Allan Langer

Did Alf and Joey battle over the Kangaroo 7 in the late 90's, anyone know or have thoughts on that?

Alfie came up against some fierce competition - Daley, Fittler, Lazarus, Harragon, Clyde among others.
If you watch any highlight reels of Langer in origin, 90 percent of the time he ran rings around Daley and Fittler and Johns for that matter.

Not sure how you can compare the likes of Lazarus, Clyde and Harragon when referring to Langer, they are all monster forwards and every half back has had to face them.

Saying that Alf is as good as or better than JT just because he played against Daley and Fittler is really putting them on a much high pedestal than they both deserve and lowering the value of Langer and Queensland.

Watch any Origin highlights of JT and obviously he is the dominant halfback at least 90% of the time. Even in the Cowboys dark days, he still stood out from the rest and was constantly picked for rep sides whereas Langer was in Premiership winning sides with most of the QLD team in his club team, big difference.

Moral of my post is they are both great but it is offensive to compare the over rated Fittlers, Daleys and Johns' when speaking of such QLD royalty as Langer and Thurston, the two of them are better than the other 3 combined.

Only after we lost the first test, Ricky would get called in and we would end up winning the series.

First Test '90 Stuart was the 6 and Alf 7. Daley was back second Test and they went with Daley and Stuart. '94 Alf was put back to the interchange after the first Test.

He was really only dropped in '90.

Alf was the best 'back yard' player ever. He just had natural instincts for football and played off the top of his head. He picked his time to run and kick beautifully.

He took risks that now would send coaches mad.

In his early games in the State League, he would chip kick and then demand his forwards win it back so he could do it again. Took him three tries to get it right. A few forwards were suggesting if he kicks it again he packs in the scrum.

Funny.

I was watching that 1990 game against Canberra and Alf took a few dumb decisions in that game.

Took Alf a while (like 3 or 4 years) to learn how to control a game (not just play off the cuff) as a half and it took 3 years for Kev and Alf to learn how to play together.

Gives me hope for Hunt and Milf.

Ps see a lot of parralels with that early 90s team and this team. Reckon we just need out Glenn Lazarus to lead the forwards and we could be on the verge of something great....

Took Alf a while (like 3 or 4 years) to learn how to control a game (not just play off the cuff)
He was an Australian Schoolboy Representative and was picked for Queensland while playing in the BRL and won the SOO series as halfback playing all 3 games and was man of the match in the decider.

So I think he kind of already knew how to control a game well before he donned a Broncos Jersey and to say that it took him "3 or 4 years" to learn how to control a game is just BS.

As is comparing Hunt and Milford to Langer and Walters, both of the latter had achieved much more at similar stages in their careers.

Absolute legend. All time Broncs team would have Alf at 7, Kevie at 6 (they were magic together) King at 13 (just roaming and hitting hard in defence) with Locky at 1.
One thing that did surprise me when I met him was how stocky and solid he was. This was late 90's, yep short but more solid than I thought or tv showed.

@holdzy89

Because of Super League, Johns and Langer rarely competed for representative jerseys.

In 1998, Joey was initially preferred at 7 but after Bob Fulton stood down, Wayne Bennett accepted the post, moving Johns to 9 and allowing Langer to play in his preferred role.

When Chris Anderson took over, he retained that combination and then Langer retired a few weeks later.

@jd123

I'm not sure where you're pulling that 90% figure from, especially when Langer only managed one series win between 1990-96.

Regardless, I wasn't comparing Alfie to those players. I was comparing those NSW players to the current mob. If you feel Braith Anasta, Mitchell Pearce, Todd Carney, James Maloney etc. were every bit as good as Johns, Daley, Fittler and Stuart more power to you but I vehemently disagree.

Not only were they great players, they also played behind a great forward pack who out-performed Queensland on a consistent basis.

Again, Alf had his share of luxuries at club football, but JT had an easier ride in representative football which is where a lot of his plaudits come from.

@holdzy89

Because of Super League, Johns and Langer rarely competed for representative jerseys.

In 1998, Joey was initially preferred at 7 but after Bob Fulton stood down, Wayne Bennett accepted the post, moving Johns to 9 and allowing Langer to play in his preferred role.

When Chris Anderson took over, he retained that combination and then Langer retired a few weeks later.

@jd123

I'm not sure where you're pulling that 90% figure from, especially when Langer only managed one series win between 1990-96.

Regardless, I wasn't comparing Alfie to those players. I was comparing those NSW players to the current mob. If you feel Braith Anasta, Mitchell Pearce, Todd Carney, James Maloney etc. were every bit as good as Johns, Daley, Fittler and Stuart more power to you but I vehemently disagree.

Not only were they great players, they also played behind a great forward pack who out-performed Queensland on a consistent basis.

Again, Alf had his share of luxuries at club football, but JT had an easier ride in representative football which is where a lot of his plaudits come from.

Interesting, cheers Pete.

Kevy Walters was always my favourite Bronco, but I think it was his combination with Alfy that made me love him, his support play to Alfy's crazy moves was awesome - he was just always there. Their partnership was something else, I'd love to see Hunt and Milford combine the same way those guys did....I hate how most of the teams have gone away from the halves combining in this modern age.

Kevy Walters was always my favourite Bronco, but I think it was his combination with Alfy that made me love him, his support play to Alfy's crazy moves was awesome - he was just always there. Their partnership was something else, I'd love to see Hunt and Milford combine the same way those guys did....I hate how most of the teams have gone away from the halves combining in this modern age.

They were at Kevv and Alf's level in 2015. It was unreal.

DCE and Foran were a great combo, both chased the money. Manly really imploded around that time.

I love to see the 6 and 7 combine, Milf and Hunt's combo tries are fucking sweet.

If this is just about Langer he was brilliant and a crowd favourite but if you start comparing him to the other great players it becomes a bullshit thread as they are all great players with different strengths and weaknesses.

He was an Australian Schoolboy Representative and was picked for Queensland while playing in the BRL and won the SOO series as halfback playing all 3 games and was man of the match in the decider.

So I think he kind of already knew how to control a game well before he donned a Broncos Jersey and to say that it took him "3 or 4 years" to learn how to control a game is just BS.

As is comparing Hunt and Milford to Langer and Walters, both of the latter had achieved much more at similar stages in their careers.

Alf didn't play for Australia until his Test debut. His only rep jumper was Queensland U15. He broke his ankle the last trial game in 84 before the Under 19's was picked. 85 he missed out on the QRL youth squad Bennett picked. Although Bennett did try and get him to Souths. He turned it down and stayed at Norths.

He was dropped to reserve grade at Norths in '85 and then signed with the Jets for '86. Started '86 in reserve grade too.

Last edited:
Alf, Locky and Mal into the immortals this year. They should pay homage to three generations of QLD brilliance.

Alf didn't play for Australia until his Test debut.
Really? That seems to be a common trend among most Test players believe it or not.

He was selected for the Australian Schoolboys side "Born in Ipswich (1966) Langer began playing Rugby League with the Northern Suburbs Tigers -- playing impressively enough to earn a place in the National schoolboys side in 1982." https://www.sahof.org.au/hall-of-fame/member-profile/?memberID=515&memberType=athlete

His only rep jumper was Queensland U15. He broke his ankle the last trial game in 84 before the Under 19's was picked. 85 he missed out on the QRL youth squad Bennett picked. Although Bennett did try and get him to Souths. He turned it down and stayed at Norths.

He was dropped to reserve grade at Norths in '85 and then signed with the Jets for '86. Started '86 in reserve grade too.
All of that is irrelevant to the topic.

Really? That seems to be a common trend among most Test players believe it or not.

He was selected for the Australian Schoolboys side "Born in Ipswich (1966) Langer began playing Rugby League with the Northern Suburbs Tigers -- playing impressively enough to earn a place in the National schoolboys side in 1982." https://www.sahof.org.au/hall-of-fame/member-profile/?memberID=515&memberType=athlete

All of that is irrelevant to the topic.

Alf left school after grade 10. Which would have been 1980.

The '82 side was an honours side it never played and was based on the Under 16 state carnival it wasn't the Australian Schoolboys. Alf wasn't at school in 1982.

Was told a pretty interesting Alfie story earlier this week.

Back in 1997 when the Rams were set up Alf was finding the public and media in Brisbane difficult to deal with and seriously considered asking for a release so he could play in Adelaide where the public and media there wouldn't be much and so he could have some anonymity. But Bennett talked him out of it.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Allo
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.