NEWS Alex Glenn: I have been happy with my performances

The Broncos inaugural wooden spoon winning captain, Alex Glenn, insists he's earnt the right to retire on his own terms:

“I do, and the Broncos bosses have been very supportive of that. I have had some sit downs with Kev and just been really open with him about how my body feels. It feels great. I know I’m 33 and in footy terms, that is getting old, but I don’t feel that way. I am out there and the body feels amazing, it just comes down to being professional and ticking all the boxes leading into games. The main aspect for me is recovery."

“Brisbane’s improvement this season definitely helps for sure. The confidence is going through the roof at headquarters and seeing the boys bouncing around and wanting to keep working, that’s what the Broncos used to be. Having some good signings will strengthen our squad and our club next year, so that fuels the flame for me.”

Screenalexglenn     CSII dfBliZ

Body feels amazing

“I’m not scared of retirement, to be honest. I’m not any closer to a decision. I spoke to Kev and said my focus is finishing the last four games strong and that’s what I want to do. I don’t want any distractions, I don’t want to worry about where I am going to be next year."

“What it comes down to is can I still compete at this highest level? I don’t want to be selfish and be that player that goes one year too long. I’ve always said that I will give myself every opportunity to perform to the best level I can and make my decision at the very last minute."

“I have four games to go and I have been happy with my performances. I am still competing with the best of the best. I don’t want to make a decision too soon and regret my decision later on. I will finish the season strong and these next four weeks are my focus and then I will make a decision.”

McHunt

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Happy with his performances? Why wouldn’t he be happy?

Play like arse, still get picked…

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Bit his friends on Insta keep saying he's heaps good. Don't listen to the haterz.

I just hope Reynolds gets the captaincy next year. If Glenn retains it, there will be pressure to start him which is straight up a bad move. If anything he should get minimum wage and a token 15 minutes if he plays on.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
The concern I have niggling away is I read somewhere the club is keeping some dollars set aside should Glenn decide to go 1 more year.
This to me is a double concern as it strongly implies the club will let Glenn decide and will let him play if he wants to, and regardless of what you think of Glenn, the decision has to be the clubs.
Secondly it means we may be less able to make a competitive offer to someone else because we are holding back $xxx for someone who might play on.
I can only hope it's not true as it sounds more like White and Nolan than Donuts and Ikin.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
The concern I have niggling away is I read somewhere the club is keeping some dollars set aside should Glenn decide to go 1 more year.
This to me is a double concern as it strongly implies the club will let Glenn decide and will let him play if he wants to, and regardless of what you think of Glenn, the decision has to be the clubs.
Secondly it means we may be less able to make a competitive offer to someone else because we are holding back $xxx for someone who might play on.
I can only hope it's not true as it sounds more like White and Nolan than Donuts and Ikin.

It could be just minimum wage though and ultimately, you do need to fill out your squad. If he was willing to be purely depth in minimum wage, it isn’t the worst thing ever.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
It could be just minimum wage though and ultimately, you do need to fill out your squad. If he was willing to be purely depth in minimum wage, it isn’t the worst thing ever.
You are right, its not the worst thing ever but it is still taking opportunity and any game minutes from someone else and i just don't think Glenn deserves it.

If he had 3 premierships to his name and was a captain courageous then i would be ok with keeping him on as depth in the 25-30 contracted position but he has been part of our least successful period as a club.

Glenn screams out to me the kind of player you tell to retire now and here is a 100k a year job for 5 years going around the schools 2 times a week.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Not sure what Glenn has done to deserve this...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You are right, its not the worst thing ever but it is still taking opportunity and any game minutes from someone else and i just don't think Glenn deserves it.

If he had 3 premierships to his name and was a captain courageous then i would be ok with keeping him on as depth in the 25-30 contracted position but he has been part of our least successful period as a club.

Glenn screams out to me the kind of player you tell to retire now and here is a 100k a year job for 5 years going around the schools 2 times a week.

Yeah I don’t want to hang on to him either and I doubt he’d agree to those conditions, just throwing it out there. It seems that he thinks he’s still good enough to not only start but be able to make the call himself. So yeah, I’d tell him thanks for service and push him out the door personally.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
This has been Alex Glenn his entire career, he has no reason to not be happy with his performances, he's a solid second rower with limited x-factor in attack or defense, just makes his tackles and runs basic lines

He has made a career out of playing along side some much better players

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Bit his friends on Insta keep saying he's heaps good. Don't listen to the haterz.

I just hope Reynolds gets the captaincy next year. If Glenn retains it, there will be pressure to start him which is straight up a bad move. If anything he should get minimum wage and a token 15 minutes if he plays on.
I trust you mean only once? In a trial game?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I don't want Glenn involved in the club at all. He needs to be tapped on the shoulder and told to follow his dreams of a career on Instagram because he is one of the problems at the club. Mediocre and divisive. He no longer has a place at the Broncos if they actually want to improve.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
What is it about becoming the Broncos Captain that makes you completely oblivious to how mediocre to downright poor that you're playing?

Probably because once upon a time and when these guys were in their formative years, it meant something to be Broncos captain.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • bazza
  • Galah
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosMan
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.