NEWS A very special all Anthony Seibold episode

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Anthony writes, Dear fans:

"Over the past summer, one of the smartest basketball minds in the United States had a clear message for the Brisbane Broncos. Ron Adams is a 72-year-old assistant coach at the Golden State Warriors. Until last year, the Warriors had reached the NBA grand final in five straight years. Ron was a key part of those big moments."

"The Warriors weren’t going so well when COVID-19 stopped the NBA season, but they’ve got some promising young players emerging. I spent a day with Ron in San Francisco last summer and his message to me was clear: “Never lose the little boy inside of you – it always has to be fun.” Ron knows that professional sport comes with pressure and expectation, but he says success can only be achieved by remembering the reason that we all started playing sport."

"We started playing because sport was fun."

"I grew up in Rockhampton and treasured the bus trips with my mates for games of rugby league and cricket in Bundaberg or Mackay or elsewhere. It was fun to spend time with mates and it was also fun to compete. Achieving goals on the field together was a huge part of that fun. When I made my NRL debut for the Canberra Raiders, I remember waking up that morning excited about playing footy."

"I played against the Bulldogs at Belmore Oval in a Raiders team featuring Ricky Stuart, Laurie Daley and Bradley Clyde. Our coach was Mal Meninga. If you couldn’t have fun playing alongside legends like that, you were in the wrong business."

Il 794xN1358247297 rtxh

If loving you is wrong...

"My sporting career had moved from the dry fields of central Queensland to nationally televised matches, but it was all underpinned by the excitement of playing and competing. We can’t lose sight of that as the Broncos prepare for a big day of travel to take on the New Zealand Warriors in Gosford. Yes, it’s been a tough time at the Broncos. There has been plenty written and said about us. But we can’t forget that we’ll be together on planes and buses today to do something that we have all loved doing since we were young."

"We don’t shy away from the expectations that have been set. This is professional sport and we understand its demands. We have the belief as a group, we get on well and we know that we have to improve. Let’s enjoy the challenge."

McHunt

Last edited:

"Over the past summer, one of the smartest basketball minds in the United States had a clear message for the Brisbane Broncos. Ron Adams is a 72-year-old assistant coach at the Golden State Warriors. Until last year, the Warriors had reached the NBA grand final in five straight years. Ron was a key part of those big moments."

"The Warriors weren’t going so well when COVID-19 stopped the NBA season, but they’ve got some promising young players emerging. I spent a day with Ron in San Francisco last summer and his message to me was clear: “Never lose the little boy inside of you – it always has to be fun.” Ron knows that professional sport comes with pressure and expectation, but he says success can only be achieved by remembering the reason that we all started playing sport."

"I grew up in Rockhampton and treasured the bus trips with my mates for games of rugby league and cricket in Bundaberg or Mackay or elsewhere. It was fun to spend time with mates and it was also fun to compete. Achieving goals on the field together was a huge part of that fun. When I made my NRL debut for the Canberra Raiders, I remember waking up that morning excited about playing footy."

"I played against the Bulldogs at Belmore Oval in a Raiders team featuring Ricky Stuart, Laurie Daley and Bradley Clyde. Our coach was Mal Meninga. If you couldn’t have fun playing alongside legends like that, you were in the wrong business."

View attachment 8464

"My sporting career had moved from the dry fields of central Queensland to nationally televised matches, but it was all underpinned by the excitement of playing and competing. We can’t lose sight of that as the Broncos prepare for a big day of travel to take on the New Zealand Warriors in Gosford. Yes, it’s been a tough time at the Broncos. There has been plenty written and said about us. But we can’t forget that we’ll be together on planes and buses today to do something that we have all loved doing since we were young."

"We don’t shy away from the expectations that have been set. This is professional sport and we understand its demands. We have the belief as a group, we get on well and we know that we have to improve. Let’s enjoy the challenge."

McHunt

Well I hope that the players, individually, and as a team, remain excited to play, and compete for 80 minutes

Well he’s got the looking like a little man child down. But is he still having fun?

View attachment 8464

McHunt
Maybe not reading the article in full has made it seem out of context, but the whole story confuses me.

Are we to assume that the reason for the Broncos slump is Pies is telling the players to play like little kids?

Their recent performances since they started back would suggest so. Indeed, I've never witnessed a Broncos side play so unstructured, undisciplined, uncaring and uncoordinated as this current bunch. All surefire characteristics of children at play.

Tonight's game will be such a watershed. I'll still be supporting them, but man, I'm so hoping they make me eat my words.

Maybe not reading the article in full has made it seem out of context, but the whole story confuses me.

Are we to assume that the reason for the Broncos slump is Pies is telling the players to play like little kids?

Their recent performances since they started back would suggest so. Indeed, I've never witnessed a Broncos side play so unstructured, undisciplined, uncaring and uncoordinated as this current bunch. All surefire characteristics of children at play.

Tonight's game will be such a watershed. I'll still be supporting them, but man, I'm so hoping they make me eat my words.
This is the full article, written by Seibold. I haven't fucked with it. Gives you an indication of what's at the front of his mind right now. Not much by the sound of it.

I've been saying for some time he looks dead behind the eyes. So does Milford. I'm wondering if the board has noticed the players look like they're just going through the motions, and have said something along those lines.

Last edited:
This is the full article, written by Seibold. I haven't fucked with it. Gives you an indication of what's at the front of his mind right now. Not much by the sound of it.
Zen?

I think the point being made is that the game should be fun regardless of the situation or place on the leaderboard. It is only a game and generally we all play games for fun. Sure, sometimes a nasty and vindictive game is the target but the reference to the little boy playing for fun is absolutely apt.

The CM somehow got this out of it:

Screenshot 2020 07 04 Seibolds plan to turn Broncos around
Screenshot 2020 07 04 The Courier Mail Breaking News Headlines for Brisbane and Queensland Cou

Holy **** why is he still saying shit in the media? He’s just digging a deeper hole for himself. It shows how insecure and unsure of himself he is. You don’t need to say this to the public. Just shut the **** up and get on with it behind closed doors. I hope we lose every game until he gets sacked.

Holy **** why is he still saying shit in the media? He’s just digging a deeper hole for himself. It shows how insecure and unsure of himself he is. You don’t need to say this to the public. Just shut the **** up and get on with it behind closed doors. I hope we lose every game until he gets sacked.

because he is the head coach of the Brisbane Broncos ... he is not permitted to ignore the media, the NRL won't allow it ... and i'm sure that neither the club or their major shareholders (who also happen to publish the newspaper this article was from) will allow him to ignore the media

Last edited:
I feel like Seibold is a smart guy. Rugby League isn’t a particularly smart game.

I read his comments like this, and whatever he was saying about rodeos last year, and listen to him talk about footy in statistics and variables. I feel like he really wants to be a Phil Jackson type. Phil brought that triangle offence to the bulls and once the team all bought into the philosophy, they went on to unprecedented success. Whatever Seibold’s version of triangle offence is, the players aren’t buying it. His overly analytical Phil Jackson approach hasn’t worked and now it’s obvious that he lacks the motivational basics of coaching. Something Phil Jackson is also amazing at.

because he is the head coach of the Brisbane Broncos ... he is not permitted to ignore the media, the NRL won't allow it ... and i'm sure that neither the club or their major shareholders (who also happen to publish the newspaper this article was from) will allow him to ignore the media

Yeah I understand that, but (and I’m not turning this into a Wayne v Seibold thing cause that’s been done to death) he should be more careful with what he puts out there. It reads like he’s trying to convince everyone he’s good

I have to admit I found Pies' really refreshing when he first arrived and made time for the media to explain what he was doing with the club. I thought it was so much better than grumpy old Clint's one word answers.

Now however, I wish he'd try the one word answers for a few months.

The point of what he is saying is simply that if you are not enjoying your footy, you won't play well. The players need to remember why they play; because they love the game.
Siebs is copping plenty of criticism, and rightly so, but I see nothing wrong with what he said here. I agree with it.

Yeah except he seems to be saying a lot more lately than I can ever remember him any time previously.
Now is probably not the time to be giving long statements to the media.
Sure don’t ignore them but just say we are working hard to turn it around etc.
Stories about road trips as a kid to Mackay etc. to play footy, while they have their place probably aren’t what’s needed now.
I note that successful coaches like Robinson who have the most to boast about don’t feed the media too much.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • thenry
  • Xzei
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • lynx000
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • RolledOates
  • theshed
  • Skathen
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wild Horse
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.