NEWS Andrew McCullough’s complicated contract a headache for Broncos

He wouldn't be leaving, he'd be staying and getting paid. What the 95% (apparently) are doing are being selfish, they're thinking how it affects them or doing a Sir Gallahad and defending the honour of the Broncos. What this 95% aren't doing is seeing it from McCullough's perspective and that's where I differ from most. I imagine I'm Macca and were it I, I'd say **** you all, give me what was promised and for once in your miserable lives live up to your side of the deal. I'd say both parties signed a contract in good faith and now one party wants to change things because it now suits them. Well fine but don't expect me(Macca speaking) to bend over for you. Pay me or offer recompense because I was prepared to do my part and you want to change, okay pay for that privilege. It's high time contracts regained meaning.
To be fair though, he's a professional and the average first grade career is 50 games. He's done very well and it's smarter career management if he goes for a 3 year contract elsewhere than to languish and reserves where he definitely will not get another contract when he's done. It's up to him if he wants to collect 1 mill and retire, or back himself at another club, go up a level and potentially play another 5 years and rake in 2mil.

Is this whole thing of "an option in the player's favour" for real? Because I just don't understand why any club would do it. It's literally impossible for the club to get a good deal, so why would they offer it?

It's a commitment to pay overs for a player going badly at the end of his contract. If he's going well though, he can just renegotiate either with his club or another club. At least without the option thing,you might end up with a good player for cheap. Why would a club offer a contract when game theory says they're bound to lose out?

To be fair though, he's a professional and the average first grade career is 50 games. He's done very well and it's smarter career management if he goes for a 3 year contract elsewhere than to languish and reserves where he definitely will not get another contract when he's done. It's up to him if he wants to collect 1 mill and retire, or back himself at another club, go up a level and potentially play another 5 years and rake in 2mil.
I think if he stays he can still be backing himself in a sense. Turpin gets a long term injury, Segeyaro goes off the rails and Macca's killing it in ISC. Could happen that way too. Being established in Brisbane with family, well what if he doesn't want to uproot? That's what I mean by viewing it from his perspective. I couldn't blame him for putting his family and himself first. Does anyone really think a public company wouldn't put IT'S needs first ? If he thinks about himself first he isn't hurting team mates even if there's not as much money around, he isn't hurting the coach or the club. They signed an agreement and a deals a deal. It's about honour as well, the Broncos have to live with their decisions. I say, do what's right for yourself(means family too) first.

He's a great clubman and I hope to see him remain with the club in some capacity, but not as a player.

There was a moment where Turpin set up a try the final try in the Manly game, and the camera showed Macca cheering in the box. So he's definitely a good team man (or he knows his spot is safe anyway). He's definitely a very likeable bloke, I just wish he was actually good enough to match that too, he'd be everyone's favourite then.

He wouldn't be leaving, he'd be staying and getting paid. What the 95% (apparently) are doing are being selfish, they're thinking how it affects them or doing a Sir Gallahad and defending the honour of the Broncos. What this 95% aren't doing is seeing it from McCullough's perspective and that's where I differ from most. I imagine I'm Macca and were it I, I'd say **** you all, give me what was promised and for once in your miserable lives live up to your side of the deal. I'd say both parties signed a contract in good faith and now one party wants to change things because it now suits them. Well fine but don't expect me(Macca speaking) to bend over for you. Pay me or offer recompense because I was prepared to do my part and you want to change, okay pay for that privilege. It's high time contracts regained meaning.

And I don’t disagree with any of this which is why I mentioned he does have every right to stay put and collect his money but does he want to be remembered this way or does he look to try and improve and get out of his comfort zone and see what’s out on the market?

As stale as he has become under us it is not out of the realms of impossibility that some club might pick him up and get the best out of him with him playing alongside different players. Just like seems to be eventuating with Kodi at the Warriors playing a slightly different role in a different balanced team.

What Macca needs to realise is if his game had of evolved as his career went on he’d be head and shoulders the out and out first choice No.9 for QLD this series.

What has disappointed me the most with Macca is after playing rep footy last season, I thought he would take his game to the next level but his football mystifyingly has become even more stagnant. Whether his injuries are holding him back I’m not sure but all I know is everyone has lost patience with him now that we have some depth at 9 now.

It was easy to persist with his game under Wayne because the club never put any thought process into that position hence why we seen such idiotic selections as Josh Maguire and Sam Thaiday playing that role instead or promoting within or going to market. I reckon with what Cook is providing Wayne at Souths I bet he has changed his tune with how important it is to have a decent 9 that provides more than just 50 tackles a game. I haven’t been this upbeat about the hooker position since we moved Berrigan there in 2006

The club just can't tell him he is gone. We all know that's not how this works. The club may tell him that their moving in another direction and he may end up playing qcup. It will be up to him to take that risk. He could earn more at a new club over the long term. Playing cup footy will hurt his asking price the longer he is there.

Like you say further down he could play cup and his chance to get back into our side may come up. But thats a big gamble at his age.

I don't think he owes us anything but if he is thinking straight he should take the best offer he can.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BroncosHQ mobile app

He needs to come straight back into the team and play 50 minutes and not 80. If he still proves a spud then, move him on

The club just can't tell him he is gone. We all know that's not how this works. The club may tell him that their moving in another direction and he may end up playing qcup. It will be up to him to take that risk. He could earn more at a new club over the long term. Playing cup footy will hurt his asking price the longer he is there.

Like you say further down he could play cup and his chance to get back into our side may come up. But thats a big gamble at his age.

I don't think he owes us anything but if he is thinking straight he should take the best offer he can.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BroncosHQ mobile app

I think his deal at the Broncos is probably the best deal he will get

Last edited:
All I can say is you all suck! And you lot have no understanding of loyalty & Yous obviously don't give a rat's about our players? We get pissed off with players who jump ship to chase the dollars. And supporters like you lot are showing your true colours when it comes to our boys.

It makes me both angry & sad reading the crap you have all written about a club legend!
If Andrew wants to leave I'll take back what I just wrote otherwise you lot that say get rid of him or move on, should be ashamed to call yourselves Broncos supporters

The NRL needs to bring in a loyalty dispensation for players like Andrew, clubs have a vested interest in keeping players like McCullough who the loyal fans love.
And the NRL should do more to make sure they stay at the one club, and they know this.
So Greenberg & Co get ya shit sorted

All I can say is you all suck! And you lot have no understanding of loyalty & Yous obviously don't give a rat's about our players? We get pissed off with players who jump ship to chase the dollars. And supporters like you lot are showing your true colours when it comes to our boys.

It makes me both angry & sad reading the crap you have all written about a club legend!
If Andrew wants to leave I'll take back what I just wrote otherwise you lot that say get rid of him or move on, should be ashamed to call yourselves Broncos supporters

The NRL needs to bring in a loyalty dispensation for players like Andrew, clubs have a vested interest in keeping players like McCullough who the loyal fans love.
And the NRL should do more to make sure they stay at the one club, and they know this.

Good stir.

There is a loyalty clause.

Rugby league is about winning football matches, not a charity for club legends....

Hi Mrs McCullough. I would be loyal to him if he was up to scratch as a player.
[automerge]1558761317[/automerge]
I've been a loyal fan since McCullough was less than 1 year old, guess the club owes me more than him.

Last edited:

Macca sucks, is not a club legend and up the Broncos. Good clubman sure, legend... Lol.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.