PLAYER Adam Reynolds

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Lots of halves- young ones mainly rely on skill and instincts not understanding the game.

Do you think Thurston could better understand manipulation of a defence at the Bulldogs or Cowboys in 2015?

I bet if you could stop mid game and ask a young half why did you turn that player under? A lot would say not too sure.

Then it's another layer again to be able to explain it to someone so they better understand- that takes, knowledge, experience and leadership. The Broncos cup wasn't exactly full of that.
I seem to be missing your point mate. Of the five halves you mentioned there was only one (Deardon) who could be considered as an inexperienced rookie. Kelly was coming towards the end of his career and as I previously mentioned Milford and Croft had served under the two best coaches the NRL has produced to date. One of them going to within an ant's baw hair of winning a GF in 2015.

So to bring it back to the point I was making. Pies at that time had plenty of experience in the halves that could have picked up those strategic planned moves if....and this is my main point if Pies and his coaching staff had focused on doing that. Instead they played loud music and ran around flattering to deceive. It was fairly obvious that aside from Boyd's sweep play the only other thing they knew was "give to Milf to put up a bomb on the fifth". Our attack was non-existent and as a result we were unable to put teams under sustained pressure. The 58 -0 point scoreline against the Eels brutally confirmed that.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I seem to be missing your point mate. Of the five halves you mentioned there was only one (Deardon) who could be considered as an inexperienced rookie. Kelly was coming towards the end of his career and as I previously mentioned Milford and Croft had served under the two best coaches the NRL has produced to date. One of them going to within an ant's baw hair of winning a GF in 2015.

So to bring it back to the point I was making. Pies at that time had plenty of experience in the halves that could have picked up those strategic planned moves if....and this is my main point if Pies and his coaching staff had focused on doing that. Instead they played load music and ran around flattering to deceive. It was fairly obvious that aside from Boyd's sweep play the only other thing they knew was "give to Milf to put up a bomb on the fifth". Our attack was non-existent and as a result we were unable to put teams under sustained pressure. The 58 -0 point scoreline against the Eels brutally confirmed that.

If your Bennett point was accurate the Broncos wouldn't have gone from 02-22 without a half back.

My point is it's not all on Seibold because halves/players not understanding the game is a game wide issue and not that uncommon.

Like the last 20 years at the Broncos for example.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
In 2021 Kevvie was too busy trying to sort the roster out with DD. We had too many dickheads who thought they knew best.
If we never got Reyno I think the re-build would have taken much longer.
This, but also if you remember our team in 2021... We were flat-out able to hold the ball for a set without making an error. We also couldn't get through a set defensively without conceding a linebreak or a try, it was embarrassing stuff. Kevy dished out a few sprays at training (remembering the "we're not fucking good enough for that yet" spray). He just got the guys to focus on running the ball and kicking to corners. Once they got the message, they actually played some good gritty football towards the end of the 2021 season.

Reyno coming to the club obviously at its lowest point and was obviously on a high after after playing a GF with souths, its probably going to be chalk and cheese but I think the simple parts of playing footy were already fixed by the time he got here. We had good wins against the warriors, sharks and knights and went pretty close to downing the panthers as well. They were wins that were just pure hard work, determination playing simple football. We have Kevy to thank for that. If we had have faded miserably in the back end of the season I would say it could be seen as a stain on Kevy's coaching ability but even the experts agree we were a different side at the end of 2021 which is all we can ask.

Ultimately I don't think Reyno coming to the club and the players not knowing basic attacking structures, is particularly reflective of Kevys coaching ability. I think its pretty reflective of the opposite.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
This, but also if you remember our team in 2021... We were flat-out able to hold the ball for a set without making an error. We also couldn't get through a set defensively without conceding a linebreak or a try, it was embarrassing stuff. Kevy dished out a few sprays at training (remembering the "we're not fucking good enough for that yet" spray). He just got the guys to focus on running the ball and kicking to corners. Once they got the message, they actually played some good gritty football towards the end of the 2021 season.

Reyno coming to the club obviously at its lowest point and was obviously on a high after after playing a GF with souths, its probably going to be chalk and cheese but I think the simple parts of playing footy were already fixed by the time he got here. We had good wins against the warriors, sharks and knights and went pretty close to downing the panthers as well. They were wins that were just pure hard work, determination playing simple football. We have Kevy to thank for that. If we had have faded miserably in the back end of the season I would say it could be seen as a stain on Kevy's coaching ability but even the experts agree we were a different side at the end of 2021 which is all we can ask.

Ultimately I don't think Reyno coming to the club and the players not knowing basic attacking structures, is particularly reflective of Kevys coaching ability. I think its pretty reflective of the opposite.
Re: your last point - i don't either I think it was a reflection on Siebold's 'methods'.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Re: your last point - i don't either I think it was a reflection on Siebold's 'methods'.
Siebold apparently had an attacking play for every position on the field which was far to confusing for the likes of Isaako, Milford and the like. I think that's a bigger story than the one News.com.au ran on Kevy.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Porthoz
  • Jedhead
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Lurker
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.