OFFICIAL Alex Glenn announces retirement

Brisbane Broncos Captain Alex Glenn has announced his retirement from rugby league at the end of the 2021 season. Glenn has played all his 282 NRL Games for the Broncos over a 13-season career, making him the club’s fourth-most capped player of all time.

Since debuting in 2009, his career as a backrower and centre has netted 59 tries and 17 Finals appearances across NRL and international competition.

The 33-year-old, who told Broncos players and staff of his decision this morning, has been Club Captain for the past two years, having also led the Broncos NYC team to a Grand Final in 2008.

He is a five-time winner of the Club’s Kevin Walters Award for Most Consistent Player, the most of any player in Broncos history. Glenn also played 14 internationals – 12 for New Zealand and two for the Cook Islands, one of those as Captain.

Glenn said:

“It was always a dream come true to play for the Broncos, but to finish my career as a one-club player here is beyond anything I could have imagined. There have been plenty of highs and lows but I have never taken for granted how special it is to be able to pull on the Broncos jersey. The Broncos are a family and I feel like I have grown up here and I appreciate every player, coach and staff member that has helped me along that journey."

“My own beautiful family – Jemma and the kids Miller, Gisele and Oakley – are an inspiration to me and make me want to be a better man and father every day. Then there are the members and fans – they are the best in the game and there is no better feeling than playing in front of them at Suncorp Stadium. The Broncos have a bright future ahead, you can see that by the way we have turned things around this year, and I can’t wait to see this team grow and succeed in the years ahead.”

Screenalexglenn     CL0Ohd8HHqz

Broncos Coach Kevin Walters said:

“Lex has played at a very high standard for a long time and led by example on and off the field. To be so consistent week-in, week-out since making his debut in 2009 is an incredible effort. He’s a true clubman and will always be remembered for his pride and passion in the Broncos jersey.”

Broncos CEO Dave Donaghy paid tribute to Glenn’s longevity and leadership:

“It’s fitting that Alex will finish his career as a one-club player with the Broncos. He is a great team person and his consistent hard work over the past 13 years have not only allowed him to stay at the top but also served as a fantastic example to young players coming through. Alex is loved across the entire club and has always been a favourite of our members and fans – I’m sure we’re all looking forward to giving him the send off that he deserves in coming weeks.”

Broncos members and fans packed out an Alex Glenn Testimonial Match against the Cowboys in the pre-season to honour their hero – and there will be another opportunity to pay him tribute at Brisbane’s final home game of the year at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, September 4, at 3pm.

I think Reynolds is the logical choice. I dont think Carrigan or anyone else has earned the right to be captain yet. There needs to be a clear leadership group but i think it has to be Reynolds. I think it will also help the development of some of these players having a player who has been there, done that and got the T-shirt to relieve some of the pressure from them.

I'll just add Broncos have mucked up the captaincy in the past by handing to players more junior that haven't been ready. Sam Thaiday was handed the captaincy when anyone with half brain know the next line should have been either Corey Parker or Justin Hodges. Thaiday's form slid and the team lacked leadership and struggled which Anthony Griffin then had to request it back from Thaiday. Broncos would be wise not to repeat the same mistake.

Picked up “chur Lexi” membership tickets to the Knights game and I have no regrets. $15 a pop and my kid is so excited at the chance to….see Kalyn Ponga 🙄

he also went to the barber with dad last night armed with Kalyn Ponga photos so he could get the same chop. Could be worse I guess, he could be a Papi fan.
He’s just preparing when Ponga comes here in ‘23

Glenn was a victim of being blooded too soon.

It hindered his development and he has always struggled with consistency. '12 and '15 he started to show maybe he could go to that next level that people said he would reach, but he failed to back up those strong seasons.

Who knows what could have been if Henjak didn't jump the gun.

It hindered his development and he has always struggled with consistency. '12 and '15 he started to show maybe he could go to that next level that people said he would reach, but he failed to back up those strong seasons.

Even players who are bloody early show signs of what they're capable of under a shit coach. Glenn has always been above average at best.

An honest toiler....at best.

He was almost 21 when he made his debut, he should have been physically ready.

I hope Glenn goes to Super League, he doesn't need to, but I think he's still playing good enough footy to not be playing somewhere.

Will miss him but excited for what's to come.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Dash
  • simplythebest
  • Mustafur
  • broncos4life
  • Gaz
  • Justwin
  • Morkel
  • Rookie Alan
  • winslow_wong
  • Brotherdu
  • bert_lifts
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Gray
  • I bleed Maroon
  • RodF
  • Spooky1013
... and 39 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.