OFFICIAL Albert Kelly Signs on for 2022

Albert Kelly signs on for another year, taking his deal to the end of 2022

View attachment 14793

Playmaker Albert Kelly will remain a Brisbane Bronco for another year to the end of the 2022 season.​

The 30-year-old has made a combined 171 NRL and Super League appearances since debuting in 2010 and has been impressive since making his Australian comeback with the Broncos midway through the 2021 season. He has made six appearances for Brisbane this season since returning from England where he played 118 games for Hull and then Hull Kingston Rovers between 2015 and 2020, scoring 67 tries in total in the Super League.

He played a total of 47 NRL games for Cronulla and the Titans from 2010 to 2014 before his overseas stint. On his return to Australia earlier this year, he played consistent football for Broncos Affiliate South Logan Magpies before being given another shot at the NRL with a debut for Brisbane in Round 11 against the Sydney Roosters. That night, Kelly helped orchestrate a memorable 34-16 upset at the Sydney Cricket Ground and he has been a part of the Broncos’ NRL squad ever since. He was impressive again in yesterday’s 24-22 win over the Warriors.

In choosing to remain a Bronco, Kelly joins Kotoni Staggs, Tesi Niu, Keenan Palasia, Jordan Riki, Kobe Hetherington, Jake Turpin, Tyson Gamble, David Mead, Jesse Arthars and exciting youngsters Brendan Piakura, Teui “TC” Robati, Selwyn Cobbo and Xavier Willison who have all extended with the club in recent months. They will be joined in 2022 by new signings Adam Reynolds, Kurt Capewell, Corey Jensen, Brenko Lee and Logan Bayliss.

Kelly said: “I can see the success coming at the Broncos so I wanted to stick around. I can see how hard the guys work and how talented they are. “We’ve got some good players coming in so it’s going to be a bright future. I’m very grateful to the Broncos for giving me a chance. Hopefully I can pay the club back with some success.”

Broncos Football & Performance Director Ben Ikin said: “Albert provides experience and creativity – he has been really impressive since he was given the chance midway through the year and took it with both hands. “He is also very good around the club, having seen what it takes to succeed at the top level and passing that on to the younger players in the squad.”

Nah. Turpin needs to be upgraded as soon as possible. He tries his guts out but he isn't what you want as a modern 9 if you want to be a contender.
he has earned the right to a shot next year within a spine that actually tries their guts out as much as he does. Next year will be the barometer for how talented he is imo. He’s going to surprise a few of his detractors.

he has earned the right to a shot next year within a spine that actually tries their guts out as much as he does. Next year will be the barometer for how talented he is imo. He’s going to surprise a few of his detractors.

I'd love to see it but he isn't a rookie anymore and is yet to show any attacking spark at all!

I think if he played in tandem with another DH he'd be of more value to us. Suffers big time when he's going through a mountain of work.

I'd put Riki in there too, I don't know, there is a real leadership vibe with him. Whenever something happens on field he is first in either to support a player getting roughed up or celebrating with a player who does something well. He is a smokey for future captain I think.
“I wanted to be that first person to put my hand up and be like ‘right boys, jump on board, let’s fight’,” - Jordan Riki

Jordan's interview from when he re signed had leadership vibes all over it

Sounding like Kelly & Reynolds may be the first choice halves pairing heading in to next season, with Gamble as depth for both spots.

Just looking at the numbers, it's almost impossible to split them. Very similar if you factor in the 8 fewer games starting for Albert.

Kelly - 5 games starting ~ 2 tries, 0 linebreaks, 4 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 3 forced dropouts, 71 running metres per game

Gamble - 13 games starting ~ 1 try, 1 linebreak, 8 try assists, 6 linebreak assists, 5 forced dropouts, 62 running metres per game

The one thing that Kelly has going for him is that as he said in that interview, he didn't have a pre-season at all and has been shifted around a bunch. I think a full off-season & pre-season under his belt training with Reynolds will do him the world of good.

Tough call. I guess it'll be a pre-season battle between Kelly & Gamble to see who gets first crack in the #6

Tough call. I guess it'll be a pre-season battle between Kelly & Gamble to see who gets first crack in the #6

More upside to Kelly........

that said, his hands have been terrible lately. He does manage to pull out 1-2 attacking plays that make you forget about the previous 3 handling errors.....at crucial times

well....almost.

More upside to Kelly........

that said, his hands have been terrible lately. He does manage to pull out 1-2 attacking plays that make you forget about the previous 3 handling errors.....at crucial times

well....almost.
Yeah I’m a massive Gamble fan and love what he brings to the team but I think Kelly’s game compliments Reynolds far more. Instinctive player with a bag of tricks, and a good ability to ice a final pass or back up a play.

I think a Gamble and Reynolds combo lacks the running threat or unpredictable qualities of Kelly.

I agree though, Kelly makes some poor decisions and has too many errors in his game. Hopefully a decent pre-season and having Reynolds handle the boring stuff and we may see less of that.

It’s a good headache to have while we wait for the real long term 5/8 option to present themselves.

Yeah I’m a massive Gamble fan and love what he brings to the team but I think Kelly’s game compliments Reynolds far more. Instinctive player with a bag of tricks, and a good ability to ice a final pass or back up a play.

I think a Gamble and Reynolds combo lacks the running threat or unpredictable qualities of Kelly.

I agree though, Kelly makes some poor decisions and has too many errors in his game. Hopefully a decent pre-season and having Reynolds handle the boring stuff and we may see less of that.

It’s a good headache to have while we wait for the real long term 5/8 option to present themselves.
Its really hard to overlook Gamble but I think your right.
Some of Kelly's errors you could put down to the timing being abit off as a factor to the no pre season, jumping between qcup and nrl. You can see what he's trying to do but the timing has been a fraction off.
Would be nice to somehow have all 3 in the 17 because Tyson just adds something to the team.
if you could mix the 2 together we would have the perfect fullback

Great to see he is legitimately stoked to be staying.

I'd still be giving Gamble first crack unless Kelly comes out and nails it in the trials.

“I wanted to be that first person to put my hand up and be like ‘right boys, jump on board, let’s fight’,” - Jordan Riki

Jordan's interview from when he re signed had leadership vibes all over it
Liked him ever since that interview. What a champ.

I'd love to see it but he isn't a rookie anymore and is yet to show any attacking spark at all!
This is very spot on. People just use the argument that he is better than McCullough when in reality he isn't. Barely runs the ball and defense isn't better than Maccas either. The fact that we have just had Macca at the club for the past 10 years meant that we would literally fall in love with literally any other hooker that threw the jumper on over him speaks volumes. Levi has been a much more attacking threat from dummy half in the limited opportunities he has had this year. Turpin just looks like a bog ordinary first grade hooker who we should look at upgrading as the first preference in the side along with fullback. (Nui is trash compared to the other competitions elite fullback and is yet to show anything to suggest he has the next step to take)

This is very spot on. People just use the argument that he is better than McCullough when in reality he isn't. Barely runs the ball and defense isn't better than Maccas either. The fact that we have just had Macca at the club for the past 10 years meant that we would literally fall in love with literally any other hooker that threw the jumper on over him speaks volumes. Levi has been a much more attacking threat from dummy half in the limited opportunities he has had this year. Turpin just looks like a bog ordinary first grade hooker who we should look at upgrading as the first preference in the side along with fullback. (Nui is trash compared to the other competitions elite fullback and is yet to show anything to suggest he has the next step to take)
100% agree. Turpin and Niu shouldn't be our 9 and 1 moving forward. We've put up with an average hooker for 10 years now. Time to get a 9 with some attacking threat. It's been a breath of fresh air watching Levi's service and ability out of dummy half.

And Niu looks so far out of his depth at fullback at the moment, I just can't see him improving enough to be our 1 long term. No urgency and willingness to put his body on the line, terrible under the high ball, poor positioning and little ball playing ability. Can break a tackle and has a bit of speed but that is it.

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • Bish
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Skathen
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.