the Beale Lockyer collision).

The next week was pretty depressing. Even without Lockyer, I thought we could give Manly a run for their money providing we got off to a good start and got our fair share of 50/50 calls. Neither happened. It was 16-0 and game over pretty much in the blink of an eye. I think it was Phil Gould that made the comment along the lines of "the Broncos look like game-day has snuck up on them."

Does anyone think Griffin's resting policy came back to haunt us that year? The games some of those players sat out were definitely winnable from memory. Who knows? A couple more wins here and there and we could've jagged a top two spot. Suddenly, we have the week off after smashing NZ and Lockyer stays on the park. So many what ifs. . .

We got completely done over by the refs against Manly. It was a joke.

We got completely done over by the refs against Manly. It was a joke.

Yes ......we were on the back foot from the start. Manly were being gifted field position by some truly shitfull refereeing.

Yes ......we were on the back foot from the start. Manly were being gifted field position by some truly shitfull refereeing.

Watmough playing the ball sideways for one of their tries, 3 penalties in their first set just because we dared to make a tackle. I remember unfortunately.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • PETERN
  • sooticus
  • Fozz
  • johnny plath
  • Alec
  • Behind enemy lines
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.