NEWS 'Abysmal, unacceptable': Legends unload on Broncos

1. Losing to the premiers and one of the best sides in the comp, away from home, and we were still in the game with 15 mins to go.

2. Losing 56_0 to a side that finishes the year in 13th.

Pick one as the worst loss in history. It's a good test of your rugby league judgement.

I watched all 80 mins of the raiders loss , literally forced myself through it, and it was 1000 times worse than this week... and we still made the prelim final that year.

Long season to go.

Lets give Seibs , and the boys who are performing, more than one month before writing dogshit reporting.

If memory serves correct, that really was the only game I've ever watched where the entire loss was down to one single player. Steve Michaels was just fucking lost in defence, everyone was compensating for him and therefore leaving gaps elsewhere. We hooked him the next week, he was never seen in our jersey again, and we were a 100% better team for it moving on. I don't mean to bag him out, he did the best he could, he just got cooked and never recovered.

I actually don’t think the halves are a problem and I know this will be controversial but this team can score points.

Even in the Roosters game, three clear tries were bombed and another one or two looked extremely threatening. There are three bigger problems that can be fixed fairly quickly:

1. Attitude - This is absolutely the biggest one and it comes from the top down. Darius preferably should be dropped or “rested” but he won’t be as captain so put him on the wing. With Boyd as captain though, this will be the hardest one to fix. The Cows game shows what this side can do though when their heads are in the game. There is just a total leadership vacuum in this side and the only way to fix it in the short-term is make your terrible captain accountable.

2. Defense - The amount of missed tackles is atrocious. That said, there is an even bigger problem and that is everyone goes high and/or arm grabs which means almost every tackle, the runner makes a bucketload or post-contact meters. The other problem as well is that somehow, despite tacklers constantly going high, every second runner pops an offload somehow. There also seems to be no communication. Siebs need to spend the next two months purely focusing on defense, don’t even worry about attack, it is good enough already.

3. Accountability - Well lack there of. It doesn’t matter how good or bad your halves are if you drop the ball literally every second run. Get your players to spend the week walking around with a ball in their hands at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Schoolboy way of fixing schoolboy errors. Drop Isaako and earn Oates. Start making the idiots accountable. Get Boyd out of fullback ASAP and give Macca help from the bench, make the weak links accountable. Play TPJ and Joffa from the bench, make a starting role a privilege and along those lines, absolutely start Staggs and Fifita. Let Su’A redevelop as a backrower in Qld Cup and tell him he’s a legit shot at Glenn’s role once his fitness is back up and he’s performing.

I don’t think wholesale changes are needed, just some minor positional rearrangement and one or two players bought in.

If memory serves correct, that really was the only game I've ever watched where the entire loss was down to one single player. Steve Michaels was just fucking lost in defence, everyone was compensating for him and therefore leaving gaps elsewhere. We hooked him the next week, he was never seen in our jersey again, and we were a 100% better team for it moving on. I don't mean to bag him out, he did the best he could, he just got cooked and never recovered.

He looked so good until he did his knee and that was it, all over sadly.

I actually don’t think the halves are a problem and I know this will be controversial but this team can score points.

Even in the Roosters game, three clear tries were bombed and another one or two looked extremely threatening. There are three bigger problems that can be fixed fairly quickly:

1. Attitude - This is absolutely the biggest one and it comes from the top down. Darius preferably should be dropped or “rested” but he won’t be as captain so put him on the wing. With Boyd as captain though, this will be the hardest one to fix. The Cows game shows what this side can do though when their heads are in the game. There is just a total leadership vacuum in this side and the only way to fix it in the short-term is make your terrible captain accountable.

2. Defense - The amount of missed tackles is atrocious. That said, there is an even bigger problem and that is everyone goes high and/or arm grabs which means almost every tackle, the runner makes a bucketload or post-contact meters. The other problem as well is that somehow, despite tacklers constantly going high, every second runner pops an offload somehow. There also seems to be no communication. Siebs need to spend the next two months purely focusing on defense, don’t even worry about attack, it is good enough already.

3. Accountability - Well lack there of. It doesn’t matter how good or bad your halves are if you drop the ball literally every second run. Get your players to spend the week walking around with a ball in their hands at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Schoolboy way of fixing schoolboy errors. Drop Isaako and earn Oates. Start making the idiots accountable. Get Boyd out of fullback ASAP and give Macca help from the bench, make the weak links accountable. Play TPJ and Joffa from the bench, make a starting role a privilege and along those lines, absolutely start Staggs and Fifita. Let Su’A redevelop as a backrower in Qld Cup and tell him he’s a legit shot at Glenn’s role once his fitness is back up and he’s performing.

I don’t think wholesale changes are needed, just some minor positional rearrangement and one or two players bought in.
Nailed it. And 2 & 3 flow on from poor 1. We've seen evidence of how much talent this team has - you don't just lose ability.

3. Accountability - Well lack there of. It doesn’t matter how good or bad your halves are if you drop the ball literally every second run. Get your players to spend the week walking around with a ball in their hands at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Schoolboy way of fixing schoolboy errors. Drop Isaako and earn Oates. Start making the idiots accountable. Get Boyd out of fullback ASAP and give Macca help from the bench, make the weak links accountable. Play TPJ and Joffa from the bench, make a starting role a privilege and along those lines, absolutely start Staggs and Fifita. Let Su’A redevelop as a backrower in Qld Cup and tell him he’s a legit shot at Glenn’s role once his fitness is back up and he’s performing

Someone on here seems to think rationally. Thank you Sproj

1. Losing to the premiers and one of the best sides in the comp, away from home, and we were still in the game with 15 mins to go.

2. Losing 56_0 to a side that finishes the year in 13th.

Pick one as the worst loss in history. It's a good test of your rugby league judgement.

I watched all 80 mins of the raiders loss , literally forced myself through it, and it was 1000 times worse than this week... and we still made the prelim final that year.

Long season to go.

Lets give Seibs , and the boys who are performing, more than one month before writing dogshit reporting.

But we’re we ever close to being in the game?

The scoreboard flattered us in the end

Tbf, whilst the forwards can and will pick up, we could play another 50 games with this spine and I doubt anything would change

I think you have nailed the three biggest issues here. In regards to fullback, yes boyd is having a shocking year so far defensively but swapping him out we might get someone to play better as a fullback but I don't think we have anyone who has the capability of seeing the game and organising the rest of team defense from fullback like boyd can. He is NOT doing this at the moment but I don't think anyone else will do it any better unless we actually buy an entrenched fullback which we don't have. The biggest problems I see come down to the defensive structures as whole, we have completely lost any semblance of any type of slide defence in any position on the field. The way our structure works at the moment we actually isolate our own defensive players, the attackers done need to try to hard to isolate people we are doing that to ourselves. Even in regards to the halves, yes they will always be targeted eve4y teams halves are targeted in defence but good teams work in structures to help protect their halves. I haven't looked at the stats but I could say with all confidence that our halves are making more tackles than any other teams halves. I truly think the entire defensive structure needs an overhaul. I don't know if anyone is available but I really think a new good dedicated defensive coach needs to be brought in to help with the defensive structure and also the simple things of how to actually tackle. Attack doesn't worry me at this stage at all. We can score points. The problem stems from our defence which not only fatigues our players but if you're constantly defending you lose game confidence then the fatigue causes stupid errors which further erodes confidence and you end up in a downward spiral which is very hard to get out of in a game especially when it is affecting the whole team. When it is one or two players having this problem it can be managed the issue is it is the majority of the team. When it is the majority not the minority it's time to say there is an issue with the tactics being employed in defence or the type of defensive training being undertaken. The players have a huge burden of guilt to cope in this department but so do the coaching staff. And the coaching staff are the only ones who can really affect any change wether that be through changing the structures, tactics, attitude or frankly putting a rocket up players asses. It will be interesting to see what and how they decide to go about it. I don't think any changes to players without fixing the other problems will work. Maybe it will in regards to attitude but I think the problem is further entrenched in the structures of defence than just attitude. People keep talking about a change to the halves but then don't think about the fact that our halves are making big amounts of tackles compared to every other half, if we were to throw one of the young guys in they wouldn't handle it and that would do more damage to their confidence then any good. Once defence is fixed, then it might be worth looking at player changes once it is only 1 or 2 players with issues rather then the whole team.

I think you have nailed the three biggest issues here. In regards to fullback, yes boyd is having a shocking year so far defensively but swapping him out we might get someone to play better as a fullback but I don't think we have anyone who has the capability of seeing the game and organising the rest of team defense from fullback like boyd can. He is NOT doing this at the moment but I don't think anyone else will do it any better unless we actually buy an entrenched fullback which we don't have. The biggest problems I see come down to the defensive structures as whole, we have completely lost any semblance of any type of slide defence in any position on the field. The way our structure works at the moment we actually isolate our own defensive players, the attackers done need to try to hard to isolate people we are doing that to ourselves. Even in regards to the halves, yes they will always be targeted eve4y teams halves are targeted in defence but good teams work in structures to help protect their halves. I haven't looked at the stats but I could say with all confidence that our halves are making more tackles than any other teams halves. I truly think the entire defensive structure needs an overhaul. I don't know if anyone is available but I really think a new good dedicated defensive coach needs to be brought in to help with the defensive structure and also the simple things of how to actually tackle. Attack doesn't worry me at this stage at all. We can score points. The problem stems from our defence which not only fatigues our players but if you're constantly defending you lose game confidence then the fatigue causes stupid errors which further erodes confidence and you end up in a downward spiral which is very hard to get out of in a game especially when it is affecting the whole team. When it is one or two players having this problem it can be managed the issue is it is the majority of the team. When it is the majority not the minority it's time to say there is an issue with the tactics being employed in defence or the type of defensive training being undertaken. The players have a huge burden of guilt to cope in this department but so do the coaching staff. And the coaching staff are the only ones who can really affect any change wether that be through changing the structures, tactics, attitude or frankly putting a rocket up players asses. It will be interesting to see what and how they decide to go about it. I don't think any changes to players without fixing the other problems will work. Maybe it will in regards to attitude but I think the problem is further entrenched in the structures of defence than just attitude. People keep talking about a change to the halves but then don't think about the fact that our halves are making big amounts of tackles compared to every other half, if we were to throw one of the young guys in they wouldn't handle it and that would do more damage to their confidence then any good. Once defence is fixed, then it might be worth looking at player changes once it is only 1 or 2 players with issues rather then the whole team.

Gee more sense being talked about instead of knejerk stuff. What a refreshing change.

I'd like to see Boyd moved to wing or centre with Roberts on his wing. Our halves are creating a real headache for us defensively, so I'd like to see Bird to 6 to cover that, and throw Staggs on as a starter. cenre We also need to begin the transitioning out of Macca. Is Tuprin close to being ready?
I dontthink Turpin is up to it word Im getting is maybe Paix on the bench

Good post, good points.

It would be even better if you split it up into "bite site" paragraphs to make it easy to read :)

Use a fuckin paragraph break Ffs!

When talking about the Broncos worst recruiting blunders, it amazes me they don’t bring up keeping Michaels over Boyd.

I saw a few “isaako is the worst winger in Broncos colours”, and I’m like over here screaming STEVE MICHAELS fools.

When talking about the Broncos worst recruiting blunders, it amazes me they don’t bring up keeping Michaels over Boyd.

I saw a few “isaako is the worst winger in Broncos colours”, and I’m like over here screaming STEVE MICHAELS fools.

I’ve said it before, multiple times, and will keep saying it - Kaine Manihera guuuuuuuyyyss.

I’ve said it before, multiple times, and will keep saying it - Kaine Manihera guuuuuuuyyyss.
The name sounds familiar....perhaps my subconscious has blocked him from my memory?

For mine, having the "legends" say things as Dowling did: "There is pressure on Seibold like he wouldn’t believe.

“With every loss, it’s going to get worse for him. Especially with what went on ... the Broncos were desperate to get him there and sack Wayne, well now he has to deliver.”

.... is bloody pathetic, and has totally the opposite effect of what is needed here, and that is constructive criticism which focuses on the problems on the field, and looks for solutions which gives our team self belief, rather than Dowling's obvious Bennet-love, with public comments which sets everyone up to fail.

Pull your bloody head in Dowling.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the 'old boys' were secretly wishing Seibold to fail.

For mine, having the "legends" say things as Dowling did: "There is pressure on Seibold like he wouldn’t believe.

“With every loss, it’s going to get worse for him. Especially with what went on ... the Broncos were desperate to get him there and sack Wayne, well now he has to deliver.”

.... is bloody pathetic, and has totally the opposite effect of what is needed here, and that is constructive criticism which focuses on the problems on the field, and looks for solutions which gives our team self belief, rather than Dowling's obvious Bennet-love, with public comments which sets everyone up to fail.

Pull your bloody head in Dowling.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • mrslong
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Gaz
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • bert_lifts
  • Strop
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • jd87
  • Allo
  • broncs30
  • lynx000
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manifesto
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 67 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.