OFFICIAL Alex Glenn announces retirement

Brisbane Broncos Captain Alex Glenn has announced his retirement from rugby league at the end of the 2021 season. Glenn has played all his 282 NRL Games for the Broncos over a 13-season career, making him the club’s fourth-most capped player of all time.

Since debuting in 2009, his career as a backrower and centre has netted 59 tries and 17 Finals appearances across NRL and international competition.

The 33-year-old, who told Broncos players and staff of his decision this morning, has been Club Captain for the past two years, having also led the Broncos NYC team to a Grand Final in 2008.

He is a five-time winner of the Club’s Kevin Walters Award for Most Consistent Player, the most of any player in Broncos history. Glenn also played 14 internationals – 12 for New Zealand and two for the Cook Islands, one of those as Captain.

Glenn said:

“It was always a dream come true to play for the Broncos, but to finish my career as a one-club player here is beyond anything I could have imagined. There have been plenty of highs and lows but I have never taken for granted how special it is to be able to pull on the Broncos jersey. The Broncos are a family and I feel like I have grown up here and I appreciate every player, coach and staff member that has helped me along that journey."

“My own beautiful family – Jemma and the kids Miller, Gisele and Oakley – are an inspiration to me and make me want to be a better man and father every day. Then there are the members and fans – they are the best in the game and there is no better feeling than playing in front of them at Suncorp Stadium. The Broncos have a bright future ahead, you can see that by the way we have turned things around this year, and I can’t wait to see this team grow and succeed in the years ahead.”

Screenalexglenn     CL0Ohd8HHqz

Broncos Coach Kevin Walters said:

“Lex has played at a very high standard for a long time and led by example on and off the field. To be so consistent week-in, week-out since making his debut in 2009 is an incredible effort. He’s a true clubman and will always be remembered for his pride and passion in the Broncos jersey.”

Broncos CEO Dave Donaghy paid tribute to Glenn’s longevity and leadership:

“It’s fitting that Alex will finish his career as a one-club player with the Broncos. He is a great team person and his consistent hard work over the past 13 years have not only allowed him to stay at the top but also served as a fantastic example to young players coming through. Alex is loved across the entire club and has always been a favourite of our members and fans – I’m sure we’re all looking forward to giving him the send off that he deserves in coming weeks.”

Broncos members and fans packed out an Alex Glenn Testimonial Match against the Cowboys in the pre-season to honour their hero – and there will be another opportunity to pay him tribute at Brisbane’s final home game of the year at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, September 4, at 3pm.

Early days when he earned a spot in the Kiwis side, he was a gun. Unfortunately that form only lasted 1-2 seasons.
I dunno mate.....I reckon you're using the term "gun" too loosely.

An honest toiler.......a solid performer.......a reliable backrower......a quaility NRL player......yes.

A "Gun"?

no.

Like a lot of the retiring Broncos during this premiership drought.... a year too long.

That's gotta stop.

Glenn was always a great servant for the club, and there was a period there where I thought he was a legitimate contender for the captaincy - I always thought he should have gotten it over Darbs after Parker retired. The last couple of years have shown that might not have been the best move, but then again under a different coach, with a different team, and different circumstances, history may have been very different.

Thanks for everything you've given to the Broncos, Alex.

Courier Mail reporting the Broncos have got a 'headache' deciding who to appoint as captain next season.

I thought I read the Broncos offered Adam Reynolds the captaincy as part of their pitch. It's really not much of a 'headache', appointing Reynolds as captain is the obvious choice. And groom a successor when Reynolds calls it quits. Non - story of the year.......

Good luck to Alex Glenn on the next phase of his life. Thanks for the memories.
The only headache I see is picking the location of when to announce Reynolds as our captain on November 1

Will miss lexi - but his time was probably a year or two ago. Can't keep pace in defence and the smallest men in the game drop him with ease. Glad he got a try the other week, gives him something for the highlight reel in his final year.

Side note, has Kev's publicist gotten hold of Lexi? "We have the best fans in the club" err what? lol

It's really sad that one minute we're ragging people for "selling their soul" etc and leaving the club for more cash when they're still wet behind the ears ... then I read endless comments like "thank f*****g god" that a one-club man is hanging up his boots. It beggars belief. It's often more about what guys with experience do off the ball and behind the scenes as much as what they do when they're in the thick of it and the cameras are on them. So long Lexi, a gentleman and a great clubman, there's been a lot of talk in here about his selection as captain but no alternatives offered .. a poison chalice .. maybe .. but he grabbed it and did his best in the middle of a shitstorm.

Alex Glenn:

“I remember in primary school in Beach Haven in Auckland, our teacher asked us, ‘What do you want to be growing up’ and I always wanted to be a professional athlete. I loved rugby league ever since I could walk and run. Rugby league was in my blood. I played it at school but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would fulfil a dream that I wrote out on that piece of paper."

“I came to the Broncos in 2008 and the journey just to get here was a hard one. My family made sacrifices for me. I had some setbacks in my life.”

“My back was pretty bad, I saw a chiropractor. We got some scans done and he said if I got caught in a bad tackle and landed in the wrong spot, there was a high chance I would be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. As a 16-year-old kid, you take a step back and think this is some serious business. Anything could have happened to me, but I believe things happen for a reason and the time out was a blessing.”

“I was Picasso. I was painting residential houses and I got a call from Wayne Bennett. I thought it was someone geeing me up from the Broncos, so I hung up on Wayne the first time. I don’t think that has happened before. He rang me straight back and said, ‘Mate I’m being honest, this is Wayne Bennett’."

“I had to put the brush down. I was very nervous to talk to a super coach like Wayne. He said wanted me to come to the Broncos and play in our under-20s competition. Fast forward to where we are now. If you told me I’d be in this position, I would have laughed it off because you never think it will come true. It Bennett’s call changed my life in so many ways.”

“The reason I'm retiring is my body to be honest. The game is getting faster, I am still competing as hard as I can be, but the weekly struggle, it was getting harder and harder. Although I know I am still competing well, could I do it for one more year? Probably not."

“I didn’t want to be the player that played one year too long. I wanted to hang the boots up on top and that’s been the biggest decision for me. When you wear this jersey with the Broncos label on it, you bleed for your brothers out there."

“I watched the greats wear this Broncos jersey with pride and that’s everything I have tried to do when I put that jersey on ... to make sure I did my job for my mate next to me.”

Kevin Walters:

“I believe I know what a real Broncos player looks like and Alex fills those shoes admirably. He has given nothing but his all for the club. He came here as a young boy in the under-20s and he is leaving as a man with a great family. Once you get to the stage he has, 280-plus games, he is a Bronco for life. We love him and we love what Alex has brought to the club.”

McHunt

Will miss lexi - but his time was probably a year or two ago. Can't keep pace in defence and the smallest men in the game drop him with ease. Glad he got a try the other week, gives him something for the highlight reel in his final year.

Side note, has Kev's publicist gotten hold of Lexi? "We have the best fans in the club" err what? lol
What was he meant to say? Screw those bhq dawgs?

You have to commend the bloke, he seems like a very decent human. I always felt Lex was a solid first grader, never gave you less then a 7/10 performance, often giving you an 8.5. He was a bang for your buck second rower next to Gillett (the star). No surprise that Lex provided his best footy beside the bigger names, in fact he didn't look out of place ever in a Broncos jersey. The last two years may not have been his best but as somebody else pointed out if he didn't stay this year there would literally have been no senior men at the club. Lex I am sure was providing some very good advice with training and diet to some young blokes, one thing you could never say about the bloke is that he didn't take care of himself or prepared poorly. Also we should commend him for being in the game this long and never having any shade, can't recall a single off field issue. He may never of been a super star but he is an absolute professional. Thanks for doing the club proud Lex good luck for the future.

He's a type of player every side needs.
He's not superstar of the team but he will do his job week in week out.
Had a bad run with injuries last year and you couldn't blame him for wanting to stick around to go out on a better note this year.
Seems to be well liked by the playing group and I'm glad hes going to be kept around the club because he's a good role model for what a bronco should be.
All the best Lexi
On the 79th minute of the final round it will really be one more set.

He's done pretty well for most of his career and never really cost much, but I think looking back I'll be a little disappointed he never kicked on like I thought he could have. His best seasons were 2011 and 2012, he got rewarded with a NZ selection for it, but he never seemed to be able to replicate it again for whatever reason.

Alex Glenn:

“I remember in primary school in Beach Haven in Auckland, our teacher asked us, ‘What do you want to be growing up’ and I always wanted to be a professional athlete. I loved rugby league ever since I could walk and run. Rugby league was in my blood. I played it at school but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would fulfil a dream that I wrote out on that piece of paper."

“I came to the Broncos in 2008 and the journey just to get here was a hard one. My family made sacrifices for me. I had some setbacks in my life.”

“My back was pretty bad, I saw a chiropractor. We got some scans done and he said if I got caught in a bad tackle and landed in the wrong spot, there was a high chance I would be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. As a 16-year-old kid, you take a step back and think this is some serious business. Anything could have happened to me, but I believe things happen for a reason and the time out was a blessing.”

“I was Picasso. I was painting residential houses and I got a call from Wayne Bennett. I thought it was someone geeing me up from the Broncos, so I hung up on Wayne the first time. I don’t think that has happened before. He rang me straight back and said, ‘Mate I’m being honest, this is Wayne Bennett’."

“I had to put the brush down. I was very nervous to talk to a super coach like Wayne. He said wanted me to come to the Broncos and play in our under-20s competition. Fast forward to where we are now. If you told me I’d be in this position, I would have laughed it off because you never think it will come true. It Bennett’s call changed my life in so many ways.”

“The reason I'm retiring is my body to be honest. The game is getting faster, I am still competing as hard as I can be, but the weekly struggle, it was getting harder and harder. Although I know I am still competing well, could I do it for one more year? Probably not."

“I didn’t want to be the player that played one year too long. I wanted to hang the boots up on top and that’s been the biggest decision for me. When you wear this jersey with the Broncos label on it, you bleed for your brothers out there."

“I watched the greats wear this Broncos jersey with pride and that’s everything I have tried to do when I put that jersey on ... to make sure I did my job for my mate next to me.”

Kevin Walters:

“I believe I know what a real Broncos player looks like and Alex fills those shoes admirably. He has given nothing but his all for the club. He came here as a young boy in the under-20s and he is leaving as a man with a great family. Once you get to the stage he has, 280-plus games, he is a Bronco for life. We love him and we love what Alex has brought to the club.”

McHunt

What a legend. Can only hope the new era of bronco players take half as much pride in their club as Lex does.

Geeze you guys are harsh on Lexi.
he has been out of form after injuries crippled him last year, but he’s been a good no frills club man. We need more like him.

he never demanded the big bucks, never held the club to ransom and didn’t put a foot wrong off the field, ever since his captaincy in the 20s he’s been a solid addition to the team.

I wish him all the best and I harbour him no ill will.

Courier Mail reporting the Broncos have got a 'headache' deciding who to appoint as captain next season.

I thought I read the Broncos offered Adam Reynolds the captaincy as part of their pitch. It's really not much of a 'headache', appointing Reynolds as captain is the obvious choice. And groom a successor when Reynolds calls it quits. Non - story of the year.......

Good luck to Alex Glenn on the next phase of his life. Thanks for the memories.
As it transpires, Adam Reynolds hasn't been promised the captaincy.

Walters:

“I’m not sure, obviously Adam is captain at South Sydney, but I haven’t discussed that with him. I will wait until he arrives here before we make a final decision. I’m really excited by the good young group of players coming through. I think Pat Carrigan will have a big season next year coming back from his knee injury, he is an impressive young guy.”

Glenn says it should be Patty:

“We have a lot of great future leaders in our club. Patty Carrigan ... the way he led our club when I was missing due to injury last year, he stepped up in a position that a kid his age shouldn’t have, but he led from the front and that’s what I stand for.

“I believe a leader is someone who leads through his actions and the way Pat has led this club at his age, he has to be a future leader for sure."

“There are other players I look around at that lead with their actions on the field. Payne Haas is leading the way, so is Jake Turpin ... when you look at some of the young boys coming through, our club is in great hands.”

Here's what the hoopleheads think:

Screenshot 2021 08 19 at 20 01 18 Revealed Departing skipper makes call on Broncos captaincy

Unread

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.