NEWS 'Abysmal, unacceptable': Legends unload on Broncos

Discussion in 'Brisbane Broncos Talk' started by Super Freak, Apr 6, 2019.

boydd-190404_gt_23.jpg

‘Abysmal, unacceptable’: Legends unload on Broncos after belting

April 5, 2019

Brisbane and Queensland legends have ripped into Broncos players, labelling them “soft” and challenging besieged coach Anthony Seibold to find some answers to his side’s insipid start to the season.

The Broncos’ 36-4 drubbing against the Roosters on Thursday night was among their worst defeats of the past decade — evoking images of Canberra’s 56-0 hammering of Brisbane under Ivan Henjak in 2009.

Maroons icon Paul Vautin, usually praiseworthy in his Channel 9 commentary role, unloaded on the Broncos, describing their defence as “disgraceful” and calling for Seibold to make urgent changes to his playmaking spine.

Vautin found allies in former Brisbane Test stars Steve Renouf and Greg Dowling, who took aim at the Broncos’ misfiring forward pack and implored them to muscle-up against the Wests Tigers this Thursday night.

The Broncos enter the Round 5 clash at Suncorp Stadium with a 1-3 record. The last Brisbane team to register a 1-3 start was the class of 2013, who ultimately missed the finals and crashed to 12th — leading to the sacking of coach Anthony Griffin.

Dowling, a foundation Broncos prop, is one of Queensland and Australia’s toughest front-rowers, giving him the pedigree to question a Brisbane pack that was monstered in midfield by the Roosters.

“Some individuals didn’t have a dig,” Dowling said.

“It will take the team a while to gel under Seibold’s structures but that shouldn’t stop blokes having a go.

“To be ripped apart like that, I was stunned.

“I thought, ‘Jesus Christ’, that’s unacceptable. It was soft.

“Defence is what premierships are built on and it gives confidence to your attack.

“As a prop I have been there and done it. I know what it takes to set the platform.

“The current Broncos forwards have to look at each other and say, ‘We aren’t having a dig, we’re really not’.”

Centre icon Renouf, Brisbane’s greatest tryscorer with 142 tries from 183 games, fears the Broncos lack the midfield firepower to challenge the NRL big guns.

“We just lacked fire. Simple as that,” he said.

“They just got rolled by the Roosters. They weren’t in the same league as the Roosters and that is the blind truth.

“We have a young forward pack and I understand they will be up and down with their performances because of their lack of maturity, but there’s no excuse for a lack of effort.

“It was a real hiding. Seibold would be disappointed. He would have wanted a better start coming up here, especially with the circumstances around his arrival at the Broncos after leaving Souths.”

Dowling added: “There is pressure on Seibold like he wouldn’t believe.

“With every loss, it’s going to get worse for him. Especially with what went on ... the Broncos were desperate to get him there and sack Wayne, well now he has to deliver.”

Speaking on Channel 9, Vautin blasted skipper Darius Boyd and suggested he move from fullback to five-eighth.

“Darius looks off to me,” Vautin said. “His defence to me is abysmal.

“Especially close to the line, he is coming up with cold misses.

“The coach needs to mix things up a bit. Four rounds and only the one win, they need a change in the halves.

“I love Kodi Nikorima (halfback) as a player but maybe put him on the bench for some dummy-half (spark) with (Anthony) Milford to half and Darius to five-eighth.”

Source: Courier Mail

Tags:
  1. Alec

Alec International Rep

I like Fatty, buy his suggestions often seem bad. Moving Boyd or even Bird into the halves will make Milford's job, something he's struggling to adjust to, even tougher.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  2. I actually think getting Darius into 6 or centre is not a bad idea at all, he won't be a Lockyer but he will be a decent 5/8 and Milford is just going to have to run the team. Until we get a 7 that can actually handle first grade the best we can do is play musical chairs with the players we have until we find something that sticks.

Boyd is no longer a fullback but I think he can be a good player again from a different position. I really, really like Darius, but I really can no longer defend him at fullback and if he can't step up at centre or 5/8 he's going to have to play his career out in reserves.

Boyd doesn't want to tackle anyone, let's move him to Five-Eighth where he will be forced to make 500% more tackles per game.

Premium suggestion.

3. theshed

theshed NRL Player

Well unfortunately not tackling isn’t an option in first grade so he can either grow a heart or piss off and retire.

heartly87, LGH, Battler and 3 others like this.
  4. Broncapz

Broncapz QCup Player

I'd like to see Boyd moved to wing or centre with Roberts on his wing. Our halves are creating a real headache for us defensively, so I'd like to see Bird to 6 to cover that, and throw Staggs on as a starter. cenre We also need to begin the transitioning out of Macca. Is Tuprin close to being ready?

5. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

Wing or bust for boyd. Why move him to centre and block staggs path? Look to the future.

LGH, teampjta and Culhwch like this.
  6. Jedhead

Jedhead NRL Player

It's no use being half pregnant. Boyd is either useless and needs to go or we persist with him. He has said himself that he has never felt fitter and never ran faster, yet he refuses to tackle or even put his body in the way of the attacking player. He is suffering a lack of confidence and needs to be rested. Preferably for good.

teampjta likes this.
  7. FaithinHook

FaithinHook NRL Player

The problem is, Seibold had the luxury at Souths of having Reynolds, Cook and Alex Johnston in the positions we are sadly lacking in. It is a real conundrum in so far as do we move blokes into new positions, do we bring in young untested players, do we persist and hope it all comes good?

How long can this mediocrity go on for while we tell ourselves it takes time for these new structures of Seibold's to be learnt by the players. We got used to mediocrity being rewarded last season and by the way things look and feel at the moment, Seibold will carry on with the same bad habits and ultimately it is us paying fans who have to watch this diabolical shit week after week.

Seibold will either prove he is a genius or a one season wonder but at the moment it is not looking too flash for him.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    teampjta likes this.
  8. Morkel

Morkel

“The forward pack got rolled and torn apart by the Roosters...” so make urgent changes to the spine? Are these guys even watching the games or are they gorging on gourmet sausage rolls and casually glancing at jersey numbers to call the play?

Completion rate. It’s all it is.

rnabokov, jarro65 and teampjta like this.
  9. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    I'm not sure that's all it is. We had one of, if not the best completion rate in the NRL last season and we still conceded an unacceptable about of points.

teampjta likes this.
  10. Stix

Stix NRL Player

Dearden or SOS to halfback, Niko to 6, Milf to fullback. Boyd to peel the oranges.

11. Accept

Accept NRL Player

Sawtell
    What's with this obsession with SOS? He doesn't look like a first grader in any way imaginable. He is the perfect second tier HB only used in first grade because of absolute desperation. We are not at that point yet.

Locky's Left Boot and rnabokov like this.
  12. Wolfie

Wolfie State of Origin Rep

And defence tbf. 156 missed tackles in 4 games is very average.

teampjta likes this.
  13. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

That's Macca and Boyds fault mate. They need to go.

teampjta and Wolfie like this.
  14. broncsgoat

broncsgoat NRL Player

There would be more missed tackles if boyd actually attempted to tackle people

Art Vandelay and teampjta like this.
  15. Morkel

Morkel

The Strapper likes this.
  16. badyon

badyon QCup Player

1. Losing to the premiers and one of the best sides in the comp, away from home, and we were still in the game with 15 mins to go.

2. Losing 56_0 to a side that finishes the year in 13th.

Pick one as the worst loss in history. It's a good test of your rugby league judgement.

I watched all 80 mins of the raiders loss , literally forced myself through it, and it was 1000 times worse than this week... and we still made the prelim final that year.

Long season to go.

Lets give Seibs , and the boys who are performing, more than one month before writing dogshit reporting.

17. Stu_9

Stu_9 QCup Player

I got an idea, Darius to Q up.

Wild Horse and Nashy like this.
  18. Morkel

Morkel

If memory serves correct, that really was the only game I've ever watched where the entire loss was down to one single player. Steve Michaels was just **** lost in defence, everyone was compensating for him and therefore leaving gaps elsewhere. We hooked him the next week, he was never seen in our jersey again, and we were a 100% better team for it moving on. I don't mean to bag him out, he did the best he could, he just got cooked and never recovered.

mrslong likes this.