NEWS AFL TV Deal

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

THE AFL has landed the biggest sports broadcast rights deal in Australian history after extending its partnership with the Seven Network, Foxtel and Telstra for another seven seasons. The League's current broadcast rights deal goes for another two years, through to the end of 2024, but on Tuesday the AFL secured the television rights through to the end of 2031.

In one of Gillon McLachlan's final major moves as chief executive of the AFL, the League has bolstered its future with a $4.5 billion deal across the Seven, Foxtel and Telstra agreement after meeting with key bidders on Monday to hear final pitches.

The AFL's new deal is worth $643 million a season - an upgrade on the $473 million per season under the terms of the current two-year deal that ends after the 2024 season.

The NRL make amateur sports look professional by comparison.

Vlandys renegotiated the NRL TV several years early, from a position of weakness during the COVID lockdown and sold out the sport in the process.

the incompetence of this administration knows no bounds

I don't care for AFL, just posting this to highlight how bad V'landys is.

4.5 billion for 7 years.

What do you think the NRL just extended for on their new deal?

NRL deal announced December last year:

The deal, announced on Monday, means Fox Sports, Nine and Sky TV New Zealand have all agreed to broadcast contracts that will yield more than $2bn in revenue for the NRL before they run out in 2027.

400m per year for NRL broadcast rights.
643m per year for AFL broadcast rights.

The NRL has consistently better TV ratings. Make it make sense without greaseball horse racing man selling out the game.

The NRL make amateur sports look professional by comparison.

Vlandys renegotiated the NRL TV several years early, from a position of weakness during the COVID lockdown and sold out the sport in the process.

the incompetence of this administration knows no bounds

Let’s get serious here, who actually has the power to get rid of Vlandys? I’m so livid with this moron I want to start a movement.

How much is 243m per year?

The NRL salary cap is 10m per team, with 243m a year, you could double the salary cap to 20m, expand the comp to 18 teams, and still have 63m a year to spend on other investments.

I don't care for AFL, just posting this to highlight how bad V'landys is.

4.5 billion for 7 years.

What do you think the NRL just extended for on their new deal?

NRL deal announced December last year:

The deal, announced on Monday, means Fox Sports, Nine and Sky TV New Zealand have all agreed to broadcast contracts that will yield more than $2bn in revenue for the NRL before they run out in 2027.

400m per year for NRL broadcast rights.
643m per year for AFL broadcast rights.

The NRL has consistently better TV ratings. Make it make sense without greaseball horse racing man selling out the game.

The NRL is also longer which means more product for longer.

Let’s get serious here, who actually has the power to get rid of Vlandys? I’m so livid with this moron I want to start a movement.

I believe if the 16 clubs, NSWRL and QRL (not sure if other stakeholders are included) band together they can move a vote of no confidence and oust Vlandys. I think they need to get 70% of the vote for it to be successful, but don't quote me on that figure

AFL gets more Free to air, NRL Gets more Pay TV viewers, overall it ends up the same amount of viewers but with NRL having the more lucrative viewers, and this isn't even including state of Origin, but that can't be bidded on by Foxtel due to anti syphoning laws.

Because Pay TV is worth atleast twice compared to a free to air viewer, NRL TV rights are worth alot more, thing is last rights were signed at a terrible time and for too long, until 2027 comes around the league is cucked by a vastly undervalued TV deal, though it's actually since covid that NRLs pay TV viewership has exploded(I think this is also why Broncos share price has exploded because investors know the next deal is going to be massive even if it's awhile away).

it's a bad deal though.

DownrightHideousJumpingbean-size_restricted.gif

Time to bring back the Wanted poster.

It seems after looking at it, what bumped the price was Channel 10 trying to take the rights in conjunction with it's paramount service so Seven had to bump up it's offer massively.

I suspect with the next NRL rights deal, Nine will try to chip away at Foxtels rights using Stan Sport and if Paramount and another streaming service like Amazon come to the table it could be huge, while that would be good for the income these streaming service seriously suck, it will cost alot more to watch the game if that happens.

by 2027 I think Paramount and Amazon will probably have a bigger foothold in Australia by then so there will be more money to bid with, assuming like the AFL it's done earlier this will probably be happening in 2025.

Month 8 after "new deal": PvL remains a master strategist.
TV numbers higher then ever, but we have a deal with Nine that is lower then Pre Covid and that's after they negotiated the cut price deal during Covid.

The doom and gloom over the TV numbers during Covid was massively overhyped.

TV numbers higher then ever, but we have a deal with Nine that is lower then Pre Covid and that's after they negotiated the cut price deal during Covid.

The doom and gloom over the TV numbers during Covid was massively overhyped.

there was also the claim that Vlandys had to do a new deal to restart the comp, as the TV networks were claiming the NRL were in breach of their TV deal by not providing the 8 games per week during the shut down.

there was also the claim that Vlandys had to do a new deal to restart the comp, as the TV networks were claiming the NRL were in breach of their TV deal by not providing the 8 games per week during the shut down.
That was true, but the issue being when he renegotiated at the end of 21 a full season was already done and the TV numbers where better then ever yet the deal was lower then pre Covid and now it's extended longer the last deal ever would of.

It would be fine if that was a shorter deal to make up for it but for Vlandy's to claim it's good to have consistency with the longer contract when it's a completely short changed deal is incompetency.

He got played. And now has less revenue, and no stadiums.

It's an absolute disaster.
Completely, had he opened his eyes and seen how the streaming services are coming in like Optus and then Stan sport taking the champions league rights, plus Paramount with the A league he could of gotten way more money, enough for the NRL to start building their own stadiums(atleast enough to go for 50/50 ownership with the governments to fast track it).

Anyone with half a brain could tell the Vlandys deal was terrible, unfortunately the media massively benefitted so of course the parties to it praise him and the idiots running clubs probably got a bribe too so they don’t call it out. In any case, this AFL deal highlights how bad Vlandys is for this sport, but man, he got that two weeks early re-start he can rest his laurels on forever.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Hurrijo
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • IceWorks
  • teampjta
  • Fatboy
  • Rambstien
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • jarro65
  • MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • Mr Fourex
  • Big Del
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.