NEWS 'Abysmal, unacceptable': Legends unload on Broncos

I don't really have an issue and I don't really see why the NRL should want to close the "loophole".

To me from a high level it should play out something like:

- GI signs a contract for x dollars
- GI is unable to fulfill contract and decides to retire. In this sense the existing contract would be mutually terminated and therefore GI forfeits the x dollars. Similar to mutual agreement when a player moves due to home sickness.
- GI then signs a new contract for y dollars... To me Souths should have to wear the value of y in their salary cap until the length of the previous contract expires, as GI is still being paid by the club.

In this sense a player can retire whenever they want but they have to forfeit the value of that contract. If they then sign a new contract with that same club then the new value should be included in the club's salary cap. This would stop a player from retiring just to be rehired on a contract of the same value, but exempt from the cap, basically the Robbie Farah.

My understanding of the Watmough situation is parra were trying to medically retire him which would entitle Watmough to get paid out the remaining value on his contract and parra wouldn't have to wear it in the cap. But the injuries were preexisting so no dice.

If Boyd were to retire and get hired back by Brisbane then Brisbane just wear the cost of that new contract, but it would be much lower than previous playing contract, which then makes it a player's choice. Boyd could also retire and go and do something completely different, in that sense any income from that venture shouldn't come off the club's cap. Unless it was a sponsor or affiliated with the club ie an illegal TPA. Would be like a league's club hiring Boyd to pull beers at $300k a year.

Players shouldn't be forced to keep playing just to see out the contract and not impact on their current team... but they shouldn't have to then walk away from the game completely.

How many times do players retire and then come on as assistants, etc. to the club.

The game is what they know and they should be able to gain employment through it after they retire.

What's stopping them just saying to a player "keep signing one-two year deals and we'll take care of you after you retire"?
There would be a pretty significant risk to the player... all well and good to have a handshake deal but if there's a falling out or a "things change bro" from the club they're left high and dry with no income.

What you're explaining is what the Broncos do for long standing players. They retire but the broncos want to keep them around the club and offer them a new role. That being said I doubt the Broncos as a publicly listed company could be paying former players $500k a year pensions.

Every club would go broke under that model and they still need to get something from the money they give them.

I have been wondering (and I have little detail on either situation) but how is what Souths have done with Inglis different to what Wests wanted to do with Farah?

Wests didn't declare it, they promised him a job to sweeten him leaving for Souths but didn't tell the NRL that. You have to declare post career jobs and then the NRL decide if they're on the cap.

Souths have been up front with the Inglis deal, he's retiring he's on this, we want him to do this in retirement can his football money come off the cap.

Inglis would already have got 6 months of his 2019 salary so they're going to have to sort it out with the cap for this year but I have no issue with players retiring and not being on the cap.

You have to spend 95% of your cap though by June 30. Souths might not make that though.

This is my email and the full response FWIW

If a player decides to retire 2 years into a 4 year contract will the remaining 2 years stay on the cap. If the club chooses to honour the financial agreement even though the player retired will that payment then be included under the cap.

Thanks for your email.
Any payment made to a terminated player is included in the salary cap. This agreement must be signed by the club and the player.
Clubs may choose to split the amount included in the salary cap for the life of the contract (i.e. how many years a player is contracted for).
Any payment prior to termination is also included in the cap.
If he retires at his choice, the club should not be encumbered with a residual salary cap value unless they agree to a settlement. If the club tries to force the player to ‘retire’ he is entitled to negotiate a payout or not agree to be terminated and remain on contract.
If a player retires mid season, the amount he has been paid to date is included. If there is a payout, this would also be included.
In regards to medial termination/retirement, clubs must make two applications, one to the NRL for medical termination which still requires the club to pay the player but allows part or all of any termination to be excluded from the salary cap. The other is to the insurance company to cover the costs of the contracted termination players’ payments, in line with the terms and conditions of the insurance policy.
I hope this helps with your query and we thank you for taking the time to write to us.
Kind regards
Robert
Supporter Liaison

There would be a pretty significant risk to the player... all well and good to have a handshake deal but if there's a falling out or a "things change bro" from the club they're left high and dry with no income.

What you're explaining is what the Broncos do for long standing players. They retire but the broncos want to keep them around the club and offer them a new role. That being said I doubt the Broncos as a publicly listed company could be paying former players $500k a year pensions.

Every club would go broke under that model and they still need to get something from the money they give them.

All the better for clubs who are known for honesty and have the funds like the Broncos as well as clubs that have rich super fans like the rorters and Rabbits. What the club gets out of it is success on the field because quality players are less likely to leave and younger guns are more likely to sign knowing that the club will look after them.

All the better for clubs who are known for honesty and have the funds like the Broncos as well as clubs that have rich super fans like the rorters and Rabbits. What the club gets out of it is success on the field because quality players are less likely to leave and younger guns are more likely to sign knowing that the club will look after them.
Rich super fans? Where? One thing the fans of these clubs (or any club) will never be mistaken for is being wealthy. The owners are pretty rich though. The Rooster fanbase is dwindling because of the lack of support for the game in the inner city. Even South's supporters come from Western Sydney. Redfern is transforming from a dump to 2 bedroom units going for a million minimum . Sydney's population is becoming very diverse (as is Brisbane) with many Chinese immigrants who have no interest in the game. These immigrants are settling near the CBD and it's hard to imagine a club like the Roosters lasting that much longer because their fanbase is minimal.

Rich super fans? Where? One thing the fans of these clubs (or any club) will never be mistaken for is being wealthy. The owners are pretty rich though. The Rooster fanbase is dwindling because of the lack of support for the game in the inner city. Even South's supporters come from Western Sydney. Redfern is transforming from a dump to 2 bedroom units going for a million minimum . Sydney's population is becoming very diverse (as is Brisbane) with many Chinese immigrants who have no interest in the game. These immigrants are settling near the CBD and it's hard to imagine a club like the Roosters lasting that much longer because their fanbase is minimal.

Roosters will last at least until Politis checks out. After that though- who knows.

I see no problem with the club not carrying GI's salary on the cap IF he isn't paid that salary, which is what is reported has been agreed to

The problem comes in when clubs and retiring players claim it won't be paid, but they pay it anyway

I mean, who is actually checking to make sure Souths/Rusty doesn't pay Greg the 1.5m?

Why can't clubs pay out a contract and have that value removed from the cap on the provisio that player cannot resign with the club ever again.

Why can't clubs pay out a contract and have that value removed from the cap on the provisio that player cannot resign with the club ever again.

Because then you can sign a $1 million player on his last year to a 2 year, $500k a year deal, he retires after that one year, gets paid the full $1 million but the club only has $500k of it included in the cap.

Because then you can sign a $1 million player on his last year to a 2 year, $500k a year deal, he retires after that one year, gets paid the full $1 million but the club only has $500k of it included in the cap.

Could you not set a retirement age based on average (say 32). Then that payout will only apply to the years that they are aged before the retirement age.

So if a 33 year old attempted that, they would recieve zero payout. If a 31 year attempted it, they would recieve at most 1 year payout. 30 would recieve at most 2 years.

If all is above board, I dont see a problem with his unpaid wage being removed from the playing cap. If he is involved with the club in the footy department his wages should come off that cap. Though I dont think being an ambassador would qualify?

What position worth 300k could he competently fill? 300 fucking k. Keep in mind this is a guy who has trouble counting and thinks planes don't fly in the rain.

The NRL has not made a ruling on it yet. Souths have to submit the application and then the NRL will consider it. My guess it will depend on what other clubs play their "ambassadors". Granted Inglis is a big name and he was integral in their most recent premiership, but (admittedly, without knowing what others are paid) $300k seems an awful lot.

The truth behind the great Greg Inglis Brisbane backflip
30a8840799ad40f749ca148d8aa1814e

Retired superstar Greg Inglis was the Broncos’ ultimate “one that got away” and for the first time it can be revealed that one of the major factors in his decision to turn his back on Brisbane was club legend Gorden Tallis.
In Broncos folklore it is known as the great GI backflip: the stunning about-face that saw arguably the best player in rugby league renege on a handshake agreement with Brisbane to instead transform the Rabbitohs from cellar-dwellers to premiership heavyweights.
And eight and a half years later Broncos insiders are still trying to work out what happened.
cb9f98683f704ff2358821b408bf0c41

Gorden Tallis with a young Greg Inglis in 2006. If not for a phone call from the Broncos legend the Storm superstar could have played for Brisbane.
When Greg Inglis boarded a plane at Brisbane Airport on Friday October 29, 2010 to spend the weekend in Sydney, Broncos executives expected him back on Monday November 1 to sign a contract worth $1.2 million over three years.
On the Sunday night Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen received a call at home from the club’s football manager Andrew Gee.
LISTEN! Matty reveals his favourite Inglis memories, the impact of retirement on a player and dissects the five-eighths who are setting the competition alight. Paul Kent and James Hooper join Matty for Australia’s No.1 sports podcast.
“I think we might have a problem,” Gee said. “Greg’s just rung me. He says he’s not coming back because it’s raining in Sydney and the planes aren’t flying.”
“That doesn’t sound good,” said Cullen.
Indeed it wasn’t. For the previous week Inglis had been enjoying the company of his Origin teammate and potential Broncos centre partner Justin Hodges, driving around in a car provided by the club and scouting out possible properties for sale or rent.
455126825f94daab63f5b7d8493a1ce8

Justin Hodges was seen as a key factor in luring his Origin teammate Greg Inglis to the Broncos for the 2011 season. Picture: Adam Head
With Inglis being squeezed out of Melbourne following the Storm’s salary cap scandal, and making it known he wanted to live in Brisbane so his partner Sally Robinson could be close to her family, negotiations between Gee, Inglis and his manager Allan Gainey had gone smoothly.
A stumbling block had been the repayment of a $113,000 legal bill that the Storm had paid barrister Robert Richter QC on behalf of Inglis to handle the successful defence of an assault charge seven months earlier.
With salary cap concerns of their own the Broncos were adamant that they wouldn’t pay the debt but the issue was not insurmountable. A local professional man and dedicated Broncos supporter had advised Cullen that he would contribute “whatever it takes” as a third-party deal under NRL rules to secure the superstar’s signature.
With that offer in writing and Inglis seemingly looking forward to linking with his Origin teammates Darren Lockyer, Sam Thaiday and Hodges at the Broncos, Cullen and Gee had no reason to believe that they had not tied up the perfect replacement for the AFL-bound Israel Folau.
What they didn’t know was that Hodges wasn’t the only friend that Inglis had caught up with during his week in Brisbane.
Also in town was boxer Anthony Mundine who was in training for a December 8 bout with Garth Wood. He and Inglis met and discussed the Test centre’s situation.
A former South Sydney junior who played for the Broncos in 1997, Mundine worked out of his father’s gym in Redfern and had become close to Rabbitohs owner Russell Crowe through the club’s strong indigenous community welfare program.
When Inglis told Mundine that a role as an indigenous ambassador was part of Brisbane’s offer, Mundine was dismissive.
“They’re doing nothing for our people,” he said. “If you want to make a difference you should go to Souths.”
It is believed Mundine then rang Oscar winner Crowe, who immediately flew to Brisbane and the three men met two days before Inglis headed down to Sydney.
fed120fe95aa49c3375888ec17e7cfa7

Anthony Mundine and Russell Crowe combined forces to deliver a knockout blow to the Broncos hopes. Picture: Justin Lloyd
It was then that Broncos legend Gorden Tallis became involved – for the other side.
Former Brisbane captain Tallis, who had played 160 games for the club and later that year would be inducted into the Broncos Hall of Fame, was at the time the Rabbitohs’ forwards coach.
“Russell Crowe rang me and asked me if I’d do him a favour and call Greg Inglis,” Tallis said. “I said sure. I was working for Souths at the time and I gave Greg my honest opinion.
“I told him if he wanted to win a premiership that Souths was the club to go to. I can tell a winning club when I see one and they were building towards something.
“I still remember where I was when I spoke to him – in the backyard of my house at Chapel Hill. I was speaking from a football point of view. One club was going places, the other one was standing still. That’s what I told him, and I was right.”
43604ae6fc41e12ba75abae8725eec08

Greg Inglis seals the Rabbitohs 2014 grand final win over the Bulldogs - for the Broncos a case of what might have been. Picture: Renee McKay/Getty Images)
Within 24 hours the deal with South Sydney was finalised. Four years later the Rabbitohs won the NRL grand final with Greg Inglis scoring the final try in their 30-6 win over the Bulldogs.
And the Broncos, whose last premiership was in 2006, can only dream of what might have been.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...p/news-story/6383859d62a7ed5b55f773285fdbeb06

Tallis saves the world again. Is there anything this man can't do?

Lol has any man done more to **** over the club that made him more than Tallis. What a ****.

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.