AUS FOOTBALL AFL Grand Final 2023 - Collingwood v Brisbane

Bandwagon question for @Sproj, are the commentators always so one-sided?

I was watching the Fox Footy coverage and they were almost willing Carlton to victory. Is the female comentator a former staffer of the Blues? Seemed to know all the ins and outs on Cripps, didn't have much to say about the Lions.

I was watching the Fox Footy coverage and they were almost willing Carlton to victory. Is the female comentator a former staffer of the Blues? Seemed to know all the ins and outs on Cripps, didn't have much to say about the Lions.
Speaking for Sproj here but they all hate anything outside of Victoria. Lions in the final is a nightmare for them which is why they were begging Carlton to win.

As @broncos4life said, the commentators are disgustingly Victoria-centric. Carlton is a massive Victorian club and they haven't made a GF in a long time. Carlton v Collingwood was a Victoria-centric dream result as they are two of the biggest clubs in the league.

Brisbane making the GF is inconvenient because they have an excellent record against Collingwood, the only team in recent years that does. Brisbane should be favourites and that is bad new for Victoria for obvious reasons.

Basically, there is just ridiculous amounts of Victoria bias in the AFL.

I was thinking the same thing. One of the commentator's where like if carlton can score here the crowd is going to go nuts. I was like we are playing at the gabba. Was our home crowd out numbered?

I was thinking the same thing. One of the commentator's where like if carlton can score here the crowd is going to go nuts. I was like we are playing at the gabba. Was our home crowd out numbered?

About 60% us 40% them and this was my concern with having the Broncs on at the same time. I am sure a lot of fans would have loved to have gone to both and then we would have had like 80-20.

You also have to remember that Carlton are a huge club and haven't been to finals for a long time, so they had a lot of fans willing to make the trip.

As nothing more than a bandwagon fan at best. What chances of the Lions winning?

I actually used to really follow hawthorn but now that they’re crap I’ve leapt off them back on to the lions all day long day one baby. Yew.

As nothing more than a bandwagon fan at best. What chances of the Lions winning?

I actually used to really follow hawthorn but now that they’re crap I’ve leapt off them back on to the lions all day long day one baby. Yew.

Very, very good.

Basically, there are two things at play here though:
1. We have a fantastic recent record against Collingwood, we really trouble them and handle them well + we beat them in two GFs in a row 20 years ago
2. We have a terrible recent record at the MCG, and it is abysmal and who knows why that is

If this was being played at the Gabba, we'd be one of the shortest priced favourites in history. Because it is at the MCG though, Collingwood are a chance.

I think we'll do it though, very confident.

Very, very good.

Basically, there are two things at play here though:
1. We have a fantastic recent record against Collingwood, we really trouble them and handle them well + we beat them in two GFs in a row 20 years ago
2. We have a terrible recent record at the MCG, and it is abysmal and who knows why that is

If this was being played at the Gabba, we'd be one of the shortest priced favourites in history. Because it is at the MCG though, Collingwood are a chance.

I think we'll do it though, very confident.
Ok I hope we win. I have a lot of long suffering Lions fans as friends so will be happy for them.

About 60% us 40% them and this was my concern with having the Broncs on at the same time. I am sure a lot of fans would have loved to have gone to both and then we would have had like 80-20.

You also have to remember that Carlton are a huge club and haven't been to finals for a long time, so they had a lot of fans willing to make the trip.
Carlton fans sounded very loud in that first quarter on the tv. After that, not so much.

Lachie Neale up to his eyeballs in the Brownlow here.

Neale back in front. It would be so cool if he could right the debacle that was last year's count.

Neale is going to win this. He was robbed last year, but there's no chance he was the best player in the league this year.

Come on Lachie, he just needs 1 point to win a tie at worst, surely he isn't robbed again.

If you ever want to see a totally cringe interview, watch Neale winning the Brownlow, this is disgraceful from the host.

No AFL expert. Just a casual follower. But there is more than a little controversy I'm told on this count. A certain round 6 game against GWS that might be just a little strange.

No AFL expert. Just a casual follower. But there is more than a little controversy I'm told on this count. A certain round 6 game against GWS that might be just a little strange.

Happens all the time. A Port player got mad points despite don’t very little and West Coast player got mad points despite his side getting beaten by a hundred.

But when a Melbourne player gets ‘robbed’ by someone interstate, these comments are common.

Last year Neale himself was robbed by Cripps badly, it should actually not have happened except the AFl literally changed their own rules to do so yet barely a mention in the days after.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.