Allan Langer

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Locky gets talked about a lot as the go to legend and fair enough. But what about the OG? Alfie, the greatest halfback in the history of our club.

Anyone got any great Alfie memories?

One of my favourite memories of Alfie is when he came back from England to play Origin again in 2001, dominating the blues and even gets himself a try

What Foordy said plus his performances in the 92 and 93 GFs where he controlled both matches and put the Broncos on the map. The most painful memory would be his shock retirement in 1999 after only 7 rounds. His emotional press conference made it one of the darkest days in Bronco history.

Hands down the best HB the club has ever had and an argument could be made for him being our best ever.

I don't think I will get many chances to ask this.

How good was Alf in 2002? Was he past it, was he still playing well consistently etc? It's just been something I've been wondering for a long time.

Ftr the only real Alfie memories I have of him are Origin 2001/2002 and him throwing the ball to Brett Mullins in the finals in 02.

His try in the 92 GF I believe it was where he chipped the ball, bounced off a players head, re-gathered and scored under the posts.

His try in the 92 GF I believe it was where he chipped the ball, bounced off a players head, re-gathered and scored under the posts.

Took on the line, popped the Ball to Allan, ball came of Allan's head and Alf was in the right place and dotted down.

Broke the game open for us when he forced a repeat set and scored from dummy half and then it was a case of Broncos by how much.

Yeah, I had a feeling I wasn't remembering it right. I must have confused it with another try.

Still a flukey ass try and one of the best.

I don't think I will get many chances to ask this.

How good was Alf in 2002? Was he past it, was he still playing well consistently etc? It's just been something I've been wondering for a long time.

Ftr the only real Alfie memories I have of him are Origin 2001/2002 and him throwing the ball to Brett Mullins in the finals in 02.
He was obviously older and slower but he still had some blistering matches in what was a very poor season for the club. I still think he is the greatest Bronco ever. He was the architect of 4 GF wins and obviously was a major part of the Bronco's golden era.

A Locky and Langer 6 and 7 combo would have been interesting. Lockyer controlling the long kicking game, getting us into position, and Langer attacking within the 20, would have been something.

Also, anyone think Steve Smith is Langer's love child? Every interview I see with Smith I'm like 'he's alot like a young Alf'.

Hands down the best HB the club has ever had and an argument could be made for him being our best ever.

An argument could be made for him being the best HB ever as well, Broncos or not, but it's rarely made (by anyone not a Broncos supporter it seems) because of Joey this and Stuart that.

It's all a moot point anyway, Thurston is the greatest ever.

Took on the line, popped the Ball to Allan, ball came of Allan's head and Alf was in the right place and dotted down.

Broke the game open for us when he forced a repeat set and scored from dummy half and then it was a case of Broncos by how much.
Actually it was Alf to Allen, Allen passed back inside, Allen's pass bounces off a St George player's head (player was Mick Potter), Langer under the sticks!

It's all a moot point anyway, Thurston is the greatest ever.

Man imagine that match up, Langer at his peak vs Thurston at his peak. Mouth watering. Really wish we had a Knights/Broncos GF somewhere around 96-2000 as well.

He was obviously older and slower but he still had some blistering matches in what was a very poor season for the club. I still think he is the greatest Bronco ever. He was the architect of 4 GF wins and obviously was a major part of the Bronco's golden era.

Poor season? We finished 3, one point off the minor premiership and we made the second last weekend, only to lose 12 - 16 to the Roosters (and I note, we only lost because a kick from Alf at the end took a weird bounce and landed in the hands of Mini, rather than the 4 Broncs chasing it, one of whom would have scored easily).

Alf was really good that year!!!

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.